Turn on thread page Beta

When you get disturbed during concentration watch

ReputationRep:
    So I am in my room, focusing deeply on a particular subject.

Wonder by wonder, some rude family member yells something through the door, addressing me. Excuse me, do you not see the 'do not disturb' sign? Don't you realize the importance of the material I have to study? No, you don't, because you don't understand the incredible difficulty of studying for higher education.

Doesn't that annoy you? You are focusing hard on something and then in that happy moment when you are near the point of truly understanding something, blam, someone cuts you off in your concentration!

I had to go make myself an organic herbal calming tea just to calm down because I'm tense and stressed out thanks to these disturbers.

Ergh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 571122)

Wonder by wonder, some rude family member yells something through the door, addressing me. Excuse me, do you not see the 'do not disturb' sign? Don't you realize the importance of the material I have to study? No, you don't, because you don't understand the incredible difficulty of studying for higher education.

Doesn't that annoy you? You are focusing hard on something and then in that happy moment when you are near the point of truly understanding something, blam, someone cuts you off in your concentration!

I had to go make myself an organic herbal calming tea just to calm down because I'm tense and stressed out thanks to these disturbers.

Ergh...
    So true fam, when i'm doin dat philosophy and i'm just on the edge of understanding some weird bs some philosoper put forward and then someone interrupts me and i'm just tryna think and they can see me and i'm like go away and they keep calling me and i'm like fk off ffs can't you see i'mconcentrating

ReputationRep:

Ergh...
    I put on some music so that the "disturbers"(also known as annoying family members (and cats in mycase)) can't distract me. Try it.

ReputationRep:
    It is annoying, yes but it's something you have to get used to. It happens at work all the time, and whereas with your family you can scream at them to get out you can't really do that with a work colleague or, worse, your boss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvine001)
    I put on some music so that the "disturbers"(also known as annoying family members (and cats in mycase)) can't distract me. Try it.
    Sadly, being a male I can't really focus on two things at the same time. I can't even have the smallest peep interrupting my thoughts, not even music.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, being a male I can't really focus on two things at the same time. I can't even have the smallest peep interrupting my thoughts, not even music.
    I am a male and I manage it absolutely fine

ReputationRep:

Ergh...
    I can really relate to this. My solution is to get the machine gun out of my cupboard and go and mow them all down and then burn the bodies in the street outside as a warning to others. I only do that in my head though.

The irony is that I'm the worst at disturbing others who are trying to concentrate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    It is annoying, yes but it's something you have to get used to. It happens at work all the time, and whereas with your family you can scream at them to get out you can't really do that with a work colleague or, worse, your boss!
    At my previous software development job, we would have an atmosphere where everyone understands developers and other important people have to be left alone or not disrupted unless absolutely necessary.

For example, when applying the Scrum methodology, we would have a daily standup where the Business Analyst would quickly go over requirements and we would just work on them each day without getting disturbed. The boss would be on the road with the Business Analyst every day to gather customers.
    When the Business Analyst would return, we wouldn't be allowed to just go "hey, I need to check something with you" because that would be considered incredibly rude and inconsiderate, especially since each developer and member of the company has its own agenda. Just because a guy would come in, it wouldn't mean that he would have the free time to just randomly talk to you.
    Agreement moments (i.e. meetings) would be daily scheduled and mailed through. This is how we would meet and briefly allocate 15 minutes to go over business. Then, we would go back to work.
    The idea of having radio in the office was also discarded because everyone has different music taste and some people (like me) can't concentrate or work efficiently at all with music. Thus, the office would be a nice quiet room where people could develop.

In the software development world, disturbing other people is considered bad etiquette.

ReputationRep:
    At my previous software development job, we would have an atmosphere where everyone understands developers and other important people have to be left alone or not disrupted unless absolutely necessary.

For example, when applying the Scrum methodology, we would have a daily standup where the Business Analyst would quickly go over requirements and we would just work on them each day without getting disturbed. The boss would be on the road with the Business Analyst every day to gather customers.
    When the Business Analyst would return, we wouldn't be allowed to just go "hey, I need to check something with you" because that would be considered incredibly rude and inconsiderate, especially since each developer and member of the company has its own agenda. Just because a guy would come in, it wouldn't mean that he would have the free time to just randomly talk to you.
    Agreement moments (i.e. meetings) would be daily scheduled and mailed through. This is how we would meet and briefly allocate 15 minutes to go over business. Then, we would go back to work.
    The idea of having radio in the office was also discarded because everyone has different music taste and some people (like me) can't concentrate or work efficiently at all with music. Thus, the office would be a nice quiet room where people could develop.

In the software development world, disturbing other people is considered bad etiquette.
    That's an interesting read - thank you. I'd not heard of the 'Scrum' methodology before so I must investigate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    That's an interesting read - thank you. I'd not heard of the 'Scrum' methodology before so I must investigate it.
    You're welcome. It's one of the less formal (depends on the company) software development methodologies. There is also Kanban and many others.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah.

*Me studying*

Noise from downstairs: "Ollllllllliiiiiiiiiivvvvvvaaaa! !!!!"

Me: "What?"

*silence*

15 minutes later

Noise from downstairs: "Olllllliiiiiivvvvviiiiaaaa"

Me: *Rolls eyes at being interrupted yet again* "What?"

"Teeeeaaaaa"

And, of course I go down, and tea is not ready, not even close.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Are you okay? Tbh the recent threads you've posted are worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Are you okay? Tbh the recent threads you've posted are worrying.

I'm fine. I'm just stressed out with life's pressures at the moment and I'm working on it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fine. I'm just stressed out with life's pressures at the moment and I'm working on it.
    Ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Yeah.

*Me studying*

Noise from downstairs: "Ollllllllliiiiiiiiiivvvvvvaaaa! !!!!"

Me: "What?"

*silence*

15 minutes later

Noise from downstairs: "Olllllliiiiiivvvvviiiiaaaa"

Me: *Rolls eyes at being interrupted yet again* "What?"

"Teeeeaaaaa"

And, of course I go down, and tea is not ready, not even close.
    I know what you mean.
    That's happened to me before.
    My dad says tea's ready about 0.5 hours- 1.5 hours before it's ready
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I know what you mean.
    That's happened to me before.
    My dad says tea's ready about 0.5 hours- 1.5 hours before it's ready
    Yep, so annoying haha.
    They also tell me to stay downstairs after they've called me down, meh parents. :rofl:

IT's very annoying.

ReputationRep:
    i like it when someone disturbs me a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Yep, so annoying haha.
    They also tell me to stay downstairs after they've called me down, meh parents. :rofl:
    Parents:
    who needs 'em
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Parents:
    who needs 'em
    :rofl: :rofl:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.