Turn on thread page Beta

struggling with a level course- do i stick it out? watch

ReputationRep:
    So i'm at complete war with myself here. My trouble is i'm really struggling with history a level to the point where i dread coming into sixth form everyday. Nothing seems to stick and everyday drags on.

I told myself before the half term holidays i'd just bear it through- after all, these 2 years will pass quickly- but the stress has been building up so much and my anxiety is running haywire. My parents and teachers seem to think i'm coping but that's far from the truth.

My question is, what do i do? I could quit but it's almost 8 weeks into the course and i don't even know how to let my teacher know about this. And i've thought of the possibility of restarting with new a levels next year...but that would also hinder my chances of getting into a decent med school. Any advice? I'm so so stuck :/
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by bytheseasons)
    So i'm at complete war with myself here. My trouble is i'm really struggling with history a level to the point where i dread coming into sixth form everyday. Nothing seems to stick and everyday drags on.

I told myself before the half term holidays i'd just bear it through- after all, these 2 years will pass quickly- but the stress has been building up so much and my anxiety is running haywire. My parents and teachers seem to think i'm coping but that's far from the truth.

My question is, what do i do? I could quit but it's almost 8 weeks into the course and i don't even know how to let my teacher know about this. And i've thought of the possibility of restarting with new a levels next year...but that would also hinder my chances of getting into a decent med school. Any advice? I'm so so stuck :/
    If you want to do medicine, then you kind of have to stick with doing a levels and can't do any resits really. Are you coping with your other a levels okay?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad

How many A-Levels are you currently doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    If you want to do medicine, then you kind of have to stick with doing a levels and can't do any resits really. Are you coping with your other a levels okay?
    yikes. honestly i'm not completely settled on med but it's the course i've always tried to secure. hence my choice of doing biology and chemistry a levels, which thankfully i'm finding alright. so if it does get to a really bad point...i suppose considering other uni courses might be an idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illimitable)
    How many A-Levels are you currently doing?
    3- my sixth form only allows this. if i did happen to quit history, my other option would be sociology.

ReputationRep:
    I would just try and stick with it, in the hope that it may get better soon. Even if it isn't your favorite subject I'm sure you can just stick it out for a year and then drop it after AS.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    yikes. honestly i'm not completely settled on med but it's the course i've always tried to secure. hence my choice of doing biology and chemistry a levels, which thankfully i'm finding alright. so if it does get to a really bad point...i suppose considering other uni courses might be an idea.
    3- my sixth form only allows this. if i did happen to quit history, my other option would be sociology.
    Do you think you could get an A in it? If not then see if you can swap to something which would get you an A. Without 3 as then it's unlikely you could do medicine as your first degree i m afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    I would just try and stick with it, in the hope that it may get better soon. Even if it isn't your favorite subject I'm sure you can just stick it out for a year and then drop it after AS.
    *buzzer noise* afraid i can't- my sixth form's gone through some kind of reform where we see each course through to A2. now do you see how messed up of a dilemma i've gotten myself into here :bebored:

ReputationRep:
    *buzzer noise* afraid i can't- my sixth form's gone through some kind of reform where we see each course through to A2. now do you see how messed up of a dilemma i've gotten myself into here
    The same with my sixth form.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    If you can switch History to Sociology then do it. Only if you are 100% that you like Sociology more than History and that you will do better at Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you could get an A in it? If not then see if you can swap to something which would get you an A. Without 3 as then it's unlikely you could do medicine as your first degree i m afraid.
    ehhh questionable. if i work reaaaaaally hard and experience some kind of epiphany to maintain a motivated mindset then i might just clinch it. I was initially aiming for a B though- which might be more realistic. Do you know if there are any rg unis that take AAB? .-.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illimitable)
    If you can switch History to Sociology then do it. Only if you are 100% that you like Sociology more than History and that you will do better at Sociology.
    i might try and discuss it with my teacher...i've left it so last mINUTE though why am i so difficult
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    i might try and discuss it with my teacher...i've left it so last mINUTE though why am i so difficult
    Yeah I get what you mean and if you do end up switching you will have to do extra work to catch up with the class.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything you're struggling with in particular?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    ehhh questionable. if i work reaaaaaally hard and experience some kind of epiphany to maintain a motivated mindset then i might just clinch it. I was initially aiming for a B though- which might be more realistic. Do you know if there are any rg unis that take AAB? .-.
    For medicine you mean, no there aren't that i know of. I m not sure if any medical schools accept ABB to be honest although medicine isnt my area of expertise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarsellusWallace)
    Is there anything you're struggling with in particular?
    french revolution- oh my beans you dont even know how little i know .-.

ReputationRep:
    For medicine you mean, no there aren't that i know of. I m not sure if any medical schools accept ABB to be honest although medicine isnt my area of expertise.
    ahh i see, thanks so much for your help anyway

ReputationRep:
    french revolution- oh my beans you dont even know how little i know .-.
    If it's just general knowledge you're after, I'd recommend trying to pick up a copy of "The French Revolution" by J.F. Bosher, consulting sparknotes, and having a watch through of this BBC Documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bTQv9ESk2c

Should give you a vague overview.

If you like podcasts there's also http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/2014/07/index.html

All of the episodes that start with 3.xx are about the FR revolution.

ReputationRep:
    If you find A levels tough, wait until you experience uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingLAWZA)
    If you find A levels tough, wait until you experience uni
    that...reaaally doesn't help thanks m8

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.