Turn on thread page Beta

Is Brexit and US election making you anxious about the future? watch

• View Poll Results: Is Brexit and US election making you feel anxious about the future?
    Yes
    54.32%
    No
    21.05%
    A little bit....
    24.63%

• TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Anxiety is on the up.

The NSPCC's Childline counselled 11,706 young people for anxiety in 2015-16 - a 35% rise from the 8,642 in 2014-15.

Young people using the line has said that personal and family problems are causing them anxiety as well as worried about Brexit, the US election and Syrian war.

Teens were also reported to feeling under too much pressure to have the perfect life. Based on social media they felt that it photos and status updates were placing increasing pressure on them to have it all.

BBC newstory here

Are you feeling the same pressures?

How do you cope?

I remember when 9/11 happened.... I was 16, I really struggled to sleep, had to go to bed with music on so I couldn't hear planes on their way to and from Gatwick. If there was any mention of Bush on the radio I would feel my heart started to beat. I actually felt really scared about what was going to happen and what it meant for the world.

ReputationRep:
    I supported Brexit so not feeling anything too negative about it.

The US Presidential Election is worrying but it will ultimately go to Clinton so nothing too worrying about that in terms of feelings.

ReputationRep:
    I am quite Apathetic. In term of Brexit I am just thinking YOLO ,because noone knows what will happen anyway, it might not even be that bad (don't kill me remainers).

US I don't care. Im guessing neither Trump or Clinton is stupid enough to do anything crazy with Russia. I am hoping that Hilary withdraws so Sanders can come in or either President win but not have a majority in Congress :cool:.

ReputationRep:
    My 5 year old nephew and his 9 year old sister have been having night terrors since June 24th. Waking up every other night in tears and sweat, every morning they want to discuss the ramifications of leaving the EEA versus remaining instead of breakfast. Very troubling. The oldest ones nightmares are particularly distressing, she has visions of that "Breggsit man" (Farage) with union jack facepaint chasing her around our decrepit dystopic town

Very problematic

ReputationRep:
    If by anxious you mean excited, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    As a holder of British, American, and Italian citizenship, both issues are very personal to me

In terms of which one scares me the most, it's probably the US election, as that will impact the world bigly in the next four years (by then, I'll be able to get an absentee ballot, yay!), plus, with my triple nationality, I will still have freedom of movement in Europe and America, so Brexit doesn't bother me as much.

The thing that really bothers me at the moment is all this deliberate misuse of power by those in control. The way a ruler can bomb his own people (Syria), the way a potential ruler can be such a huge bigot and all the rest (Trump), the way a ruler can be so openly hypocritical and yet call the shots (Theresa May), that scares the **** out of me, as I don't think many people realise that with power comes responsibility, and your duty as the ruler of a country is not to benefit yourself, it's to benefit your people, and most powerful people nowadays don't recognise that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm anxious about the future of humanity given the results of the survey, I mean seriously, anxiety over Brexit and the presidential election?! Our generation seriously is lost.

ReputationRep:
    I am anxious for the future, I was in a lecture the other day and they asked who voted for Brexit and I was the only on who put my hand up. In hindsight it was probably a stupid thing to do, but the concept of Brexit was so alien to these guys that they actually thought I was joking. So yes, I'm worried about what universities are turning people into.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yes, it does.

I remember 9/11 as well. I was only 4, but I remember all of the staff at play-school rushing us all into one room and talking about something - they seemed panicked. My dad came straight over, picked me up early, and we sat down and watched it on the news

ReputationRep:
    No, excited (if for the US election, the result is Trump.)

ReputationRep:
    I'm excited to see what happens when the Eurocrats and Killery finally lose everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    I supported Brexit so not feeling anything too negative about it.

The US Presidential Election is worrying but it will ultimately go to Clinton so nothing too worrying about that in terms of feelings.
    Are you not worried, even if Brexit is successful and Clinton wins, about the general mood that has been created or exacerbated by the referendum and election..?

I'm talking Nationalist sentiments, antipathy towards other races and countries and religions, the rise in hate crimes, societies which are divided with an increasingly smaller middle ground... I am assuming you are a nice person who just happened to believe in Brexit being the best way forward to the country and not a raving racist or anything. Personally this is what worries me most.

I voted Remain and if I were American I would vote for Clinton. But regardless of either outcome, what worries me most is the general mood of many average people in the West... more divided and less tolerant societies

ReputationRep:
    lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't find Brexit concerning at all, it isn't extreme. What I do find concerning is both front-running presidential candidates Trump and Clinton. They are both bad but in such unique ways.

ReputationRep:
    Staying the EU made me anxious and leaving it made me anxious but not as much. I was anxious about trump becoming president and slightly if Hilary did, surprisingly I'm now more anxious if Hilary wins... screwed either way and I doubt any will make it to a second term. I think it'll all work out, 4 years will give a president, if brexit is harsh it'll be fixed/improved within at least a year or 2. So it looks bad but looking further, there is hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    My 5 year old nephew and his 9 year old sister have been having night terrors since June 24th. Waking up every other night in tears and sweat, every morning they want to discuss the ramifications of leaving the EEA versus remaining instead of breakfast. Very troubling. The oldest ones nightmares are particularly distressing, she has visions of that "Breggsit man" (Farage) with union jack facepaint chasing her around our decrepit dystopic town

Very problematic
    :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Brexit triggered me, gave me MH issues, and led to my goldfish committing suicide

ReputationRep:
    If anything makes me anxious it's the thought that the young people of today have so little faith in their life that they would worry about Brexit or the presidential election.

One can disagree with what has occurred but anybody worrying about these things is overreacting.

Generation snowflake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If anything makes me anxious it's the thought that the young people of today have so little faith in their life that they would worry about Brexit or the presidential election.

One can disagree with what has occurred but anybody worrying about these things is overreacting.

Generation snowflake.
    lmfao you guys will **** talk "today's youth" about anything and think it makes you seem world-weary and sage. And if you're on this forum you're probably in that generation you're on about.

Don't care about global political events? Apathetic losers who only care about Pokemon
    Care too much about political events? Too easily offended
    Can't get a job? Get some experience
    Can't get experience? Get a job
    No degree? What's your excuse - everyone can go to uni
    Got a degree? Should have spent that time gaining life skills instead
    Can't afford a house? In my day we never even had iPhones!!!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Depends on which news outlets you read to how 'anxious' you'll be - people forget that propaganda didn't stop after World War II, nor is it restricted to North Korea.

I cope by realising it has ever been this way. It's not personal, it's business. And having a grip on reality.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.