Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I am doing an extra year of sixth form in order to complete my final A-Level in Sociology. I've been keeping busy with reading, uni application, the subject, some volunteering, and even a small job setting up exam tables. But the thing is, I am both enjoying all this alone time, and feeling quite lonely too.

I have one friend also doing another year, but I barely see him as he's never in. I miss my girls. One is at uni, one has moved to her mums in Wales, and the other is at another school. All are dating people, and it turns out we all cannot get together at Xmas due to other commitments. I am not bitter about this or anything, I understand that as adults now life is getting busier. My final bestie is at a special needs school, and has a lot on her plate day to day, meaning we can only really see each other monthly, but I am grateful for that time spent together.

I have tried out Tinder, but personally wasn't keen. I can't really reach out to my parents, as my mum is coping with a benign brain tumour. The position of the tumour is near the pituitary gland, meaning she has symptoms of schizophrenia, and is on a lot of medication. She has to cope with day to day life, and so I have to be quite independent anyway. Dad cares for her full time, and is very easily stressed and tempered, so conversations with him are quite general. Basically, I can't really reach out to them about this kind of stuff.

I don't know what I am asking for really. I guess I am wondering if anyone has any advice when it feels like everyone is moving forward but you? It's just very frustrating having so few people to utter words to each day! I don't want to cave in on myself, and being alone has become quite habitual. I'm oddly enjoying it, but am lonely at the same time?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by HannahBanana2)
    Hi guys,

So I am doing an extra year of sixth form in order to complete my final A-Level in Sociology. I've been keeping busy with reading, uni application, the subject, some volunteering, and even a small job setting up exam tables. But the thing is, I am both enjoying all this alone time, and feeling quite lonely too.

I have one friend also doing another year, but I barely see him as he's never in. I miss my girls. One is at uni, one has moved to her mums in Wales, and the other is at another school. All are dating people, and it turns out we all cannot get together at Xmas due to other commitments. I am not bitter about this or anything, I understand that as adults now life is getting busier. My final bestie is at a special needs school, and has a lot on her plate day to day, meaning we can only really see each other monthly, but I am grateful for that time spent together.

I have tried out Tinder, but personally wasn't keen. I can't really reach out to my parents, as my mum is coping with a benign brain tumour. The position of the tumour is near the pituitary gland, meaning she has symptoms of schizophrenia, and is on a lot of medication. She has to cope with day to day life, and so I have to be quite independent anyway. Dad cares for her full time, and is very easily stressed and tempered, so conversations with him are quite general. Basically, I can't really reach out to them about this kind of stuff.

I don't know what I am asking for really. I guess I am wondering if anyone has any advice when it feels like everyone is moving forward but you? It's just very frustrating having so few people to utter words to each day! I don't want to cave in on myself, and being alone has become quite habitual. I'm oddly enjoying it, but am lonely at the same time?
    do you get along with any people at volunteering,maybe you can arrange things with them? With technology these days it's much easier to keep in touch, can you arrange to speak to your friends via skype at a set agreed time maybe? (I see some of my closest friends only 2/3 times a year but i speak to them very regularly on social media).
    It must be very difficult with your mum ill and your dad her carer, but they're still your parents, i know you probably dont want to increase their burden per say but speak to them or maybe another relative you get along with.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.