Turn on thread page Beta

Is it normal to forget everything you learnt? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it normal to forget almost all of A level maths and degree level? I finished a physics degree last year and I have honestly forgotten 95% of what I learnt. It feels like such a waste and I wonder if there's something wrong with me. I can remember the basics of calculus and differential equations as that's what was used in my degree - but only the basic types like separation of variables. I would honestly have no idea how to integrate a bernoulli equation. I have completely forgotten S1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuclearphysics16)
    Is it normal to forget almost all of A level maths and degree level? I finished a physics degree last year and I have honestly forgotten 95% of what I learnt. It feels like such a waste and I wonder if there's something wrong with me. I can remember the basics of calculus and differential equations as that's what was used in my degree - but only the basic types like separation of variables. I would honestly have no idea how to integrate a bernoulli equation. I have completely forgotten S1.
    It's around 30 years since I graduated and my personal experience is that I remember what I did in first year uni pretty well, and 2nd year somewhat. There's not much I remember well from 3rd/4th year. The difference is that I used the stuff I learnt in 1st / 2nd year quite a lot after I studied them (in order to do 3rd/4th year courses), and that extra practice once you understand the topics and are seeing how they apply to more difficult scenarios makes a difference to long term retention.

Also, I've answered questions like this before on TSR, and since I've been on here 10 years, I'd say I have noticed a bit of deterioration in what I remember - I remembered the 2nd year courses reasonably well 10 years ago, it's definitely hazier now.

FWIW, outside of this forum, I don't do any significant mathematics anymore, and haven't done so for many years.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.