Turn on thread page Beta

I am messed up, alcohol looks like the only solution but can't stand the taste watch

My whole life has been taken over by sadness and disappointment. Even though I have not done anything wrong, I feel really guilty and worried all the time. The list goes on. I have visited my gp but I didn't get any help. I am 18 and right now alcohol looks like the only solution but I really dislike the taste.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My whole life has been taken over by sadness and disappointment. Even though I have not done anything wrong, I feel really guilty and worried all the time. The list goes on. I have visited my gp but I didn't get any help. I am 18 and right now alcohol looks like the only solution but I really dislike the taste.
    Hey :hugs: What sort of things are you worried and feel guilty about? You say you've visited your GP; what did they say?

Alcohol isn't the solution, I promise. I know it might seem like a really good idea at the moment but it's actually a depressant and can make you feel worse :/ Have you got any other distractions you could use?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hey OP,

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. I know it may not seem like it now, but turning to alcohol is not the solution. It might make things seem less pressing for a short amount of time but in the long run it won't help. It may even make you feel worse

If you're feeling upset like this, it's important to know you are not alone and there's so much support available for you if you need it. Never feel that you can't talk to your GP about this or if you need to chat to someone in private, no judgement and no strings attached, there's Samaritans or Nightline.

Please take care
    Ethan
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hi there. I'm so sorry you are going through this, but alcohol is not the answer. I know your gp didn't help last time, but go back and keep going back until they do help. Mine did not help me the first time I saw them. They are a bit unsure what to do with younger people and tend to try a "wait an see" approach that is offputting. If you don't go back they will assume you are fine, but if you go back and keep going back they will realise that you have a real problem. NHS has an online symptom checker for mh problems that can give you a good idea of what to include.

Go back with a note of everything. Don't leave anything out because it is awkward or you are worried about how it will sound. Write down that you are tempted to turn to alcohol and any things like that. They are looking for evidence that this is a real problem for you and not you overreacting to exam stress or other "teenage problems". Give them that evidence. They will help you.

You can also see a counselor (your college will have links to one for free), student suport, sane.org forum, samaritans, mind.org info and advice. Never give up on finding yoursetlf help. You have to push to be taken seriously sometimes, but when you are it will help

Feel free to ask me anything else. I've been in a simmilar place and know it can be difficult to be taken seriously. You are not alone though. Remember that.

(Original post by Deyesy)
    Hey :hugs: What sort of things are you worried and feel guilty about? You say you've visited your GP; what did they say?

Alcohol isn't the solution, I promise. I know it might seem like a really good idea at the moment but it's actually a depressant and can make you feel worse :/ Have you got any other distractions you could use?
    I don't know why I feel guilty. I am always feeling guilty and worried about something. I can never figure out

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why I feel guilty. I am always feeling guilty and worried about something. I can never figure out
    1st off do you normally always drink?

(Original post by 0to100)
    1st off do you normally always drink?
    No, I do not. Actually, I just turned 18 last week. I have only had alcohol once.

ReputationRep:
    No, I do not. Actually, I just turned 18 last week. I have only had alcohol once.
    right ok so, then this makes it completely pointless and reckless and self destructive to intentionally get drunk

If you've always struggled with alcohol then I get the resorting to it under stress a bit more but as you haven't...

(Original post by 0to100)
    right ok so, then this makes it completely pointless and reckless and self destructive to intentionally get drunk

If you've always struggled with alcohol then I get the resorting to it under stress a bit more but as you haven't...
    Yeah, I get what you mean mate. The only time I had alcohol, I think it did relieve stress. But yeah, I get you, cheers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get what you mean mate. The only time I had alcohol, I think it did relieve stress. But yeah, I get you, cheers
    yea well I'm telling you right now that is not a good road to go down at all
    I'm not even gona get into my personal life but long story short seriously take it from me you do not wanna be dependent on the drink
    you've been warned but it's your life
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You say you havent done anything wrong so dont feel guilty or beat yourself up.

Childline 0800 1111
    Samaritans 116 123- they listen but dont advise.

If the GP wasnt good enough, then change them till you find one you feel is listening to you. Sounds like you could do with seeing a counsellor.

Alcohol isnt really a solution, its only temporary and in the longer term can act as a depressant. You need to start opening up to people first. Virtually all things can be sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    My father is currently lying in a hospital bed because he's spent the last ten years blowing through his liver, trying to drown his sorrows.

Believe me, it's not worth it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.