The Student Room Group

dropping out of uni and reapplying

Hi there, i really need some advice!

I am studing primary education at university, and even though i love my course i do not like the university i am at (long drive, rough/dangerous area, lecturers lack in support). I got into uni through clearing, and i made a split decision without really considering if the university was right for me. I also have a very short amount of work experience in a primary school. I feel like dropping out of uni and reapplying for next year would be a good option. In that time i can earn some money and do more work experience in a primary school.
I do not know how to go about doing this however. I know it requires reapplying through ucas, but do i have to drop out of uni first? Can i remain at my current university for a back-up? Also, who writes my reference? Do i need to get in touch with my old sixth form?
Please can someone answer these questions or give me some advice on whether i am making the right decision.

Thank-you so much.
Original post by LittleMissyMe.x
Hi there, i really need some advice!

I am studing primary education at university, and even though i love my course i do not like the university i am at (long drive, rough/dangerous area, lecturers lack in support). I got into uni through clearing, and i made a split decision without really considering if the university was right for me. I also have a very short amount of work experience in a primary school. I feel like dropping out of uni and reapplying for next year would be a good option. In that time i can earn some money and do more work experience in a primary school.
I do not know how to go about doing this however. I know it requires reapplying through ucas, but do i have to drop out of uni first? Can i remain at my current university for a back-up? Also, who writes my reference? Do i need to get in touch with my old sixth form?
Please can someone answer these questions or give me some advice on whether i am making the right decision.

Thank-you so much.

Well you could stay at your current university and pass the year, then try to transfer to year 2? Otherwise do you want to use up a year of student finance just to start from scratch again? You can stay at your university and apply through ucas without having to drop out, you must declare that you are attending that university and they'd expect the reference to be from one of your lecturers there rather than someone from your sixth form.
Original post by claireestelle
Well you could stay at your current university and pass the year, then try to transfer to year 2? Otherwise do you want to use up a year of student finance just to start from scratch again? You can stay at your university and apply through ucas without having to drop out, you must declare that you are attending that university and they'd expect the reference to be from one of your lecturers there rather than someone from your sixth form.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I have thought about going into year 2, but the course at the university i'm at now is a BA hons whereas the course at the uni i want to go to is BEd. Do you know if this is a problem?
Original post by LittleMissyMe.x
Hi, thanks for your reply.
I have thought about going into year 2, but the course at the university i'm at now is a BA hons whereas the course at the uni i want to go to is BEd. Do you know if this is a problem?

I think it will depend on the modules you study in first year and whether the content is similar to where you want to transfer to, give univerisites you like the look of an email and see what they say:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending