Turn on thread page Beta

Do you care about your parents? watch

ReputationRep:
    Some of these threads where people want to become 'financially independent' and then abandon their parents is just sad.

I don't understand why some people bite the hand that feeds them?

And no I'm not saying that being financially independent is a bad thing, I'm saying abandoning your parents is sad when they have looked after you and been through so much.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    being financially independent is like lifting a burden off their shoulders though
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Wanting to live with your own money isn't quite abandoning your parents is it?
    Surely it's a good thing that after 18 years your parents get more money to themselves because of it. And I do greatly care about my mum.

ReputationRep:
    So did both sets of your grandparents live with your parents forever or did your parents eventually move into their own home?
    If they moved out does that mean they didn't care about them either?

Sorry but your assumption is pretty dumb. I suggest you stop thinking so much

ReputationRep:
    Of course I care about my parents, but they live in another country, so I do have to take care of myself. Of course it was my choice to move here to study, but anyway, why would I want to be a burden on them? If I can take care of myself, then I want to. I get my freedom, and I do keep in contact with them through texts/emails and then I visit them and my siblings on holidays. It's enough I think? I suppose some people wouldn't like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darksideous)
    Some of these threads where people want to become 'financially independent' and then abandon their parents is just sad.

I don't understand why some people bite the hand that feeds them?
    Not really biting the hand that feeds you but rather turning away from that hand and feeding yourself.

Still i wish my dad would drop dead, next to nothing redeeming about him, i would do almost anything for my mum though.

ReputationRep:
    indeed
    everything that your parents do for you go without you even TRYING to pay them back
    its really sad TT^TT
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by animeamanda1412)
    indeed
    everything that your parents do for you go without you even TRYING to pay them back
    its really sad TT^TT
    Well that's thousands of pounds everybody would be paying their parents back.Relying on them isn't paying them back is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Well that's thousands of pounds everybody would be paying their parents back.Relying on them isn't paying them back is it?
    im not saying paying them back with money, but pay them back with the feelings they had for you ((and no, not romantic for those immature enough to think that way)), pay them back by supporting them when they grow old, and weak enough to take care of themselves, paying them back by thinking about them, trying your best to not let them feel alone
    you cant just leave and thats it, all contact is gone and they basically become strangers
    im not saying you cant live by yourself and be independent or get married, thats everyone else and their choices
    but if you do decide to move out, whether it's marriage or not, that doesnt mean you cut all contact with them, dont visit them from time to time, dont think about them etc
    alot of people say they're "too busy"
    well guess what
    your parents were living so peacefully until you came to earth, your mum had to go through labour, feed you, clean you, care about you, spend days to months of sleepless nights because she has to clean your sh*t, did she abandon you because "she was too busy"??
    your dad was perfectly fine until you came, throwing tantrums because you didnt buy that toy that cost more than his monthly salary, make you get something and then not even glance at it, buying you stuff that cost so much when he couldve easily spent that money on himself
    and sooooo much stress your parents go through, but you just leave them, not having a care in the world as to how they're doing, are they lonely? do they eat healthily? are they comfortable?
    hell they could die and you wont even know and probably not care
    thats what i mean by paying your parents back
    go through the same hardships they went through when you were young
    give up at least a fraction of your time for them
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You do realise not everyone person has parents that treat them right, and financial independence is a good thing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    im not saying paying them back with money, but pay them back with the feelings they had for you ((and no, not romantic for those immature enough to think that way)), pay them back by supporting them when they grow old, and weak enough to take care of themselves, paying them back by thinking about them, trying your best to not let them feel alone
    you cant just leave and thats it, all contact is gone and they basically become strangers
    im not saying you cant live by yourself and be independent or get married, thats everyone else and their choices
    but if you do decide to move out, whether it's marriage or not, that doesnt mean you cut all contact with them, dont visit them from time to time, dont think about them etc
    well guess what
    your parents were living so peacefully until you came to earth, your mum had to go through labour, feed you, clean you, care about you, spend days to months of sleepless nights because she has to clean your sh*t, did she abandon you because "she was too busy"??
    your dad was perfectly fine until you came, throwing tantrums because you didnt buy that toy that cost more than his monthly salary, make you get something and then not even glance at it, buying you stuff that cost so much when he couldve easily spent that money on himself
    and sooooo much stress your parents go through, but you just leave them, not having a care in the world as to how they're doing, are they lonely? do they eat healthily? are they comfortable?
    Well it's their fault if they regret it, they decided to make a kid so they should be prepared for it.

ReputationRep:
    Financial independence is good for them. You're off yer nut

ReputationRep:
    too much lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    Well it's their fault if they regret it, they decided to make a kid so they should be prepared for it.
    no its not
    they treated you so sincerely
    they loved you so much, theyd rather they get hurt and see you live a perfectly happy life
    people who have the mindset are selfish
    she couldve had an abortion, but she didnt because she had hope in a son who would love her as much as she does
    who would care for her as much as she does
    is that what your parents deserve after YEARS of taking care of you and putting up with your sh*t?!

ReputationRep:
    Eh? Becoming financially independent isn't biting the hand that feeds you, quite the opposite in fact as you're removing the burden of your financial needs from your parents and they'll be better off themselves as a result.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    well guess what
    There are plenty of parents for whatever reason dont treat their kids well enough and in those situations it's perfectly sensible that someone want to cut contact as an adult. I get along perfectly well with my mum and visit 3/4 times a year, she understands as we both work full time and are busy that that is the best i can do (and my other parent did die but its not realistic that i see my mum very often when she's over 100 miles away). I went through quite the hardships as a child and even had to pay some of mums bills for her and certainly never once threw a tantrum because they wouldn't buy me something, in fact till this day i try to refuse any gifts mum offers me
    Not all children are how you describe and not everyone has the childhood you imagine so you should respect that some people could have good reasoning to bit the hand that feds them per say.

ReputationRep:
    Yeaaahhhh, I am blessed

ReputationRep:
    To children who disown their parents, they don't deserve to be called children.

To parents who abuse their children, they don't deserve to be called parents.

See how those 2 statements work off each other.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry not buying it at all, you can dress it up as much as you want but it clearly sounds to me as if it benefits YOU more to remain at home with your parents indefinitely.

I'm going to (most likely rightly) assume that you are from a different culture therefore that's how things are done in your family. Either east or south Asian so if that works for you then so be it but it pisses me off everytime people try to project their views on everyone else

See where I come from it's actually considered to be more of a burden to remain at home with your parents forever and live on their handouts
    Sure it's probably nice for them to have their family around you but pointless if you are not chipping in So the reason why most people want to be financially independent is so that their parents don't have to work themselves into an early grave trying to feed, clothes and shelter their 40year old children

Also there's a reason why old people tend to be the ones who complain the most about young kids being erratic and playing their music too loud. See when they reach a certain age they become annoyed more easily (just comes with getting old) and whilst it may seem nice to have the family around I don't think they will appreciate it much when you move your wife in and now they are sharing a home with their several children, their children's spouses and 10-15 screaming children on top of that
    THAT is why most people WANT to be successful and independent, to make their parents lives easier than more difficult.

I don't know where you got the idea from that moving out automatically means you are turning your back on your family. Ever heard of... visiting? Or is it considered some sort of taboo in your culture to move out? Do you become 'dead' to your parents if you try to leave??
    Either way, I don't envy your life much, especially when you being sexually active some day but have to keep it quiet as you don't want to wake your parents in the next room...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    There are plenty of parents for whatever reason dont treat their kids well enough and in those situations it's perfectly sensible that someone want to cut contact as an adult. I get along perfectly well with my mum and visit 3/4 times a year, she understands as we both work full time and are busy that that is the best i can do (and my other parent did die but its not realistic that i see my mum very often when she's over 100 miles away). I went through quite the hardships as a child and even had to pay some of mums bills for her and certainly never once threw a tantrum because they wouldn't buy me something, in fact till this day i try to refuse any gifts mum offers me
    Not all children are how you describe and not everyone has the childhood you imagine so you should respect that some people could have good reasoning to bit the hand that feds them per say.
    I do understand those whose parents abandoned them or didnt treat them properly, and in that case, i wouldnt blame the child/adult for completely lose contact with them after they grow up ((hell, id probably do that if i was in their place))
    the people im talking about are those whose parents did treat them as their child

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.