Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ...If so, why/why not?

ReputationRep:
    You would have to be absolutely bonkers not to.

Free Healthcare.

Imagine having to rely on a bloated American system and having to worry about making payments which may be exorbitant.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yes, sure its not perfect but it's free healthcare. I'm very grateful of the amount of money that must have been spent on myself and my family which i probably wont ever pay back in, they bought me time with my dying grandfather and tried and failed to save some relatives when that time and money could have been better spent elsewhere so i will always be grateful for that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am very grateful for the NHS. They have saved both my life and especially my papa's life countless times and I know for a fact we wouldn't be here without them. Its not a perfect system, especially when it comes to mental health services. A lot of problems lie in that department both from lack of funding which leads to lack of services and long waiting lists for the limited services they do offer. I'm grateful we have a free service in The UK.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Of course I like the NHS. They help us all and we'd be mad not to be grateful for it.

ReputationRep:
    I really like NHS, so far I've had no problems with them

Nothing's perfect, it's free childcare. Like someone else has already mentioned, it's better than the system American has.

I'm very grateful for the NHS. It's put under a lot of pressure at the moment and i think people should stop taking it for granted really. We are very lucky to have free healthcare

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in any doctors' opinions on this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There are major downsides and things that could be done better. For example, there is so much opportunity for large coordinated research that are just bypassed due to a lack of data management. In fact our IT services are way behind virtually anywhere else in the western world. And patients suffer because of it.

But would widespread privatisation make it better? Good god no. The perverse incentives introduced when you have privately paid doctors destroys the efficiency of healthcare and could cost the country hundreds of billions every year. Not an exaggeration.

It is already substantially privatised, with Virgin Care running services the NHS used to at a substantial loss, and I'm not sure the NHS will exist in anything other than name in ten years time. Its facing the biggest crisis its ever faced by a long way, and yet those in charge are hellbent on expensive reorganisations and undermining with its workforce. That kind of incompetence makes the future hard to see.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 1lastchance)
    ...If so, why/why not?
    I love the concept of the NHS and the good it does for the people who need it the most, but I have to admit what I do not love about the NHS is overworking staff, underfunded departments and services... but I think rather than not liking the NHS thats more about not liking how the government is completely failing our health service.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not their biggest fan.
    They didn't do anything to help my Grandad. They just let him die
    I'm still waiting for a phonecall (4 months now) about seeing someone. They're supposed to call me about what my problems are and they said within 2 weeks you will have heard! Yeah right! :/

And they discharged me way way too early before! My therapist was rubbish! Total rubbish and they didn't have anyone else available. So I was stuck.
    In the end they discharged me knowing full well I wasn't anywhere near ready to be let go from the service
    Grr!

ReputationRep:
    It's a system that helps you when in need. Specifically one such as that would be better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it in terms of costs.
    I feel that the NHS is waaaaaaay better than the American system as that racks up thousands in debt whereas here you pay it over time whether you need it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Come on guys use your brains it's lack of money due to increasing privatisation which is causing these problems not to mension the state of the economy (also a global issue). It's not the fault of the NHS/the people that work within the NHS.

The NHS is an amazing institution it's just a shame we're watching it fall to **** before our very eyes when it doesn't need to. Big corps need to be taxed more as well as the wealthy. And bonuses and pay rises at the top need to stop.

Privatisation is not the answer for us, for the patient. All it does is commoditises our health making it a product, worthy or unworthy of financial input. Health and Social care should not be a money making machine and when it is we all suffer the consequences except the fithy rich *******s who capitalise on it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Grateful yes even if it has its flaws like 12 hour waiting time in the end my mum received the treatment for her thyroid, I got the blood transfusion I needed and hopefully will have a surgery for my eyes soon. If it was perfect then it would be a thing world wide but it's not and even then I can't imagine living in a country without it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No. Pay for your own services.

ReputationRep:
    I love the NHS

To me the idea that how much you earn should dictate your access to certain treatment or even whether you live or die is inhumane. People should be able to access healthcare without having to worry that they either won't be able to afford it or that going to the doctor is going to bankrupt them.

That said the system that we have isn't perfect. It is under funded and is really feeling the strain at the moment. That is partially the pressure that our growing elderly population puts on it but also that people are increasingly demanding. I think that as a population we do need to think about what we want from our NHS. If we want it to continue to be all that it is at the moment and more then we have to commit to funding it appropriately.

ReputationRep:
    Free healthcare can't be bad

ReputationRep:
    the NHS is a national treasure. however i fear that it may go the way of the Rhinoceros in the next decade.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't "free," only free at the point of use (with certain exceptions: Prescriptions, Dentistry and Opticians for example). However the NHS is a wonderful institution. It's not perfect in any way: the management tends to be very poor, it is way behind in terms of IT (as has been mentioned before) and it's a constant balancing act between value for money and comprehensive care. But despite all of these factors, the NHS constantly comes near the top of national healthcare services. We do however need to look at how we use it. We need to get healthier as a nation, better diet, more exercise and recognise that A&E is for life threatening situations only!

ReputationRep:
    Is this a serious question?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.