The Student Room Group

How to revise for A-Level History? (AQA)

Hello again,

I already made a post about how to revise for sociology (as I need advice lol) and I'm having the same problem with History. Okay so, I am struggling with History and I just don't know how to revise for it. Like, I have covered Charles I up to the outbreak of Civil War, but there's so many holes in between that we didn't go over in class.

Before anyone asks to inform the teacher about this, I have and he wasn't as cooperative (putting it nicely). So, like religion I barely know anything about, and James I as well. Like people say 'oh read over the textbook and make notes as you go along' but I just don't find that effective. Does anyone know the most effective and beneficial way to revise for history? I really need help T_T

I'm just kinda sick of feeling so confused. It's frustrating when everyone else in class understands everything and are happy with the lessons. When I mention how I find it so confusing, they say they do too (when they really don't) and are always able to answer every questions.

P.S: I've already been informed about tutoring and what not. Anything else pls T_T
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Flashcards, essay plans, rewriting notes...it really is trying to figure out what works for you, I'm afraid. :redface: I found essay plans to be the best for essay subjects.
Original post by Airmed
Flashcards, essay plans, rewriting notes...it really is trying to figure out what works for you, I'm afraid. :redface: I found essay plans to be the best for essay subjects.

What exactly is essay plans and how do they help with revision?
Reply 4
Original post by Blancosdos
What exactly is essay plans and how do they help with revision?

I would look at questions and then write out a plan for what I wanted to include in them. They would start out long, with details for what each paragraph would cover, and I would shorten them as time went on until they were in bullet point form. Granted, it does not work for everyone, but it worked for me for History.
Original post by Airmed
I would look at questions and then write out a plan for what I wanted to include in them. They would start out long, with details for what each paragraph would cover, and I would shorten them as time went on until they were in bullet point form. Granted, it does not work for everyone, but it worked for me for History.

Oh thanks.Btw how did you revise the content?Was it from textbooks
Reply 6
Oh thanks.Btw how did you revise the content?Was it from textbooks

A mix of textbooks, my notes from class, and essay exams we were given at school or from my exam board. I did NICCEA, so I don't know if AQA give out examples of good and bad answers?
Original post by Airmed
A mix of textbooks, my notes from class, and essay exams we were given at school or from my exam board. I did NICCEA, so I don't know if AQA give out examples of good and bad answers?

Oh my that is an unusual exam board

Thanks for the tips.Are you doing History at uni?
Reply 8
Oh my that is an unusual exam board

Thanks for the tips.Are you doing History at uni?

It's the Northern Ireland exam board :laugh:

I am studying Politics at uni actually. I did a history module last year at uni, but the choices at my uni for history are pretty crappy (I was misled when I applied). But I keep up with history, I own more history books than politics ones, and I plan to read History at masters level when I graduate from undergrad.
Original post by change06
Hello again,

I already made a post about how to revise for sociology (as I need advice lol) and I'm having the same problem with History. Okay so, I am struggling with History and I just don't know how to revise for it. Like, I have covered Charles I up to the outbreak of Civil War, but there's so many holes in between that we didn't go over in class.

Before anyone asks to inform the teacher about this, I have and he wasn't as cooperative (putting it nicely). So, like religion I barely know anything about, and James I as well. Like people say 'oh read over the textbook and make notes as you go along' but I just don't find that effective. Does anyone know the most effective and beneficial way to revise for history? I really need help T_T

I'm just kinda sick of feeling so confused. It's frustrating when everyone else in class understands everything and are happy with the lessons. When I mention how I find it so confusing, they say they do too (when they really don't) and are always able to answer every questions.

P.S: I've already been informed about tutoring and what not. Anything else pls T_T

Hey, sorry for such a late reply but if you need help or have any questions feel free to PM me because I'm doing the same exam board, so it'll be good revision for the both of us.

The revision method that I'm using is typing up all my notes and making comparison tables between James and Charles as well as the effect of certain events. Planning essays is also good but the main thing with history is being good at analysis and concise so when you make a point analyse it clearly and move on.
Original post by change06
Hello again,

Hi Change,

You might find this article on A-level History revision helpful:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/tutor-article/a-level-history/colour-coded-revision-cards/2647

Personally, I would also make lists of important events/dates and draw funny little stick figure cartoon representations of each thing. It was silly and basic, but the picture helped my brain remember all the events. I would also set information to music - just simple little songs - and the music would provide the hook to remember the info.

Good luck!

Emma
basically what I do is get an essay question and write in note form what you would write out in full- i.e. if the question was 'what was the most significant reason for ......' then write out what all the significant factors are, why they happened, when, who etc, and why they were significant. this gives you a set of notes surrounding a subject area and you can make it as wide or specific as you want, so if it was for a broad overview of a topic you could do a question such as 'why was Charles I's transition into power difficult' and you could give reasons such as his vast inheritence, and then go into why he got all of that, and his different culture. If you wanted a more detailed or specific set of notes, make the question more specific i.e. to what extent were aragon and castile united under ferdinand and isabella; or whatever your topic is. I find it helps if i do what I can from memory and then go over the topic in my textbook and if I have missed any information out, i write it in a different colour. hope this helps
Reply 12
I did mind maps, going through every lesson I've had condensing my notes and adding bits from my revision book. Afterwards I'd highlight key dates/names I'd also add some quotes from historians on the back of the map. They say the best way to test your knowledge is to teach what you've learnt, rather than put my parents through that torture I used to just present my mindmaps to myself, it helped me make links between the information and create my own opinion about the signifance of an event/person. It would also be useful to look at the exam board specification for the subject. If you type your exam board into google and find their history a level page it will give you an idea of the kind of factors/themes they'll be focusing your exam on. For example, my essay Q we're always either on economy, foreign policy or social or political factors. Therefore I made a broad essay plan for key points under each factor for every topic. As everyone has said essay writing is really important, not only will it make your stress less on the day of the exam as you'll have figured out a structure that works for you but it is likely that an essay you do for revision may turn up - it happend for me in AS. Oh and this is just what I did when writing essays, something my teacher suggested to the class, that you leave space to write your introduction and go back to it at the end. Often people contradict themselves by writing one thing in their intro then when discussing the facts reaches an entirely different conclusion. Anyway good luck for your exams, history is really hard so make sure you start revising early, though don't overhwhelm yourself.
My school recommends flash cards and Mindmaps. I found that mindmaps were good for short term memory, but if you put them up on your bedroom wall and read everyday they will be good longterm. I find flash cards are good but not for all parts of the course.

Essay plans are best for me + doing essays :smile:, also I made my own quizes. I did modern American History so did 50questions on Civil Rights,60 on the economy etc. It was really helpful!
Did you do American history 1955-92? If so could you give me any of your essay plans as I am really struggling

Quick Reply

Latest