Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay I have no clue on anything to do with tax so sorry for my zero knowledge in this area. (I am over 18.)

So I moved out of my family home last month and moved in with my boyfriend's family. I used to give my mum £50 towards tax, but don't know if this was just generally towards helping pay the tax or if me living there caused tax to go up? When I moved out my mum rang up and told them I didn't live there anymore.

So is this now on my boyfriend's family to declare that I am living with them? And will this make their tax go up? If it does, how much? I have no idea how to go about any of this.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jig2)
    It's nothing to do with 'tax' - you pay tax to the taxman (HMRC), not to individuals. Your mum was probably claiming a benefit like Working Tax Credits, and lost money by having you live at home, and so you were paying £50 to make up the amount she lost. I don't know the details of WTC, but I don't suppose the same wil apply.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by jig2)
    Okay I have no clue on anything to do with tax so sorry for my zero knowledge in this area. (I am over 18.)

So I moved out of my family home last month and moved in with my boyfriend's family. I used to give my mum £50 towards tax, but don't know if this was just generally towards helping pay the tax or if me living there caused tax to go up? When I moved out my mum rang up and told them I didn't live there anymore.

So is this now on my boyfriend's family to declare that I am living with them? And will this make their tax go up? If it does, how much? I have no idea how to go about any of this.
    Which tax: council tax? Unless you are long-term resident with someone who was previously paying the single-person rate there's nothing extra to pay.

If your mum is a "single-person" she will now pay a lower rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Which tax: council tax? Unless you are long-term resident with someone who was previously paying the single-person rate there's nothing extra to pay.

If your mum is a "single-person" she will now pay a lower rate.
    Yes, council tax! Sorry should have mentioned that.

Ah, yes she was. That makes sense. I am moving into a home where there are two adults who own the house so guessing then their council tax will not go up with me living there? I still need to declare I live there though don't I?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by jig2)
    So my comment applies.

Your bf's family won't have any extra to pay. It's a tax on the value of the property, not the number of people living there (assuming it's 2 or more adults).

And no afaik you don't need to declare anything. But if you are unsure check with the local council.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    So my comment applies.

Your bf's family won't have any extra to pay. It's a tax on the value of the property, not the number of people living there (assuming it's 2 or more adults).

And no afaik you don't need to declare anything. But if you are unsure check with the local council.
    Fab! Thank you very much for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jig2)

Ah, yes she was. That makes sense. I am moving into a home where there are two adults who own the house so guessing then their council tax will not go up with me living there? I still need to declare I live there though don't I?
    Just to expand on previous answers, you don't have to declare to the council you live there I don't think, but you will want to register on the voters register at your new address.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.