Qer
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
how to name
CH3CH2CH2CL
can anyone tell me step by step
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
work out the number of carbon atoms in the skeleton: this will give you the meth/eth/prop/but part.

look at the bonds in the skeleton: are they all singe (alkane) or are there some double (alkene) or triple (alkyne) bonds?

Look at any functional groups and include them in the name, indicating which carbon atom has the function group.

So in your example you've got 3 carbons in the skeleton = prop
No double bonds: propane
Chlorine atom attatched: chloro.. to first carbon, so 1-chloro...

So overall, you've got 1-chloropropane.
Qer
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
work out the number of carbon atoms in the skeleton: this will give you the meth/eth/prop/but part.

look at the bonds in the skeleton: are they all singe (alkane) or are there some double (alkene) or triple (alkyne) bonds?

Look at any functional groups and include them in the name, indicating which carbon atom has the function group.

So in your example you've got 3 carbons in the skeleton = prop
No double bonds: propane
Chlorine atom attatched: chloro.. to first carbon, so 1-chloro...

So overall, you've got 1-chloropropane.
thanks
can you do this for me
draw structure of methylbytaneone
will'o'wisp
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Qer)
how to name
CH3CH2CH2CL
can anyone tell me step by step
longest chain of carbons

count functional groups closest to the first carbon
it has 3 carbons so it's got a prop
there's just a cl group on the end of the molecule
so it's propane
then 1-chloropropane
(Original post by Qer)
thanks
can you do this for me
is that methylbutanone?, still where is the methyl group????
and where is the double bond situated for the ketone bit? you gotta have some numbers man because there's different places where the methyl group and ketone functional group can go
HeroinMouth
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Qer)
thanks
can you do this for me
are you sure it's not methylbutanoate? 'Cos I've never heard of that.
Also what structure do you want? Skeletal/Structural etc?
Qer
Rep:
(Original post by Mnatalie99)
are you sure it's not methylbutanoate? 'Cos I've never heard of that.
Also what structure do you want? Skeletal/Structural etc?
Yeah i am sure
I want structural formula
This question if from Oxford as chemistry textbook
Qer
Rep:
(Original post by will'o'wisp)
longest chain of carbons

count functional groups closest to the first carbon
it has 3 carbons so it's got a prop
there's just a cl group on the end of the molecule
so it's propane
then 1-chloropropane

and where is the double bond situated for the ketone bit? you gotta have some numbers man because there's different places where the methyl group and ketone functional group can go
Yeah i was also confused with it
because thete is no number
will'o'wisp
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Qer)
Yeah i was also confused with it
because thete is no number
so is it a butanoate or butanone?
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by will'o'wisp)
Starting with butanone, there is only one carbon that you can attach a methyl group to, without it becoming a pentanone or having a five bonded carbon. There is no need for numbers.
will'o'wisp
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Starting with butanone, there is only one carbon that you can attach a methyl group to, without it becoming a pentanone or having a five bonded carbon. There is no need for numbers.
o ****

good point, it can only go on the second or third.....
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
By convention, the (priority - in this case the only) functional group would get the lowest carbon number, i.e. 2, so the methyl group would take the 3- position, but since they could only be on carbon number 2 and 3 respectively, they are superfluous and therefore omitted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads