Do more lessons/private practice make you a better driver in the long run? Watch

sauce
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
The big question :eek3:. I know most people say "the most experience you'll ever recieve is what you get on your own on the road" etc. However it may be obvious the awnser to my question, because in theory it should be "yes". However there are some people on this forum/I know in r/l that passed fairly quickly but seem to be perfectly competent drivers.

Another example on the flipside is my mum was a really nervous driver,passed after 40 lessons
about an odd 20 years ago but now she is a REALLY good driver. My aunty passed a few years before her, and when I'm with her in the car I genuinely fear for my life, she's a really "eratic"(in lack of better word) driver and is really too nippy,over revs/inconsiderate etc.

But then another thing to be considered is the fact different quality of driving instructor and the person's personality etc.

Enough ramble from me what are YOUR opinions :cool:?
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yup. It's a practical skill, so the more you drive (up to a point) the better you will get. And going it alone means that there is no-one else to back you up so you'll have to concentrate more, and thus improve.
Lolly-88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Personally i don't think it's about the quantity of lessons more like the quality. I've had three driving instructors...the first wasn't qualified (i didn't know that at the time) and she never told me really basic things like changing to a lower gear when approaching junctions or slowing down...therefore i would always stall everytime i came to a roundabout or junction and i though it was because i was crap. I was never really able to improve my driving much becuase i never knew basic things like that...and i had about 40 hours of lessons with her.

My second instructor was qulaified but he was an arse...he told me things (like changing gears etc) that my previous intructor didn't...however he didn't explain why i had to do it...e.g. i knew i had to check my centre and left mirror if i turned left...but didn't really understand why.

My instructor i have now is amazing. I've had a few lessons with her and after the first hour my driving improved dramaticly. She makes sure i understand everything...constantly asks me questions about it. I think if i had her from the start i would have passed my test ages ago by now.

So basically i really think it's not about how many lessons you have because if you have a crap instructor you'll still probably be a crap driver...however if you have a good instructor and have decent lessons then you will probably become a better driver in the long run.
sauce
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
^^^ good point ;yes;
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (75)
19.38%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (157)
40.57%
Nope, not that interesting (155)
40.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed