help! gdl screw up Watch

welsh crescent
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey guys

I have a 2.1 from Oxford, AAB at A level, yet somehow managed to screw up the gDL almost entirely. The doctor diagnosed me with depression and bpp law school gave me a medical deferral to sit the exams next year on a first sit basis. I'm in ridiculous debt, and am door knocking for a whole year to pay off 7.5k, so any legal work experience I'll fit in will be minimal. I had two grand life schemes, the first was to go into the magic circle and then setup a nice cosy high street practice in my 30's and the second was to do the bvc and be a family barrister. Ideally, I'd like to get someone to pay for my lpc, and am thinking of maybe harassing a few of the big regional players where I live. I was surrounded by arrogant oxbridge types who told me that the gdl was easy! To the contrary, it was one of the hardest things I've ever done! I'm not sure if it'll be worth my while pursuing a career in law and am seriously thinking of a major career change. I've done about half a mini pupillage, and am a qualified trainee advisor at the CAB.

I want to earn some money!

any advice at all?

cheers guys
Angelic_19
Report 11 years ago
OMG....im about to start the GDL ....is it really that hard????:eek:
welsh crescent
its a very intense course, just keep on top of it and you'll be fine. I didn't unfortunately, owing to my own immaturity and general sense of self righteousness...any more experienced lawyers willing to post me some advice?
DenningsWig
Report 11 years ago
Get on a graduate training scheme at a big firm in London if you can't be bothered with 10 million years of law study. My friend just go on one at Price WaterHouse Coopers and is on some good wedge.
welsh crescent
wow - you have faith in me. Thats very sweet. Well, I think I'm going to have problems getting on a training scheme owing to the fact that it took me 2 yrs to get the gdl, and I'm going to have to do some serious cv cosmetics to try and make that not look like a complete disaster. Do you have any advice at all or anything which may inspire me with some serious hope? I would love to get on an accountancy training scheme only I don't think I'm good enough at all, since I haven't got any work experience etc. Also, do you think it's worth me appying to graduate training schemes now since I haven't technically finished the gDL. Do you know of any stories which can inspire me with hope? How do I make knocking on doors for a charity sound like more than what it is? I do feel like a complete jerk, but theres not much i can do. I don't understand failure!
x
ma2k5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't know about grad schemes - don't they want grads within 18 months/2 years of completion of degree at the big4?
welsh crescent
I do remember seeing on a pwc advert that they would consider career changers...any advice?
welsh crescent
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Interactive_advice/Chat/p!elmggX?mainstate=7&substate=7& cid=200
welsh crescent
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Interactive_advice/Chat/p!elmggX?mainstate=7&substate=7& cid=200

apparently it doesn't matter when you graduated, at least according to this pwc discussion forum
Leo_T
Report 11 years ago
Hi there,

I think you should concentrate on getting through the GDL and think about spending the next year gaining some legal work experience - I am sure that you could find something that pays.

I myself completed the GDL over two years as a part-time student so I don't think you should worry about this too much. You do need to think about how you will present this to potential employers, however. I can tell you from experience that a patchy medical history can be a hinderance.

The GDL is an incredibly demanding course, whatever anyone else says. I had completed 8 years of university education prior to the GDL - at both undergraduate and postgraduate level at decent universities and can honestly say that the GDL was the most challenging course I've undertaken.

If you use next year wisely I think you may be able to turn this blip into a blessing. Why not write to some of the regional law firms? You could tell them that you have partially completed the GDL, but that you will now be completing your studies part-time and ask if they have any paralegal positions available.
welsh crescent
I have no idea how I'm going to pay for the lpc, which sucks even more...it feels really dead end this has been a really challenging time for me. I never thought that I'd be anticipating a career change at the age of 23
Leo_T
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by welsh crescent)
I have no idea how I'm going to pay for the lpc, which sucks even more...it feels really dead end this has been a really challenging time for me. I never thought that I'd be anticipating a career change at the age of 23
Believe me it's much tougher trying to change career at the age of 33!!

Don't worry too much about the LPC for the time being - you've got a further year to try and secure some funding. You've paid your GDL fees and it would be a shame not to complete the course - I think you should focus on getting through those exams.

Have you heard of the 'law in a box' people - they do revision courses and lectures and stuff. I think they're products are excellent and might help you to keep up the momentum this year.

You are young and bright. To be honest, with your A Levels and a 2.1 from Oxford, the world is your oyster as they say. Try to put your mind to how you can make the best of this year.
Angelic_19
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Leo_T)
Believe me it's much tougher trying to change career at the age of 33!!

Don't worry too much about the LPC for the time being - you've got a further year to try and secure some funding. You've paid your GDL fees and it would be a shame not to complete the course - I think you should focus on getting through those exams.

Have you heard of the 'law in a box' people - they do revision courses and lectures and stuff. I think they're products are excellent and might help you to keep up the momentum this year.

You are young and bright. To be honest, with your A Levels and a 2.1 from Oxford, the world is your oyster as they say. Try to put your mind to how you can make the best of this year.

I agree. With good A-levels and a degree from Oxford....you'll be fine. I can't believe your worrying with results as good as those. :O
Just keep at the GDL...you can do it
welsh crescent
any suggestions on how I could secure funding for the lpc? I think im going to have to get high commendations/distinctions in the four papaers that I need to sit in order to get anywhere! I think i like 'human' law, like immigration and family, but need to be realistic in terms of paying bills so wouldn't mind practicing a smattering of commercial. I really think that none of the big firms in Cardiff are going to look at me (two years to do the gDL...you must be joking!...) Although my academic record to date is quite good, it does seem impossible to overcome this one! Where should I go knocking doors?
dragon_1706
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've only just read this thread, but I really wouldn't panic. If you're redoing the GDL exams on that basis, it isn't the same as resitting, so I don't think you need to make a big issue of it, especially if you'll be working this year - firms will probably just assume you studied part-time.

If you're sure you want a legal career (which isn't entirely clear from some of the posts), you might have to accept that you'll have to take out a loan to pay the LPC fees. The kinds of law you're interested in aren't normally done by the types of firm that pay LPC fees, at least in Cardiff... but if that's what you want to do, you should stick to it - I know the LPC fees are huge, but in 10 years time it'll all be forgotten!
always + forever
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've just finished my GDL: from my experience, firms aren't as worried about the GDL as they are about degree results and A-levels. You have excellent results up until this point and so I wouldn't really worry about taking 2 years to do the GDL. Many people take it part time and it doesn't place you at any disadvantage as far as i know.

If you're still interested in a legal career, the most important thing is getting some experience. Any experience is good: from high street to MC. Start sending out some letters to local firms asking for a couple of days work experience. Applications for xmas schemes with city firms that will pay for your LPC (such as Travers and CMS CMck) will open soon and these are tailored (in my experience again) to non-law people. Apply to as many as you can. It is never easy but you will get there in the end.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (23)
45.1%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (16)
31.37%
I don't have an opinion (12)
23.53%

Watched Threads