Was Maradona that good?

Watch
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
When considering which footballer is a better one than the other, I consider their sportsmanship and professionalism as well as their gifted talents and honours won. Which means Maradonna pales in comparison to Pele.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
When considering which footballer is a better one than the other, I consider their sportsmanship and professionalism as well as their gifted talents and honours won. Which means Maradonna pales in comparison to Pele.
I consider a lot of things- and the time they played is one of them - therefore I don't rate Peles achievements as I would a modern day player - i spose it all comes back to that argument we had on another thread about a mdoern day pele

pele was the best of his time and maradonna the best of his but they were fairly different times!
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, it's difficult comparing players which stretch over a century, if you consider going that far. Puskas, Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, Batistuta etc. Best to do it within each decade I guess.
Messi77
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You right
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At his time, he was. The fact that he did not win a Champions League trophy stands to reason if you consider that the UCL as we know nowadays just exist since 1993. Before 1993 the league winners and title defender only were permitted to play in this competition, it was the way harder to qualify and to win.

But the fact that he was able to lead a team with his skills at the peak literally alone to a victory, as he did in 1986 with Argentina, is the evidence that he was the best in his decade.
Allen0101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Tomharper)
I am pretty bored this summer, so I decided to read up about the greatest footie players ever using a combination of sites and youtube. Not surprisingly the 2 names that pop up the most was Pele and Maradona. I'm not surpsied about the former as he scored 600+ competitive goals and won 3 world cups. However, Maradona???????? All I can find is he scored 2 famous goals against England (cheat), won one world cup and was banned twice for taking drugs...... Yet he is seen by many as the greatest footballer...

I mean I looked at his records and he hasn't scored that many goals in contrast with his appearances and he hasn't even won a champions league title. I have seen some footage of him and he looks quite good on youtube but he doesn't look as skillful as Ronaldinho yet i thought he is the most skillfull player with a left foot????
Marketing my friend. Pele was amazing and not only as a football player .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (191)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (287)
50.17%
I still don't know (94)
16.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed