Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Queensland Australia, and because of the way our system is shaped, I have taken mostly math and science based subjects for my senior year even though I am applying for Law. UCAS didn't need my subjects or a transcript, and I was wondering if I should send one anyways if I did very well in all my subjects? would it help or make it worse because the subjects aren't law-based???
    Would appreciate all advice given. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    If they want a transcript then they'll ask for one. If you did particularly well in your subjects (I assume you mean a high overall %) then that should have been mentioned in your academic reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mh1111)
    I'm from Queensland Australia, and because of the way our system is shaped, I have taken mostly math and science based subjects for my senior year even though I am applying for Law. UCAS didn't need my subjects or a transcript, and I was wondering if I should send one anyways if I did very well in all my subjects? would it help or make it worse because the subjects aren't law-based???
    Would appreciate all advice given. Thank you
    I did Law 1A followed by Natural Sciences at Cambridge, which is an odd combination but makes me well placed to advise, I think.

Law really does need a grounding in some discursive subjects - you need to be able to show that you can write well, logically and have an ability to construct a verbally-reasoned argument using appropriate evidence. That said, science subjects teach rigour in logic and mastery of detail, so they are not entirely irrelevant. I think you'd ideally have an arts AND science background, but having only sciences does not rule you out - it just might make it more difficult. You'd be well advised to pick a few colleges you're interested in and ring up/email Admissions' Tutors to ask their opinions on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I did Law 1A followed by Natural Sciences at Cambridge, which is an odd combination but makes me well placed to advise, I think.

Law really does need a grounding in some discursive subjects - you need to be able to show that you can write well, logically and have an ability to construct a verbally-reasoned argument using appropriate evidence. That said, science subjects teach rigour in logic and mastery of detail, so they are not entirely irrelevant. I think you'd ideally have an arts AND science background, but having only sciences does not rule you out - it just might make it more difficult. You'd be well advised to pick a few colleges you're interested in and ring up/email Admissions' Tutors to ask their opinions on it.
    Okay, thank you
    Sorry to keep bothering you but if I have taken English, Physics, Chemistry, Math, Further Math and Japanese, does my English subject demonstrate that ability?

My main concern is that my subjects don't seem to suggest my strong interest in Law, which I'm afraid will be detrimental to my application.

Thanks again for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you
    Sorry to keep bothering you but if I have taken English, Physics, Chemistry, Math, Further Math and Japanese, does my English subject demonstrate that ability?

My main concern is that my subjects don't seem to suggest my strong interest in Law, which I'm afraid will be detrimental to my application.

Thanks again for the advice.
    You're welcome, and I'm happy to help. In terms of essay writing, you've only got English to demonstrate this: was it English literature, or language? Japanese as a modern foreign language obviously demonstrates facility with language, and this will help any prospective application.

As for your subjects showing an interest in Law, I wouldn't worry about that. Subjects that you might think 'relevant' to Law, such as Law A Level (or your high School equivalent), Government and Politics etc are seen as rather infra dig, to be honest, and top universities would much rather you did hard, 'academic' subjects (such as the sciences you mention) than these frilly leisure courses.

Your interest in law is shown during the application and interview process, rather than in the subjects you've chosen to take at the end of your schooling. The Cambridge website is pretty good for giving contact details for colleges and the subject - have a look. And, as I say, try contacting a few Admissions' Tutors to see how your results sit with what they're looking for. They can sometimes be a bit difficult to get hold of, but when you do they're usually very nice people. They won't bite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    You're welcome, and I'm happy to help. In terms of essay writing, you've only got English to demonstrate this: was it English literature, or language? Japanese as a modern foreign language obviously demonstrates facility with language, and this will help any prospective application.

As for your subjects showing an interest in Law, I wouldn't worry about that. Subjects that you might think 'relevant' to Law, such as Law A Level (or your high School equivalent), Government and Politics etc are seen as rather infra dig, to be honest, and top universities would much rather you did hard, 'academic' subjects (such as the sciences you mention) than these frilly leisure courses.

Your interest in law is shown during the application and interview process, rather than in the subjects you've chosen to take at the end of your schooling. The Cambridge website is pretty good for giving contact details for colleges and the subject - have a look. And, as I say, try contacting a few Admissions' Tutors to see how your results sit with what they're looking for. They can sometimes be a bit difficult to get hold of, but when you do they're usually very nice people. They won't bite.
    English is just English the subject in Australia.

Thank you so much for the advice again, I just called the college and they said it should be fine.

Sending you heaps of positive energy from Australia

ReputationRep:
    English is just English the subject in Australia.

Thank you so much for the advice again, I just called the college and they said it should be fine.

Sending you heaps of positive energy from Australia
    :grin: thank you!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.