Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to dentistry this year. However, I'm thinking of having dental hygiene and therapy as a backup option. Although salary doesn't really bother me too much, does anyone know, roughly what kind of salary someone would get if they did this degree? I'm just curious because on the website it says the starting salary will be £30, 000 and it will increase after a couple of years. However, the average pay for a dental hygienist and therapist is lower than this? Can anyone clarify?

ReputationRep:
    Salary depends on where the individual works. Roughly around £20-£30 per hour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SashaF)
    Salary depends on where the individual works. Roughly around £20-£30 per hour
    Thankyou for the reply

After doing some research, I found out you could become a hygienist/ therapist after doing a nursing qualification. Would the pay be the same or is it higher for graduates who have completed the degree after having done A levels?

ReputationRep:
    It really wouldnt differ tbh. Though from my work experience I can say that what a DHT does is very limited. Its mainly cleaning teeth and fillings!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisagordon)
    I've applied to dentistry this year. However, I'm thinking of having dental hygiene and therapy as a backup option. Although salary doesn't really bother me too much, does anyone know, roughly what kind of salary someone would get if they did this degree? I'm just curious because on the website it says the starting salary will be £30, 000 and it will increase after a couple of years. However, the average pay for a dental hygienist and therapist is lower than this? Can anyone clarify?
    If you a worried about salary Focus purely on dentistry. Dentistry is SOOOOOO well paid, you could earn 200k plus a year even much more. If you don't get in take a gap year a reapply. Going abroad is also an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    If you a worried about salary Focus purely on dentistry. Dentistry is SOOOOOO well paid, you could earn 200k plus a year even much more. If you don't get in take a gap year a reapply. Going abroad is also an option.
    Be aware this salary wont come overnight! It takes normally a private practice to get this high. It is a stressful job and it requires you to be mentally prepped. You could always do DHT, see how you like it and do dentistry through grad entry which is 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    It's not that easy haha, I don't think going abroad is an option for me and although I really want to do dentistry, it doesn't mean I am guaranteed to get a place even if I take a gap year. As I said before, as long as the job is fairly paid, I'm not too bothered about getting £200k a year, I don't think I would know what to do with all that money lol

ReputationRep:
    It really wouldnt differ tbh. Though from my work experience I can say that what a DHT does is very limited. Its mainly cleaning teeth and fillings!
    Sorry if this sounds stupid but what is a DHT? Have only started looking into the course so I'm not too sure about all the abbreviations that go with it. What kind of area would you think a dental hygienist/ therapist would get the £30 an hour pay and what experience would be required? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisagordon)
    Sorry if this sounds stupid but what is a DHT? Have only started looking into the course so I'm not too sure about all the abbreviations that go with it. What kind of area would you think a dental hygienist/ therapist would get the £30 an hour pay and what experience would be required? Thanks
    DHT is dental hygienist therapist.

And most places if I'm honest, but of course it would be most likely in London.
    It is an intense course, expect mostly 9-5 days.

ReputationRep:
    Be aware this salary wont come overnight! It takes normally a private practice to get this high. It is a stressful job and it requires you to be mentally prepped. You could always do DHT, see how you like it and do dentistry through grad entry which is 4 years.
    Can you tell me anything about the grad entry-I’m looking at it as an option
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that when training, dentists practice on pigs! Can't say I've ever seen a piggy with dentures though.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.