Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've done so badly its not even funny. I got:
    A- Psych
    A- Socio
    C- Bio
    D- Chem

And i'd be happy with that if the A's were in Bio and Chem because i want to do Medicine. But they're not! So now i need to do some serious retaking.
    My Questions:

1. Can you only do 3 module retakes?

2. Here's my AS AQA Bio grades:
    Unit 1: 63/90 B
    Unit 2: 65/90 B
    Unit 3: 79/120 C
    Overall: C
    Surely if i retake unit 3 and get an A, my overall grade will also be an A? So only retaking 3 will get me an A hopefully?

3. And Edexcel Nuffield Chemistry AS:
    Unit 1: 65/90 B
    Unit 2: 51/120 :/ E
    Unit 3: 39/90 :/ E
    Overall: D
    Now, surely taking 2 and 3 and getting A's or B's will bump me up to and A or at least a B? Or is there a way of getting a B and only retaking one?

4. Should i continue all 4 next year? Originally i planned to drop sociology, but now i've gotten into this pickle, maybe i shouldn't. Its a good subject, i enjoy it and its easy, but is it just added stress? Or will it help me to get into medicine?

5. I got really high UMS scores in psychology and sociology. Is there any way of checking online what the highest ones were?

PLEASE PLEASE help me. I'm freaking out, i've always done well in school, its just about the only thing i'm good at, i don't play an instrument or play a sport so i depended on grades to get me into a good uni. Well that and how friendly i am / lol. Anyway, even if you know one answer to one question, please tell me, thanks. I know its not the end of the world, but it sure as hell feels like it, lol. xx

ReputationRep:
    I've done so badly its not even funny. I got:
    A- Psych
    A- Socio
    C- Bio
    D- Chem

And i'd be happy with that if the A's were in Bio and Chem because i want to do Medicine. But they're not! So now i need to do some serious retaking.
    My Questions:

1. Can you only do 3 module retakes?

2. Here's my AS AQA Bio grades:
    Unit 1: 63/90 B
    Unit 2: 65/90 B
    Unit 3: 79/120 C
    Overall: C
    Surely if i retake unit 3 and get an A, my overall grade will also be an A? So only retaking 3 will get me an A hopefully?

3. And Edexcel Nuffield Chemistry AS:
    Unit 1: 65/90 B
    Unit 2: 51/120 :/ E
    Unit 3: 39/90 :/ E
    Overall: D
    Now, surely taking 2 and 3 and getting A's or B's will bump me up to and A or at least a B? Or is there a way of getting a B and only retaking one? And is it true you can't retake unit 2 on edexcel nuffield because its coursework?

4. Should i continue all 4 next year? Originally i planned to drop sociology, but now i've gotten into this pickle, maybe i shouldn't. Its a good subject, i enjoy it and its easy, but is it just added stress? Or will it help me to get into medicine?

5. I got really high UMS scores in psychology and sociology. Is there any way of checking online what the highest ones were?

PLEASE PLEASE help me. I'm freaking out, i've always done well in school, its just about the only thing i'm good at, i don't play an instrument or play a sport so i depended on grades to get me into a good uni. Well that and how friendly i am / lol. Anyway, even if you know one answer to one question, please tell me, thanks. I know its not the end of the world, but it sure as hell feels like it, lol. xx

ReputationRep:
    regardin bio you need at least 112/120 2 get an A. so i would advise perhaps retaking another module. im not too sure about chemistry

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you, I want to do Electronic Engineering at Uni but only got a C in Maths and Physics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadeem 21)
    regardin bio you need at least 112/120 2 get an A. so i would advise perhaps retaking another module. im not too sure about chemistry
    Nah you only ned 96/120 to get an A in biology module 3 i myself was 3 marks off it...anyways thats besides the point..i'd advise doing the retake for biology but again i concur with nadeem21 that chemistry would be a waste...maybe you should consider something else like physics if your the mathmatical type or perhaps even maths itself i know to do medicine they want 2 sciences at least which includes maths..also some uni's prefer you to offer subjects apart from science which may bring you at an advantage considering the A's in the other subjects that you got...Hope this helps and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, i think if i really memorised all of the physiology stuff i could get 96 or whatever, i got 100% on 2 modules in psychology and one in sociology so i guess i spread my time around wrong. but my point is if i really got to grips with it i could get 96/120, doesn't seem too bad. Also, i think its a bit too late to take up another subject, and the uni's i'm most interested in say chemistry is a must. And i like chemistry more than i like physics or maths. So chemistry retakes are going to have to be done, just which ones? thanks :]

ReputationRep:
    anyone else help on chem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muggle Born)
    Nah you only ned 96/120 to get an A in biology module 3 i myself was 3 marks off it...anyways thats besides the point..i'd advise doing the retake for biology but again i concur with nadeem21 that chemistry would be a waste...maybe you should consider something else like physics if your the mathmatical type or perhaps even maths itself i know to do medicine they want 2 sciences at least which includes maths..also some uni's prefer you to offer subjects apart from science which may bring you at an advantage considering the A's in the other subjects that you got...Hope this helps and good luck!
    No, Nadeem 21 was correct to get an A grade overall (not just in that module,) he'd need 112/120.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation as you are! Want to do medicine and got a C for edexcel chemistry and a D for CIE biology

My advantage is that I'll be able to resit my biology earlier in November cause it's CIE. Therefore in christmas I'll just need to worry about edexcel chemistry and maths (which I got a B and want to make it an A).

In total, I'm retaking about 6 modules. I'm really scared as I'll also have to prepare myself for my A2 modules, but I think that if I try hard enough I'll make it. By the way, I'm also picking AS psychology, so let's see how all goes!:confused:

I think you should try to get an A in biology and a B in chemistry. The lowest grades med unis accept are ABB/AAB. Good luck!

Unit 3 in Biology is experimental skills/subject unit. So you can't get a A without re-taking coursework !!!

ReputationRep:
    It depends here how much work you have to put into sociology and psychology in order to get those A's. If you're a natural, and can just DO it with minimal work, then keep both. If they're time consuming, maybe you should drop one, because unis NEVER ask for more than AAB and an A in an AS, which you'd already have. That would pave the way for you to resit however many additional modules you're planning on doing.

I have no idea what the units are in these exam boards (I'm WJEC), but I'd try to retake Unit 3 and EITHER Unit 1 or 2 in Biology, and then Unit 2 and 3 in Chemistry to try and bump your grade up a bit. If both Unit 3's are practicals (I don't know!) you should take Unit 1 Biology and Unit 2 Chemistry in January, wait for the results, and then if need be retake the other two in June.

This is completely possible. My friend dragged herself up from a C in Chemistry and Biology and got 3 A's. She is now off to Liverpool to read medicine.

One other piece of advice - don't cash your grades in. If your school does it automatically, try to "uncash" them as such. You don't have to declare them on the UCAS form then, and all they have are predicted grades. Start off your year convincing your teachers that you've turned over a new leaf and try to get that elusive AAB prediction.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can retake as many as you want. Retake as many as poss. Don't do 4 subjects for A2 if retaking lots.

ReputationRep:
    basicially you're in the same boat as I was in last year. I also got a C in bio and a D in chem and was applying for med school. It depends on the following:

1) How arsed you are to spend the next year in complete solitude, because to get A's in bio and chem is pretty much some sort of godly feat. It doens't matter that in the past you were good at science, the jump from gcse to as-level is something most people aren't prepared for. I don't know what it was like in your year overall but for the most more than 3/4 of people taking chemistry got a U and over 1/2 got U's in biology. Chemistry has the highest fail rate for any as-subject, i heard it was like 60% of people who took it nationwide last year flunked it and got U's. true fact.

2) you need chemistry for med school. There is rarely any way around this, the only exeption I know is a friend who got D in a level chem, but then he was doing 4 a levels and got an A in math which made up for it. A lot of med schools will say they want chemistry and another science, some don't even need biology, but they'd obviously pick someone who did over someone who didn't. Some wil only require chemistry at as level, but even then that needs to be an A. Check the requirements, Call them up and ask.

3) I would say definetely don't continue all 4 next year. I did film studies and got a stupidly high UMS for that but I didn't continue it. I know it sounds like a good idea to keep on those subjects you get A's in easily cos let's face it once you do chemistry and it just seems so much easier, but it will take up valuable hermit time for when you need to revise for the bio and chem a levels.I ASSURE you, that you will struggle with a level, it's about twice as hard and the modules will have a ****load more maths in them, you're doing nuffield which I believe is even harder than just "edexcel chemistry". I'd say keep socioogy or psychology, whichever one you think you're gonna get an A in, with less effort.

4) You need to beg your teachers to predict you AAB at least. If you're hard working and on good terms with your teachers that shouldn't be a problem. If you are just cry a lot, also when you're grovelling don't think about dignity, it only gets in the way of the crying.

5) GET EXAM WIZARD. It's a program that you can order for a lot of money or just "borrow" from your school. The more pratice questions you do on these, the better prepared you will be. I went from a D in unit 2 biology to 90/100 in the resit because I just studied these questions, there're pretty much all the same each year just ever so slightly varied.

6) Finally if at the end, you don't get the grades you need, then consider doing a course like biochemistry or biology at university. For one you'll easily get a place. It's a known fact that theses courses accept many "med school rejects" with open arms, you won't be stuck for a place for a good uni. At the end of it you can always do a postgraduate medicine course which is only 4 years and this helps you to get a job as a doctor much more easily because well you have 2 degrees and your scientific knowledge is sound. ( this is pretty much what's I'm doing right now)

I really hope some of this helps, I just sympathatise because i know exactly what it's like to be in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    If you got a D at the end of the year how on earth will you cope with medicine

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice, its answered most of my questions. I think i just need to check with my school about some things, and sucking up and crying is something i def intend on doing, lol. Also a couple of things, a) i'm a girl, lol b) i will definately decline biology and chemistry, i just need to see how to do that through school c) i think that you're right, i shouldn't do sociology. But my only thing is that last year i could write socio essays in 15 minutes and get 20 out of 20, and because my psychology test was the day before sociology, i revised one night for it, and got an A. That was the main reason i thought it might be really easy to do. d) Exam Wizard? Never heard of it. My schools pretty ****, i don't think they'd have it.I could just buy it, my siblings could probs use it too.

And lastly..
    I'm sorry, but just because i wrote a couple hundred words about what i got in my AS's doesn't mean you know exactly why i got a D. Maybe this year was hard, in more ways that just oh, the jump from GCSE to A-Level was big. Maybe i don't go to a posh private school like a quater or maybe more people that go into medicine, maybe my school can't even afford computers or a common room for sixth formers to use. Maybe i have a job to get money because my family is so big. And on top of all that, i have never even thought of doing anything else except being a doctor, because that's all i've ever wanted to do.
    And i'm not saying other people don't have this either, because there is a lot of people worse off than me, but i just think that maybe you should think about why i'm putting myself through all this added stress of taking retakes in january when i have a million other things going on just because i think oh, it would be well cool to be a doctor because they get paid loads, like plenty of other people out there who can do that because they go to some fancy private school where there weren't 35 teenage preganancies in year 11. That's all i'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I got an A in the coursework for biology. Is there no way i can just do the exam without doing the coursework again? My two best friends also want to retake just that one, but they did fine in the coursework too. But i have to redo that one, even though 112/120 aren't good odds. And if i did that one and another, then an A in another would still only be an overall B, along with the B in chem which i can't get an A short of redoing all 3, not enough to get me into most med schools. Man Alive, i'm still confused about which ones to retake. Any help?

Getting my teachers to predict high shouldn't be hard, the biology teachers have always predicted me A's and they love me anyway, lol and my chemistry teachers left, so i can just make the new one love me too, lol. The old one didn't, well she just predicted low.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can re-submit coursework in most cases and just carry the marks forward with the re-sit exam.

With regards to your original questions:

1) You can re-sit as many modules as you like, as many times as you like (i think its changed to that recently, anyway. Though do bare in mind for Med you have to get the AAB/AAA in the 2 years.)

2/3) I would definitely resit the modules in Bio & Chem that you didnt get a high B in, because when it comes to your A2 exams (which are considerably harder), you can afford to lose marks if you get decent AS scores in Jan exams.

4) Judging by the work load you'll have, no! I suggest dropping Socio, though I don't think it truly matters - its just Psychology is more highly respected as subjects go, especially by those universities that are fussy.

5) Nope. Though you can take it for sure that people did get 300/300.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conversation_intercom)
    basicially you're in the same boat as I was in last year. I also got a C in bio and a D in chem and was applying for med school. It depends on the following:

1) How arsed you are to spend the next year in complete solitude, because to get A's in bio and chem is pretty much some sort of godly feat. It doens't matter that in the past you were good at science, the jump from gcse to as-level is something most people aren't prepared for. I don't know what it was like in your year overall but for the most more than 3/4 of people taking chemistry got a U and over 1/2 got U's in biology. Chemistry has the highest fail rate for any as-subject, i heard it was like 60% of people who took it nationwide last year flunked it and got U's. true fact.

2) you need chemistry for med school. There is rarely any way around this, the only exeption I know is a friend who got D in a level chem, but then he was doing 4 a levels and got an A in math which made up for it. A lot of med schools will say they want chemistry and another science, some don't even need biology, but they'd obviously pick someone who did over someone who didn't. Some wil only require chemistry at as level, but even then that needs to be an A. Check the requirements, Call them up and ask.

3) I would say definetely don't continue all 4 next year. I did film studies and got a stupidly high UMS for that but I didn't continue it. I know it sounds like a good idea to keep on those subjects you get A's in easily cos let's face it once you do chemistry and it just seems so much easier, but it will take up valuable hermit time for when you need to revise for the bio and chem a levels.I ASSURE you, that you will struggle with a level, it's about twice as hard and the modules will have a ****load more maths in them, you're doing nuffield which I believe is even harder than just "edexcel chemistry". I'd say keep socioogy or psychology, whichever one you think you're gonna get an A in, with less effort.

4) You need to beg your teachers to predict you AAB at least. If you're hard working and on good terms with your teachers that shouldn't be a problem. If you are just cry a lot, also when you're grovelling don't think about dignity, it only gets in the way of the crying.

5) GET EXAM WIZARD. It's a program that you can order for a lot of money or just "borrow" from your school. The more pratice questions you do on these, the better prepared you will be. I went from a D in unit 2 biology to 90/100 in the resit because I just studied these questions, there're pretty much all the same each year just ever so slightly varied.

6) Finally if at the end, you don't get the grades you need, then consider doing a course like biochemistry or biology at university. For one you'll easily get a place. It's a known fact that theses courses accept many "med school rejects" with open arms, you won't be stuck for a place for a good uni. At the end of it you can always do a postgraduate medicine course which is only 4 years and this helps you to get a job as a doctor much more easily because well you have 2 degrees and your scientific knowledge is sound. ( this is pretty much what's I'm doing right now)

I really hope some of this helps, I just sympathatise because i know exactly what it's like to be in this situation.

Thanks for that...I know i didn't ask for the advice but I will be retaking the whole of AS Chemistry along with A2 next year. Twas helpful.

I'm not applying for med. either but need AAB predictions.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What both B's? It just seems like added stress. I think i'll retake Unit 1 and 3. If i get A's in them, i'll get an overall A. And if i get A's in them but don't get an overall A because the marks aren't high enough then i'll redo another in June.
    i just was wondering if you can because of coursework and stuff. Thanks to the person who said about resubmit in bio, i'll do that. Can you redo nuffield AS coursework?

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.