Turn on thread page Beta

Need uni advice- Muslims only watch

I would like a response from Muslims only, preferably practising ones.
    Islam haters remove yourself please before a mod has to, thanks.

So I have a group project coming up. There's a couple of girls involved and one guy (non Muslim). For obvious reasons I don't like working with guys and if it was my choice I would work with girls only. Unfortunately that's not possible now.

He has emailed now saying to meet up and discuss ideas for our presentation.
    I think this is pretty much unavoidable. I know my limits, but I want to know what other things should I avoid?
    Also if the topic of WhatsApp comes up and forming a group chat, what's the ruling on this?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

JZK

ReputationRep:
    absolutely haram

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I would like a response from Muslims only, preferably practising ones.
    Islam haters remove yourself please before a mod has to, thanks.

So I have a group project coming up. There's a couple of girls involved and one guy (non Muslim). For obvious reasons I don't like working with guys and if it was my choice I would work with girls only. Unfortunately that's not possible now.
    He has emailed now saying to meet up and discuss ideas for our presentation.
    I think this is pretty much unavoidable. I know my limits, but I want to know what other things should I avoid?
    Also if the topic of WhatsApp comes up and forming a group chat, what's the ruling on this?
    Is there anything else I should be aware of?
    JZK
    Well, I was paired up with a classmate (guy) at uni. We had to make a presentation. And, he asked me to meet up before class in the library. I don't think it is haram as that person or you don't have any other agenda but to do just your project. Don't think too much of these things.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? What's wrong with working with a guy on a project? And forming a group chat on Whatsapp? Nothing prevents you from doing that in Islam.. if these 'normal' things (even with Muslim standards, I've lived in Pakistan) are too much for you how are you going to survive???

ReputationRep:
    This is a known matter and you have to get on with the work as a group. You have other girls present so there isn't a problem.

Regarding the Whatsapp group you can make an excuse. I don't like giving my number out so I tell them straight, they do not mind. You could always get information from the other girls.

If you want to be part of the group then all I'd advise is to keep it halal and you know that already. If there is chit chat, don't take part and ignore.

This might help.

“إن السلف لم يطلقوا الحرام إلا على ما علم تحريمه قطعا”

“The salaf (righteous predecessors of the Muslim Ummah) avoided calling anything haram except on known matters that were clearly and explicitly mentioned.”

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly why I said preferably practising Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    Literally cba for you.

ReputationRep:
    If they talk about making a group then ask for it to be made on another app where you don't give your number out. Keep your input to the conversation professional and then leave the chat after the project is done.

I think your situation is unavoidable so the only advice really is to keep things proffessional and only talk about work related things. May Allah make things easy for you.

Salam sister,
    Maybe drop out of uni and enroll in a all female uni/course?
    Or an online course? Theyre cheaper, and are not a mixed environment.
    That way you can avoid fitnah
    If you dont want to, then I guess you have to accept how things are in a non-Muslim country: university are mixed, and that's how they are unfortunately.
    You cant force segregation in universities- it's against he law unfortunately- just gotta do what you gotta do
    Regards with ruling- some schools of thought allow mixing and talking in group chats if it's strictly for education - also as long as youre not by yourself with a male, always in a group - then its fine really

Do what you feel is comfortable in your heart- ask Allah for guidance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leukocyte)
    This is a known matter and you have to get on with the work as a group. You have other girls present so there isn't a problem.

Regarding the Whatsapp group you can make an excuse. I don't like giving my number out so I tell them straight, they do not mind. You could always get information from the other girls.

If you want to be part of the group then all I'd advise is to keep it halal and you know that already. If there is chit chat, don't take part and ignore.

This might help.

“The salaf (righteous predecessors of the Muslim Ummah) avoided calling anything haram except on known matters that were clearly and explicitly mentioned.”

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    If they talk about making a group then ask for it to be made on another app where you don't give your number out. Keep your input to the conversation professional and then leave the chat after the project is done.

I think your situation is unavoidable so the only advice really is to keep things proffessional and only talk about work related things. May Allah make things easy for you.
    This. Sis don't give your number to guys. Insha'Allah you will be fine, there are other girls in the group Alhamdulillah.

ReputationRep:
    may god help you on surviving in this cold world. lol. sorry.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have a choice. As it seems like a group project there will be more than 1 person, so ensure another at least is present whilst with the guy.
    Keep talking etc to the minimum and keep your work as the main topic.
    If forming a whatsapp group is deemed necessary and the easiest way of contact for all then only go ahead. If there are other just as easy ways around it then do them instead.
    If a whatsapp group is formed simply name it strictly work only or something.. Don't go off on a bend. Stick to work talk.
    Though so your est to not give your number especially if you don't feel comfortable to do this.
    Also, it would be best to inform parents and /or elder siblings of this arrangement so that this will ensure you stick to your boundaries etc. And it will be easier for them to know of it than to find out elsehow and make the wrong presumptions.

ReputationRep:
    Just meet up with him you don't have to **** the guy, sheesh this is the problem with muslim girls, im a muslim guy and I practice we had an interview for placements last week it was pretty damn important considering if you don't get onto the placement you can't qualify as an audiologist. There where 10 applicants of which 7 where conservative muslim girls who kept themselves to themselves never talked to anyone on the course

Guess what... none of those girls got a place because they don't talk to other people, how can they talk to the public in the hospital if they can't even talk to one of there colleagues and the heads of audiology saw this in them. Why do muslims restrict there contact with the opposite sex because they think every conversation they have has some sort of sexual foundation to it. Just chill and be a human and interact with other people

(Original post by Leukocyte)

This might help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by h333)
    This. Sis don't give your number to guys. Insha'Allah you will be fine, there are other girls in the group Alhamdulillah.
    Ameen.

JZK for all your advice. I'll keep it in mind.
    May Allah reward you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miser101)
    Just meet up with him you don't have to **** the guy, sheesh this is the problem with muslim girls, im a muslim guy and I practice we had an interview for placements last week it was pretty damn important considering if you don't get onto the placement you can't qualify as an audiologist. There where 10 applicants of which 7 where conservative muslim girls who kept themselves to themselves never talked to anyone on the course

Guess what... none of those girls got a place because they don't talk to other people, how can they talk to the public in the hospital if they can't even talk to one of there colleagues and the heads of audiology saw this in them. Why do muslims restrict there contact with the opposite sex because they think every conversation they have has some sort of sexual foundation to it. Just chill and be a human and interact with other people
    I've seen plenty of Muslims who keep professional with the opposite gender and they do just fine in hospitals.

It doesn't matter if you're Muslim. Many Muslims promote haram stuff without a care in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Ameen.

JZK for all your advice. I'll keep it in mind.
    May Allah reward you.
    BarakAllahu Feeki.
    Ameen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is part of why religion is a problem in the modern world.

It's stops you from doing the simplest of things such as working with people of the same sex.

Oh noes what are they gonna do? **** you up the bum?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen plenty of Muslims who keep professional with the opposite gender and they do just fine in hospitals.

It doesn't matter if you're Muslim. Many Muslims promote haram stuff without a care in the world.
    But surely if she just keeps keeps a professional relationship with him and nothing beyond that then it should be fine. There was a time when muslims actually where the best scholars in the world making breakthroughs in chemistry and mathematics whats happened now, we've got girls who are scared that they will spontaneously combust if a non muslim speaks to them

ReputationRep:
    am i being trolled rn loool

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly why I said preferably practising Muslims.
    meet in a group with all the girls present?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.