The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not quite the same as my bf graduated last year n I'm going into my 3rd year but will now be long distance all year round and we're staying together :smile:
Reply 2
Me and my baby are splitting up in a few weeks in time for university and that. It's not something I want to do, more something that I feel i have to do.

Good luck with it, it'll be hard to do - but don't back down if it's what you want, no matter how much she cries. :frown:

it'll be reet - it will be something you can look back on and laugh about in years to come - when you've got bigger, more hurtfull issues/problems. :smile:
Reply 3
thats pretty gd dedication, has it been hard?im going uni and they still skool-so land of opportunity for both of us lol i dnt think theres enuff of the trust thing for it.. maybe im jus bein pessimistic
Reply 4
There's very recently been a massive thread on this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=436662
Reply 5
jackyboy19
thats pretty gd dedication, has it been hard?im going uni and they still skool-so land of opportunity for both of us lol i dnt think theres enuff of the trust thing for it.. maybe im jus bein pessimistic

You're in the exact same position as me, my friend. She's going into year 13 at my old school - so we're going to split up round about when she goes back, so she has her friends to support her everyday and something to focus on - the last month before I go to york in october will be hell!

What university are you going to - is it far from her?
Reply 6
jackyboy19

If that was directed at me then yeah it has been hard, but there's emails, phone calls, msn + stuff n + we see each other every 2 weeks or so. It just makes the time we have together more special :smile:.
Reply 7
kexy lol yh exactly the same, plus im doing maths too! uni only an hour away but if i live away its irrelevant, arh well lol im jus havin a depressed one i think. i dnt think we'll stay shes ready for a split lol we're mentally prepared, spose just let nature run its course.
Reply 8
ugh I don't know whats going to happen to me and my boyfriend. Right from the start of our relationship, I kept telling him (and myself) that it couldn't get serious because I was going to university. (this was over a year ago). but at the time I didn't think I had to worry about it because i didn't think the relationship would last as long as it has so far. None of my previous relationships had lasted over about 4 months so I didn't think this one would be any different and just assumed it would be a bit of fun or whatever. But now more than a year on, we're both very attached to each other and even though it's what i made clear would happen, I don't feel i can be like "ok see ya! i'm off to uni now, nice to have known you!". But I always said I wanted to go to uni single and not be tied down by anything.
I think we'll stay together but have an "open relationship". or break up during term time and get back together during holidays. hahaha, like that'll work.
Reply 9
I personally think it's rubbish to split up just because you're going to uni without even trying to carry on the relationship. If you try and it doesn't work, fair enough, but to split up without even trying? Lame doesn't even begin to cover it.

(Though to be fair, I have been in an LDR throughout my 3 university years, and am about to embark on the 4th year, with us both being in different countries at that...so perhaps I am slightly biased :wink: )
I dont know how people can just decide that they are going to split up when one or both of them goes to University, I wouldnt be able to enjoy the relationship knowing that it was on a 'countdown' as such :s-smilie:
Angelil
I personally think it's rubbish to split up just because you're going to uni without even trying to carry on the relationship. If you try and it doesn't work, fair enough, but to split up without even trying? Lame doesn't even begin to cover it.

(Though to be fair, I have been in an LDR throughout my 3 university years, and am about to embark on the 4th year, with us both being in different countries at that...so perhaps I am slightly biased :wink: )

Totally agree, seems pathetic to break up just because of uni, yes people do change, but far too many chuck the towel in. What is more strange is when people agree to break up, why do they wait until the day they go to Uni when they know they are breaking up. How can it feel good in a relationship when you are in that situation.
sabby ohh

I think we'll stay together but have an "open relationship". or break up during term time and get back together during holidays. hahaha, like that'll work.

me and my bf are gonna try that...it seems like the best alternative....
I think its a pretty good thing that some people split up actually- because if your going to split up just because youre going to uni, it cant have been that good of a relationship in the first place and obviously wasnt worth trying for.

In my opinion if anyone was in a proper, committed relationship where you actually cared for and loved one another then splitting for uni wouldnt even be an option.
Reply 14
sabby ohh
ugh I don't know whats going to happen to me and my boyfriend. Right from the start of our relationship, I kept telling him (and myself) that it couldn't get serious because I was going to university. (this was over a year ago). but at the time I didn't think I had to worry about it because i didn't think the relationship would last as long as it has so far. None of my previous relationships had lasted over about 4 months so I didn't think this one would be any different and just assumed it would be a bit of fun or whatever. But now more than a year on, we're both very attached to each other and even though it's what i made clear would happen, I don't feel i can be like "ok see ya! i'm off to uni now, nice to have known you!". But I always said I wanted to go to uni single and not be tied down by anything.

SABINA!

How long have you been a member on here :O
Reply 15
Angelil

:dito: with the first part. If you give up instantly it just means that the temptation of university flings is more important than your previous relationship - not being worth putting up with the distance.. simple as, so if u do decide to break it because of this, i dont see why ud be so upset over something that wasnt very special to begin with (unless it was a one way thing...then ul..)
jackyboy19
yep unfortunately i have to 2, was known from the start of things but still :frown:
what are others doing! it'll be too hard staying togetha...

It's a rather immature thing to do. It takes away the whole of having a relationship.
sabby ohh

Open relationships rarely work as someone always gets hurt, taking a break the same thing because in reality the chances are you won't get back together. Either you want to stay together or you have a complete clean break off. Bit unfair if you want the best of both worlds.
adding to my last post, I fail to see how open relationships would work either... you would have to care not very much to not be seriously bothered that your other half would be being initimate with other people, and in the case of not caring very much, they shouldnt be together!
louisedotcom
I think its a pretty good thing that some people split up actually- because if your going to split up just because youre going to uni, it cant have been that good of a relationship in the first place and obviously wasnt worth trying for.

In my opinion if anyone was in a proper, committed relationship where you actually cared for and loved one another then splitting for uni wouldnt even be an option.

Relationships change when me and my BF started going out 6months ago we both agreed/thought that when he went to uni in october and i went into year 13 we would break up/be forced apart.

however now we have no intentions what so ever of breaking up. tho were in a bit of a different position to most of you guys as well actually only be about 4miles apart instead of 20 0dd

him going out with his uni mates on a night does worry me abit and i will probz miss being able to go out on a night with him as the town his uni is in is really strict on ID where as where we normally go isnt.

were just going to see how it goes and if we break up so be it but it deffinatly wont be just because hes at uni and i aint.

Latest

Trending

Trending