Turn on thread page Beta

Is anyone still using/considering switching to a 'dumb phone'? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you use a brick/dumb phone?
    Yes
    22.22%
    No
    44.44%
    I'm considering it
    33.33%

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Is there anyone else here who uses a dumb phone (i.e. non-smart phone)? New or old, high end or cheap, doesn't matter as long as it can't handle modern mobile internet and phone apps. Or perhaps you're a smart phone user who's considering switching to one?

The first phone I ever owned was a Sendo S330i, in 2004 when the manufacturer was still in business. I've had two phones since, both were Sendos of the same or similar model. :yes: I have used a smartphone, have to for work purposes... but I'm not keen. :no: I'm curious to know who else (if anyone) feels the same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Is there anyone else here who uses a dumb phone (i.e. non-smart phone)? New or old, high end or cheap, doesn't matter as long as it can't handle modern mobile internet and phone apps. Or perhaps you're a smart phone user who's considering switching to one?

The first phone I ever owned was a Sendo S330i, in 2004 when the manufacturer was still in business. I've had two phones since, both were Sendos of the same or similar model. I have used a smartphone, have to for work purposes... but I'm not keen. I'm curious to know who else (if anyone) feels the same!
    I've got a brick as i call it. A Nokia, which doesn't really do anything but calls and texts. But then that is good enough for me. I use my laptop for the rest...

J

I carry around my blackberry sometimes but I don't know if that's a dumb phone :/

ReputationRep:
    Since I gave up on Facebook and lost my last smart phone, I've used a crappy little Samsung. I've lost so many phones that was costing me to much and I hardly ever used it for much except texts and calling. Works for what I need.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Personally there's no benefit for me to using a dumb phone nowadays. My calendar is on my phone and syncs everywhere, all my photos, music, videos, etc. are on my phone and sync everywhere and I frequently read articles, books, etc. via my phone when I've got spare time. Not to mention having a permanent internet connection is convenient.

Switching to a dumb phone would be a huge inconvenience, largely because I'd be forced to carry lots of extra stuff with me and do a lot more in terms of manual backups and file transfers. Smart phones mean convenience.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I use a brick. I don't want to be the guy who's constantly texting and looking at emails and Facebook in lectures. Or should I say, one of the many folks who do that...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    This thread needs a poll!

And no, I don't use a dumb phone. I would use one if I didn't maps, could read the screen and could actually type on one. :lol:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    This thread needs a poll!
    Ask and you shall receive. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    it is like really insulting calling a perfectly good phone dumb ?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by the bear)
    it is like really insulting calling a perfectly good phone dumb ?
    I thought the same when I first heard the term. :sadnod: The Sendo S330i was rather intelligent for its time!

ReputationRep:
    Would like a k800i.

My sister gave me one when she upgraded to k810i and not long after, I broke it. I still feel angry now whenever I think about it

ReputationRep:
    It would be a massive inconvenience at university, I need to check my email and Facebook regularly. Also, using Messenger/WhatsApp is far better than SMS, and you'd have to get other people to go back to texting just for you. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about it... I saw some of the new Nokia phones have WhatsApp and Facebook and that's all I need really.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    For their time, they were pretty intelligent. I don't like the term "dumb phone".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 1, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.