Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I undertook a BA (Hons) about 5 years ago and finished with a BA after failing my dissertation module and choosing to accept a job offer rather than retaking the dissertation module capped at 40%.

I've recently wanted to go back to Uni (different course and different university this time) but I am quite confused about if I can get it fully funded or not..? Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by eXcile)
    I undertook a BA (Hons) about 5 years ago and finished with a BA after failing my dissertation module and choosing to accept a job offer rather than retaking the dissertation module capped at 40%.

I've recently wanted to go back to Uni (different course and different university this time) but I am quite confused about if I can get it fully funded or not..? Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks
    No because you already have an undergrad degree - the lack of Hons doesn't make any difference. But what about a postgrad (and therefore you would get the Postgraduate Loan)? Some universities may consider you, especially as a mature student - but you will have to ask around...

https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/overview

Alternatively you can get undergrad funding for a 2nd degree if the course is STEM and is part-time.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    As jneill says, there is pretty much no funding now for second undergraduate degrees - in a few courses like medicine, dentistry you can access student loans for maintenance, but even here you cannot access tutition fee loans. They all come under ELQ rules (equivalent or lower qualification). The government decided to withdraw funding for second undergraduate degrees so it could concentrate resources on those taking a first degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    As jneil says, there is pretty much no funding now for second undergraduate degrees - in a few courses like medicine, dentistry you can access student loans for maintenance, but even here you cannot access tutition fee loans. They all come under ELQ rules (equivalent or lower qualification). The government decided to withdraw funding for second undergraduate degrees so it could concentrate resources on those taking a first degree.
    Okay that makes sense, thanks for your help!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Okay that makes sense, thanks for your help!
    And see my edit about the part-time option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    And see my edit about the part-time option.
    This could be an option, would it be the Universities themselves that would offer advice on part-time or STEM course study? Or is there further information on these options?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    This could be an option, would it be the Universities themselves that would offer advice on part-time or STEM course study? Or is there further information on these options?
    Just have a look for part-time courses in a STEM subject that interests you. Almost all will qualify for the funding.

OU is, obviously, a major provider. But there are others too.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.