Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if you have propanone, in answer to a question would you say propanone or propan-2-one, despite it being the only positional isomer
    (that's still a ketone).
    even though i feel the 2 is unnecessary i feel like examiners would like it anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toasticide)
    if you have propanone, in answer to a question would you say propanone or propan-2-one, despite it being the only positional isomer
    (that's still a ketone).
    even though i feel the 2 is unnecessary i feel like examiners would like it anyway
    Don't we all love chemistry?

No you don't put a 2 in because there's no other place the =O can go, it must be stuck on a carbon which has 2 carbons on either side of it. The only place for this is in the middle, if the =O went on either end of the molecule it'd be an aldehyde right?

ReputationRep:
    oh i know itd be an aldehyde if it was at the end, it's just sometimes mark schemes can be overly specific and i didnt know if you'd have to say carbon 2 since for all the examiners know, you may not even know what the prop- prefix means!
    I hope you get what you mean but thanks for the answer

ReputationRep:
    oh i know itd be an aldehyde if it was at the end, it's just sometimes mark schemes can be overly specific and i didnt know if you'd have to say carbon 2 since for all the examiners know, you may not even know what the prop- prefix means!
    I hope you get what you mean but thanks for the answer
    Remember the IUPAC naming system?

Remember we don't say ethan-1-ol? because no matter how you arrange it it'll always have an OH at the end of the chain

random fact i found out you can't write propan-1-ol as 1-hydroxy propane because the group is supposed to be in the name of the main molecule, other stuff like esters and carboxyilic acids take precedence over the alcohol group and that's when you can put hydroxy as a prefix

ReputationRep:
    (that's still a ketone).
    As long as you get them right, adding unnecessary numbers will never be marked down. Whereas leaving out important numbers, e.g. pentanone will lose marks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.