Turn on thread page Beta

My insurance renewal quote has tripled for no reason watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to renew my insurance for the 4th year, I have 3 years no claim bonus with clean license. Last year I paid £640 with Admiral on a 1999 Honda Civic 1.5 which was my first car and I've been with Admiral for 3 years. I sold my civic in February after owning it for 2 and half years and bought a 1.9 Golf which cost £400 on top to insure. Few months later I sold the Golf as I didn't like it and bought a 1.9 Fabia VRS in which I got £56 refund from insurance. So basically I paid around £1000 for insurance for this third year.

Now my renewal quote is £1600ish. I've checked at various comparison sites over the last few days and the cheapest I'm getting is £1200ish with a different insurance company. Admiral is no longer the cheapest for me.

I don't understand why I have to pay double or triple for the 4th year. I only paid £1200 on my first year and that was with both parents as named drivers. I'm doing the same this time too. All the drivers have clean license and I've had mine for 5 years and I'm 24.

Could someone help please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h4mza)
    I'm about to renew my insurance for the 4th year, I have 3 years no claim bonus with clean license. Last year I paid £640 with Admiral on a 1999 Honda Civic 1.5 which was my first car and I've been with Admiral for 3 years. I sold my civic in February after owning it for 2 and half years and bought a 1.9 Golf which cost £400 on top to insure. Few months later I sold the Golf as I didn't like it and bought a 1.9 Fabia VRS in which I got £56 refund from insurance. So basically I paid around £1000 for insurance for this third year.

Now my renewal quote is £1600ish. I've checked at various comparison sites over the last few days and the cheapest I'm getting is £1200ish with a different insurance company. Admiral is no longer the cheapest for me.

I don't understand why I have to pay double or triple for the 4th year. I only paid £1200 on my first year and that was with both parents as named drivers. I'm doing the same this time too. All the drivers have clean license and I've had mine for 5 years and I'm 24.

maybe the larger engine size :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Were the additional sums / refunds all for a whole year? If not, your premium may well have been quite a lot higher than you thought. Is the cover / value of the car the same?

Car insurance is just one of those things where you have to shop around a lot. Online forums / clubs can be useful for finding insurance companies that give good premiums for your car / profile. Also, ask Admiral how you can lower the premium. For example, perhaps having named drivers is now a negative.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I always pay my insurance for whole year, fully comp as always and value isn't the same as the Golf was the most expensive car at £2k. I think I will go for modified car policy since they are alot cheap for people of my age.

ReputationRep:
    What he meant was that if you paid another £400 half way through the year, then that would be equivalent to ~£800 more at the start of the year. They don't charge you for the months you've "used", only for the remaining months once you've changed vehicle.

ReputationRep:
    this is perfectly normal for them to bump up the insurance, they put it up and hope you can't be bothered to hassle with getting a new insurer.

I'm also curious as to how £1600 is triple £1000.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by h4mza)

This car is more expensive to insure than the one you had at renewal time last year, hence why the quotes are more expensive. But it doesn't explain why its quite that expensive though.
    Have you tried third party fire and theft cover instead? That may be worth looking into instead depending on the value of your car. Also check insurers who arent on comparison sites, such as aviva, churchill and direct line.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by h4mza)

Go on a website and get a quote from admiral as though you are a new customer. See of ot is different from the renewal figure. get other quotes as well.

Btw iyour headline is misleading as you changed cars. It didnt tryple, but has one up by 60%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h4mza)

too many changes happened to my dad as well in the last 4 years he's had 7 cars is insurance went from £180 per year to over £400 (over £500 if you count what I pay for my merc)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 5, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.