jj.repinec
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am in Year 12 (doing first year of new a level or as level) and have chosen the subjects Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths. As I am looking to study medicine I found out through the university requirements that a fourth subject does not need to be done at AS level. Therefore I'm in a big dilemma on whether to drop Further maths or not. The only benefit I see of choosing to continue is that my headteacher has told me that Further Maths helps with A level Maths (or AS level maths) and apparently makes it easier. But i want to know if does it really help with normal maths and how much? It would be really helpful if you told me what specific topics it would help in as well. Is it really worth to continue the subject?
Thank you
jordanshelley97
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Further maths doesn't particularly help with Maths in the sense that you learn things in FM that help you in maths, its just that you use the skills learnt from maths in FM so you're practicing them even more than you would be. If that's the only reason you would continue FM then I would say drop it, as it's harder than maths anyway and the extra workload could possibly hold you back a bit
jj.repinec
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by jordanshelley97)
Further maths doesn't particularly help with Maths in the sense that you learn things in FM that help you in maths, its just that you use the skills learnt from maths in FM so you're practicing them even more than you would be. If that's the only reason you would continue FM then I would say drop it, as it's harder than maths anyway and the extra workload could possibly hold you back a bit
Thank you so much, i really like and understood your answer and have started to realise that you are right that it doesn't make it easier since the topics are more complex. I think i am deciding to drop it since that's the only reason for why I am holding on to it ( even though it is not even a valid reason)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (126)
29.44%
No (302)
70.56%

Watched Threads