The Student Room Group

ID checks for age restricted products (alcohol etc) - questions

Obviously I'm too young to drink at the moment; I don't turn 18 until 2018. In the mean time, I'm curious about just how strict the ID checks are (supermarkets in particular), since I've heard of cases where people in their 30s/40s/50s have been asked. This is mostly so I know what to expect when I turn 18.

From my understanding, all major supermarkets and most off licences (some on-trade places too) operate a policy known as Challenge 25, where the cashier will supposedly ask for a form of valid ID if the person looks under 25. A common alternative in some pubs and restaurants is Challenge 21, which operates along similar principles but is not officially as strict. However, there are still some questions I have regarding these proof of age checks.

*First of all, if they were to ask, how would they do so? Do most cashiers ask politely (like they would tell you the total price) or abrasively? Do they simply glance at the ID or do they challenge you further (aka what is your birth date)? Do they make a copy of it?

*Secondly, is it possible for anyone aged 18-20 to buy alcohol anywhere without being asked for ID? I'd imagine that restaurants and bars are less enforcive than supermarkets, however most will still be on the cautious side if the person only looks 18. My dad (49) has never been asked for ID in this country, and my mum (50) only got asked once or twice when in her late teens. Can this still be the case for anyone aged 18-25 today?

*Do any places in England still operate a policy whereby they only ask a person for ID if they look under 18? I rarely see challenge posters in licensed restaurants, but still make the assumption that anywhere without posters operates an unofficial C21 scheme.

*And finally, *why* are the C25 posters always so intimidating? Either they are bold capitals on a red background or have some sort of crime stamp typeface. Why? You should be treating ordinary, decent young people with respect... Every time I see these posters unexpectedly, I just want to go into tears. Seriously.

Using your personal experience, can you please try and answer my questions.

Scroll to see replies

They ask to see your ID and often compare it to a price on their monitor. Or do some mental maths.

They don't challenge you further.
On the whole supermarkets are the strictest places, probably followed by chain pubs (such as Spoons).
Most independents only really ask ID if the person looks under 18, or if they have other reasons to think they are under 18, or sometimes just to be awkward if a customer is annoying the member of staff.
ETA: clubs obviously check everyones ID on arrival.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by AlexS101
ETA: clubs obviously check everyones ID on arrival.

Ah, but do they ask regardless of how old somebody looks, or simply if they look under the age specified by their policy (eg 25)?
Original post by RJDG14
Ah, but do they ask regardless of how old somebody looks, or simply if they look under the age specified by their policy (eg 25)?

In most clubs they check everyone. When 99% of people are 18/19 its just easier to ask everyone.
Reply 5
Original post by AlexS101
In most clubs they check everyone. When 99% of people are 18/19 its just easier to ask everyone.

Well at least you know what to expect in this case. So if they have a policy to check everyone, would they bother displaying the usual "Under 25?" poster at the entrance or would they have a custom sign saying that ID is required?
I work in a supermarket and I'm always polite when I ask someone for their ID. We only do it if we're not 100% sure that they look over 25. It's 25 because people don't really change much in looks between let's say, 16-18, so a 16 year old could probably pass for an 18 year old, so if it was challenge 18 then it would be harder to tell? Idk.

I never challenge anyone further and no we don't take copies.

If you're 18 and look a fair bit older then you can probably get away with not being ID'd, sure.

And the posters are intimidating because they're supposed to ward off 16 year olds from trying to buy booze. You shouldn't feel threatened by them if you're doing nothing wrong.
Reply 7
Thanks for all the answers so far...
Apart from the one person in Lidl who wanted to id me for paracetamol (which isn't even a real age restricted product:tongue:),they are always polite when I get ID'd,it's only ever awkward when someone younger than me asks me for Id.
I get asked for ID quite often (I'm 20) because i'm so short.(4 11). It's no big deal, unless I've not got anything with me to prove my age.
To be fair I work in a bar and most of the time when I ask for ID, my mind goes blank and I just have to hazard a guess at the right year of birth
Reply 11
I'm now thinking about buying a 15 or 16 age restricted product from a supermarket to see what happens at the checkout, but am in two minds. I don't have a provisional licence but do have a passport (3 years old). Please can you give me some advice, and tell me if they're going to ID me or not (I thought they still apply C25). I kind of wanna be ID'd to see what it's like but am also afraid of doing so.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RJDG14
I'm now thinking about buying a 12-16 age restricted product from a supermarket to see what happens at the checkout, but am in two minds. I don't have a provisional licence but do have a passport (3 years old). Please can you give me some advice, and tell me if they're going to ID me or not.

You turn 18 in 2018 so you're 16 now I guess?

A 16 year old looks way older than a 12 year old, there should be no problem.
Original post by RJDG14
Obviously I'm too young to drink at the moment; I don't turn 18 until 2018. In the mean time, I'm curious about just how strict the ID checks are (supermarkets in particular), since I've heard of cases where people in their 30s/40s/50s have been asked. This is mostly so I know what to expect when I turn 18.

From my understanding, all major supermarkets and most off licences (some on-trade places too) operate a policy known as Challenge 25, where the cashier will supposedly ask for a form of valid ID if the person looks under 25. A common alternative in some pubs and restaurants is Challenge 21, which operates along similar principles but is not officially as strict. However, there are still some questions I have regarding these proof of age checks.

*First of all, if they were to ask, how would they do so? Do most cashiers ask politely (like they would tell you the total price) or abrasively? Do they simply glance at the ID or do they challenge you further (aka what is your birth date)? Do they make a copy of it?

*Secondly, is it possible for anyone aged 18-20 to buy alcohol anywhere without being asked for ID? I'd imagine that restaurants and bars are less enforcive than supermarkets, however most will still be on the cautious side if the person only looks 18. My dad (49) has never been asked for ID in this country, and my mum (50) only got asked once or twice when in her late teens. Can this still be the case for anyone aged 18-25 today?

*Do any places in England still operate a policy whereby they only ask a person for ID if they look under 18? I rarely see challenge posters in licensed restaurants, but still make the assumption that anywhere without posters operates an unofficial C21 scheme.

*And finally, *why* are the C25 posters always so intimidating? Either they are bold capitals on a red background or have some sort of crime stamp typeface. Why? You should be treating ordinary, decent young people with respect... Every time I see these posters unexpectedly, I just want to go into tears. Seriously.

Using your personal experience, can you please try and answer my questions.

I am a 19 year old uni student.

1) They just ask "can I see your ID please", but normally I have it out and ready for them already because I get ID'd 95% of the time as I have a little bit of a babyface :P

I've never been challenged further, aside from (I think this happened to me) once at a nightclub where I was asked my date of birth. I understand that having a mind blank could **** you over in this situation, but it was fine for me.

2) Their strictness isn't a problem for me as I always have ID out and ready. They do have different strictnesses though, as they don't want to get sued for selling alcohol to underage people.

If you look young you'll always get ID'd aside form rare cases, and some places do it for if you are under 25.

I look young so I always get ID'd

C25 posters are meant to be clear not intimidating (in my opinion). As they don't want problems at the checkout when someone doesn't have their ID.

You're getting your money out to pay them anyway, getting out your provisional driving license or student ID (accepted in some places) is really no hassle.

If you only have a passport as ID though, it's a pain in the ass. That is the case for a lot of international students in freshers week
Reply 14
Original post by Dancatpro
I am a 19 year old uni student.

1) They just ask "can I see your ID please", but normally I have it out and ready for them already because I get ID'd 95% of the time as I have a little bit of a babyface :P

I've never been challenged further, aside from (I think this happened to me) once at a nightclub where I was asked my date of birth. I understand that having a mind blank could **** you over in this situation, but it was fine for me.

2) Their strictness isn't a problem for me as I always have ID out and ready. They do have different strictnesses though, as they don't want to get sued for selling alcohol to underage people.

If you look young you'll always get ID'd aside form rare cases, and some places do it for if you are under 25.

I look young so I always get ID'd

C25 posters are meant to be clear not intimidating (in my opinion). As they don't want problems at the checkout when someone doesn't have their ID.

You're getting your money out to pay them anyway, getting out your provisional driving license or student ID (accepted in some places) is really no hassle.

If you only have a passport as ID though, it's a pain in the ass. That is the case for a lot of international students in freshers week

The provisional licence looks pretty easy to apply for (as state identity goes). I have to give them my personal/address details along with my passport number and a copy of a passport photo and my signature. Should I apply for one of these, maybe?

Also, at 16, do you have to get parental consent to apply? It doesn't say so, so I assume not.
Reply 15
I am still undecisive about whether or not I should go and buy a 16+ item from a stricter place. I'd like more advice.
Reply 16
Original post by RJDG14
I am still undecisive about whether or not I should go and buy a 16+ item from a stricter place. I'd like more advice.

There's no real point - it's nothing. Half the time I don't get ID checked anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Precious Illusions
I work in a supermarket and I'm always polite when I ask someone for their ID. We only do it if we're not 100% sure that they look over 25. It's 25 because people don't really change much in looks between let's say, 16-18, so a 16 year old could probably pass for an 18 year old, so if it was challenge 18 then it would be harder to tell? Idk.

I never challenge anyone further and no we don't take copies.

If you're 18 and look a fair bit older then you can probably get away with not being ID'd, sure.

And the posters are intimidating because they're supposed to ward off 16 year olds from trying to buy booze. You shouldn't feel threatened by them if you're doing nothing wrong.
Maybe you and your colleagues, but that being the case I can't imagine you'd be all that likely to ask a bloke who's totally bald and has a beard for ID. This actually happens to me, still, at twenty-seven.
Reply 18
Original post by Andy98
There's no real point - it's nothing. Half the time I don't get ID checked anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just wanted to see what it's like to be checked.
Reply 19
Original post by RJDG14
I just wanted to see what it's like to be checked.

"Yeah, do you have any ID mate?"

That's it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest