Turn on thread page Beta

You must be a complete joke of a politician if watch

ReputationRep:
    you're not beating the likes of Donald Trump by a wide margin. Most of the polls show a narrow Clinton victory but the fact that Trump still has a chance shows just how little she has going for her as a candidate. For any politician worth his/her salt, this should have been a walk in the park; she couldn't has asked for a better opponent. But I guess that when you're Hillary you manage to screw up even after everything has been handed to you on a platter.

Do any of her "supporters" actually like her, as opposed to simply seeing her as the lesser evil?

ReputationRep:
    Bitter much?

Complacency, that's why she isn't winning how she's "meant" to be winning. That, the countless scandals surrounding her, her family and organisation, and not to mention the anti-establishment movement sweeping over the Western world.

It's about time this happened, though. Her and her husband are absolute filth, 650,000 more emails are being probed as we speak - what a joke.

ReputationRep:
    It is amazing isnt it that in a country of over 300,000,000 people, this is the best two that they could come up with.
    His big attraction to his voters is that he comes from outside the political establishment and says things that others wont. Oh... and he's not her.
    Her big attraction to her voters is that her husband was the president and she has a vagina. Oh....and she's not him.
    One thing for certain it has made the the election far more interesting to watch than any other year i can remember.
    The next one will have to go some to beat this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    Bitter much?

Complacency, that's why she isn't winning how she's "meant" to be winning. That, the countless scandals surrounding her, her family and organisation, and not to mention the anti-establishment movement sweeping over the Western world.

It's about time this happened, though. Her and her husband are absolute filth, 650,000 more emails are being probed as we speak - what a joke.
    Not bitter, just in awe of how royally someone can mess up.

I wouldn't call it "anti-establishment" if the solution is to support someone who is the embodiment of the establishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    It is amazing isnt it that in a country of over 300,000,000 people, this is the best two that they could come up with.
    His big attraction to his voters is that he comes from outside the political establishment and says things that others wont. Oh... and he's not her.
    Her big attraction to her voters is that her husband was the president and she has a vagina. Oh....and she's not him.
    One thing for certain it has made the the election far more interesting to watch than any other year i can remember.
    Very true . I always make it a point to vote during every election, so if I was American it would probably feel like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. The whole thing resembles a circus more than a presidential race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    I wouldn't call it "anti-establishment" if the solution is to support someone who is the embodiment of the establishment.
    This. It's the natural mutation of the populist teaparty phenomenon where, instead of rallying behind a puppet politician controlled by the super rich few, they now skip that step and vote for one of the few. Count me in as being in awe of the circus show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Not bitter, just in awe of how royally someone can mess up.

He isn't :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    He isn't
    I'm sorry but I don't see how someone who is known for being a real estate mogul in a world in which multi-national corporations hold more political power than anyone else represents anything other than the establishment. If you think that supporting someone because he can say racist and sexist things without caring about the PC brigade makes you edgy, you need to learn more about what it really means to be anti-establishment.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but I don't see how someone who is known for being a real estate mogul in a world in which multi-national corporations hold more political power than anyone else represents anything other than the establishment. If you think that supporting someone because he can say racist and sexist things without caring about the PC brigade makes you edgy, you need to learn more about what it really means to be anti-establishment.
    Gets essentially no money from ultra wealthy and Wall Street (unlike Hillary who has got the most ever by some distance).

Almost entire mainstream media hates him and has been gunning for him for over a year.

Made this historic speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQcZMGe4p0

What you don't understand that his wealth is what allows him to do this. It's called "f*ck you money" and meant that he could fund his primary himself and not beg the usual suspects for money.

That you think wealth is the same as power just shows your lack of understanding or comprehension of what the establishment actually is or consists of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antioch)
    Gets essentially no money from ultra wealthy and Wall Street (unlike Hillary who has got the most ever by some distance).

Almost entire mainstream media hates him and has been gunning for him for over a year.

Made this historic speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQcZMGe4p0

What you don't understand that his wealth is what allows him to do this. It's called "f*ck you money" and meant that he could fund his primary himself and not beg the usual suspects for money.

That you think wealth is the same as power just shows your lack of understanding or comprehension of what the establishment actually is or consists of.
    He also:
    1) Told everyone how corrupt he was with no consequences. This little gem says it all:
    I give to everybody. When they call, I give. And yunno what, when I need something from them, two years later, three years later, I call them, they are there for me.
    2) Got nearly $3 billion of free advertising.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tru...ing-2016-05-06

3) Has no political qualifications or experience, yet was able to run for office.

4) Refused to release his tax returns and faced no consequences.

5) Bribed a stated attorney general to drop charges against him.

6) Dodged the draft for the Vietnam war multiple times, yet faced no consequences and was still able to run for office.

Those are just a few of many reasons why Trump is the establishment. Sure, this is the man who is a powerless outsider who really does understand the common folk

ReputationRep:
    He also:
    1) Told everyone how corrupt he was with no consequences. This little gem says it all:
    The whole purpose of that quote was to make a comment on how donors control politicians so that he could address that with policies when elected and so that he could call attention to the other people he was running against having positions based on what their donors want.

2) Got nearly $3 billion of free advertising.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tru...ing-2016-05-06
    Because the media were so desperate to take him down that they covered him incessantly. You know that 91% of Trump coverage was negative? - http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-med...egative-230297

He played the media using his abilites. It doesn't have to do with "oh hes establishment like us so lets help him".

Has no political qualifications or experience, yet was able to run for office.
    hahah

So that the US has a more open system for party leader selection than we do is a sign that Trump is establishment?

You realise you argument here is literally "Trump is not an established politician ergo he is the epitome of the establishment". It's completely backwards.

Loads of people, poor and rich, dodged the draft. That doesn't mean anything.

Those are just a few of many reasons why Trump is the establishment. Sure, this is the man who is a powerless outsider who really does understand the common folk
    You didn't address any of my points but I addressed a number of yours.

Why is media coverage of him so overwhelmingly negative if he isn't a threat to the establishment?

Why is he getting the least Wall Street donations as a percentage of total raised than any Republican or Democratic nominee in recent (i.e. decades) history?

The same is true of other wealthy donor sources. Why is that?

Why is he calling out the establishment by name? And advocating policies (restrictions on lobbying, protectionism, trust busting, etc.) that are absolutely not in the interests of the extremely wealthy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antioch)
    The whole purpose of that quote was to make a comment on how donors control politicians so that he could address that with policies when elected and so that he could call attention to the other people he was running against having positions based on what their donors want.
    If he knows that it's wrong then why does he do it? Will his plans include scrutinising himself as one of those corrupt donors who uses his wealth and power to get what he wants?

Because the media were so desperate to take him down that they covered him incessantly. You know that 91% of Trump coverage was negative? - http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-med...egative-230297
    The majority of Clinton's news coverage has been negative too, does this mean that she is anti-establishment? The media prints what will sell, and Trump happens to be up to his neck in controversy. One of the most read papers in the US absolutely adores him, or is Fox News against the establishment as well now?

He played the media using his abilites. It doesn't have to do with "oh hes establishment like us so lets help him".
    Or he has connections that help him get what he wants, as he himself admitted. His "abilities" stem from his corruption.

hahah

So that the US has a more open system for party leader selection than we do is a sign that Trump is establishment? You realise you argument here is literally "Trump is not an established politician ergo he is the epitome of the establishment". It's completely backwards.
    The fact that he was so privileged, he was able to do what hardly anyone with his lack of qualifications and experience could have done indicates that he is the establishment.

Loads of people, poor and rich, dodged the draft. That doesn't mean anything.
    And lots of less privileged people have been imprisoned for draft evasion, yet he had nothing to worry about and has never faced any consequences. How does someone like that relate to the common folk?

Why is media coverage of him so overwhelmingly negative if he isn't a threat to the establishment?

Why is he getting the least Wall Street donations as a percentage of total raised than any Republican or Democratic nominee in recent (i.e. decades) history?
    I already addressed the point about the media but can understand things from the perspective of Wall Street. They have two candidates who essentially represent the establishment, however one continuously makes extremely foolish remarks both on camera and social media, always exposing himself as someone who is not well-versed in current, political affairs and therefore would be laughing stock if chosen to represent their country. Of course they would prefer the candidate more similar in demeanour to many of the (equally corrupt) former presidents.

The same is true of other wealthy donor sources. Why is that?
    You mean like the RNC? :laugh:. Up until the last scandal where he bragged bout sexual assault, he had the backing of several prominent and wealthy Republicans.

Why is he calling out the establishment by name? And advocating policies (restrictions on lobbying, protectionism, trust busting, etc.) that are absolutely not in the interests of the extremely wealthy?
    Because he is a man who will say whatever he thinks he has to say in order to win the election. Many a time he has changed his policies where he thought that doing so would work to his advantage. A prime example is his proposed Muslim ban, which he backtracked on later on and denied.

Except that a number of his proposals, including his tax cuts would indeed benefit the wealthiest 1% more than anyone else. He is not some crucified martyr who would be willing to introduce policies which would work to his own detriment.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.