The Student Room Group

Royal Marines Officer

Hello,
I am currently considering joining the royal marines, and am thinking about applying to try and become an officer. At the moment I am in my final year of A-levels, so I am in the process of looking at my options after sixth form, I do not particularly want to go to university. As I have said previously I would like to apply to the royal marines as an officer, but do not think that I will be ready by the end of this academic year, mainly because my fitness is no where near up to the standard that the royal marines would expect. Would it be best if I apply at the end of this academic year, when my fitness has improved? Or would if be best if I go to university first and gradually build up my fitness over the three years?
In this day and age having a degree in anything is better than having no degree at all. So in my mind, pick something you think you'd *enjoy* reading at university and do that. By all means have a good time, but also smash your fitness. RM Officers need to be able to do everything their men can do and then some on top of that. Just imagine needing to inspire/ earn respect from a Royal Marine, who is a hard as nails guy, and use that motivation to get yourself stacked/ fast/ endurance fit over three years.
Reply 2
Original post by anon144
Hello,
I am currently considering joining the royal marines, and am thinking about applying to try and become an officer. At the moment I am in my final year of A-levels, so I am in the process of looking at my options after sixth form, I do not particularly want to go to university. As I have said previously I would like to apply to the royal marines as an officer, but do not think that I will be ready by the end of this academic year, mainly because my fitness is no where near up to the standard that the royal marines would expect. Would it be best if I apply at the end of this academic year, when my fitness has improved? Or would if be best if I go to university first and gradually build up my fitness over the three years?

Fitness is one thing - and certainly a key thing for the RM - but to be a leader of men you need more than fitness. What's harder to get is the life experience that will make you a better leader.

For that, you're 10x better off by going to university, leading clubs and societies, joining the OTC (probably better for you than the URNU) and developing those leadership skills.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
Fitness is one thing - and certainly a key thing for the RM - but to be a leader of men you need more than fitness. What's harder to get is the life experience that will make you a better leader.

For that, you're 10x better off by going to university, leading clubs and societies, joining the OTC (probably better for you than the URNU) and developing those leadership skills.

I was thinking about the OTC. But then I still have the problem of not having any subject that I am really motivated to do for three years. If it helps I was in the ATC for several years, but I have previously read that it will not help what so ever. Would I stand more of a chance of becoming an officer in the royal marines if I went to university?
Reply 4
Original post by anon144
I was thinking about the OTC. But then I still have the problem of not having any subject that I am really motivated to do for three years. If it helps I was in the ATC for several years, but I have previously read that it will not help what so ever. Would I stand more of a chance of becoming an officer in the royal marines if I went to university?

It's a tricky one. You'll certainly be better off both in the RM and in life generally (what if you don't make it through training, what if you get injured, what it you get in then decide that is not for you so want to leave early?) if you have a degree, though it needs to be something you at least half want to study.
I’m currently in the same dilemma. As this thread started 3 years ago, how did this go and what route did you go down in the end?
Reply 6
Original post by SalaciousBCrumb
I’m currently in the same dilemma. As this thread started 3 years ago, how did this go and what route did you go down in the end?

Took the university route pal. In my final year now.
Okay ty for the reply so are you still interested in joining or other things at uni dissuaded u or encouraged like the otc?
Reply 8
Original post by SalaciousBCrumb
Okay ty for the reply so are you still interested in joining or other thingYs at uni dissuaded u or encouraged like the otc?

Yes I am still interested in joining, however I did not join the UOTC, I did the whole process but decided not to go further at the time. I do regret my decision not to join the UOTC so I would recommend it. I am going to focus on finishing uni and then will be starting my application.
Original post by anon144
Took the university route pal. In my final year now.

Do you think you made the right decision? Have you thought about the Marines since
Reply 10
Original post by AidanWalters2
Do you think you made the right decision? Have you thought about the Marines since

Personally yes, but it is down to you to decide. I have definately matured a lot more since going to university. Also, I will have a degree to fall back onto if I am unable to join the military.
Reply 11
Did you join in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest