Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if it would hinder my application if I had previously had therapy sessions whilst filling out their survey (noting down I was suicidal and severely depressed) and then being diagnosed as having major depression and severe anxiety by a clinical psychologist.

Also would they be able to find out?

I am in the first year of my Biomedical Science degree as a mature student (22) with a view to enter into a graduate entry course.

Background: Left college due to not being able to cope with severe illness which led to major depression and anxiety, was then referred to a clinical psychologist a few years later in order to see if it helped in conjunction with medical treatment in order to treat severe illness.

Been working full time as a unofficial team leader within pharmaceutical distribution warehouse.

Thank you

TLDR: Do they give a crap if i was previously diagnosed with depression and anxiety and can they find out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tryng2ChngeLfe)
    I was just wondering if it would hinder my application if I had previously had therapy sessions whilst filling out their survey (noting down I was suicidal and severely depressed) and then being diagnosed as having major depression and severe anxiety by a clinical psychologist.

Also would they be able to find out?

I am in the first year of my Biomedical Science degree as a mature student (22) with a view to enter into a graduate entry course.

Background: Left college due to not being able to cope with severe illness which led to major depression and anxiety, was then referred to a clinical psychologist a few years later in order to see if it helped in conjunction with medical treatment in order to treat severe illness.

Been working full time as a unofficial team leader within pharmaceutical distribution warehouse.

Thank you

TLDR: Do they give a crap if i was previously diagnosed with depression and anxiety and can they find out?
    It doesn't make a difference at the application stage. If you are offered a place, you will need to fill in an Occupational Health questionnaire and may need to see them for an assessment once you start at uni. Do NOT lie on this as if it ever gets found out it would be a Fitness to Practice issue.

Mental health problems, especially depression and anxiety, are incredibly common, including among medical students. Having a history of this would not harm your application, occupational health may want to assess you to ensure you have the right support but wouldn't kick you out just because of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    It doesn't make a difference at the application stage. If you are offered a place, you will need to fill in an Occupational Health questionnaire and may need to see them for an assessment once you start at uni. Do NOT lie on this as if it ever gets found out it would be a Fitness to Practice issue.

Mental health problems, especially depression and anxiety, are incredibly common, including among medical students. Having a history of this would not harm your application, occupational health may want to assess you to ensure you have the right support but wouldn't kick you out just because of that.
    Okay sounds like it will be okay then

Thank you Dr Helenia

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.