Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Geog PS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Any hints/tips? Aiming for Oxbridge + Russell Group, equally phys or human geog, I like both.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    Any hints/tips? Aiming for Oxbridge + Russell Group, equally phys or human geog, I like both.
    Be enthusiastic and be yourself... try out a few opening paragraphs and pm me them if you want ( I am a geog teacher with lots of experience as a Year 13 tutor as well).
    You may not wish to put them up as threads as ideas can be filched. Discretion is more likely by pm. I'm happy to do this for Geography PS's only.(This is open to others as well, if you are reading this)

ReputationRep:
    W O R K E X P E R I E N C E !

As much as you can possibly get. All applicants will be spods with good grades - you need to set yourself apart from the rest of the field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1_Babe)
    W O R K E X P E R I E N C E !

As much as you can possibly get. All applicants will be spods with good grades - you need to set yourself apart from the rest of the field.
    But it's hard to get work experience for geog, especially where I am. I've applied to a few places, but heard nothing. What else do you suggest? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    But it's hard to get work experience for geog, especially where I am. I've applied to a few places, but heard nothing. What else do you suggest? Thanks
    It doesn't necessarily have to be geog based. Doing any thing will look good on your application, and will show you have a life outside of your studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1_Babe)
    It doesn't necessarily have to be geog based. Doing any thing will look good on your application, and will show you have a life outside of your studies.
    Ok, well I already have a part-time job, but I may look into some work experience too. WOuld I list that in the top section of the UCAS form where you fill in job details, or as part of my PS, or both? And also, do you know how I can tell if my PS is too long, because I've just written a first draft? Sorry for all the q's!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ok, well I already have a part-time job, but I may look into some work experience too. WOuld I list that in the top section of the UCAS form where you fill in job details, or as part of my PS, or both? And also, do you know how I can tell if my PS is too long, because I've just written a first draft? Sorry for all the q's!
    47 lines max with 1.25cm margins font 12 just about fits in the space on the online. You are not allowed to go lower than font 12 apparently.

ReputationRep:
    How far should PSs go back? Just extra-cirricular activites you've done in the 6th form, or back to GCSE??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    How far should PSs go back? Just extra-cirricular activites you've done in the 6th form, or back to GCSE??? :confused:
    I've included things i did in secondary school, such as representing my school at cross-country and being a prefect. Just don't go too far back and make sure you include a couple of things you do now.

ReputationRep:
    The online form allows a maxiumum of 53 lines. My PS was 53 lines (inc 2 paragraph breaks) and 520 words long.

ReputationRep:
    Durham Geog Dept - Desirable Skills and Evidence

ReputationRep:
    this may help

http://www.rgs.org/category.php?Page=4edsead1

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.