Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in Year 12 (doing first year of new a level or as level) and have chosen the subjects Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths. As I am looking to study medicine I found out through the university requirements that a fourth subject does not need to be done at AS level ( since most a level subjects have reformed). Therefore I'm in a big dilemma on whether to drop Further maths or not. The only benefit I see of choosing to continue is that my headteacher has told me that Further Maths helps with A level Maths (or AS level maths) and apparently makes it easier. I have had mini exams and Further Maths seems to be my weakest subject.But i want to know if does it really help with normal maths and how much? It would be really helpful if you told me what specific topics it would help in as well. Is it really worth it to continue the subject? Because right now, the only benefit I see of continuing it is the concept that it makes a level Maths easier.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Further Maths makes Maths easier, it just goes into deeper content. Wait till you do some more tests in Further Maths and maybe an end of year test and see how you're finding it. I wouldn't continue with it unless you're confident that you can get a good grade. 4 A Levels aren't necessary.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say if you are going to do it, drop it at AS (it's what I've done so I may be bias), but see how it goes for now, if you really struggle with it, then don't bother with it, it won't reflect well on you, but if you feel confident you can at least obtain a B, then do it.
    That said, does your college/sixth-form usually offer 4 AS-Levels/A-Levels? Or will the majority of people be taking 4 AS Levels? If so, it would be best to keep it, since it would be frowned upon if the standard student did 4 AS-Levels and you only did 3, if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    I'd say if you are going to do it, drop it at AS (it's what I've done so I may be bias), but see how it goes for now, if you really struggle with it, then don't bother with it, it won't reflect well on you, but if you feel confident you can at least obtain a B, then do it.
    That said, does your college/sixth-form usually offer 4 AS-Levels/A-Levels? Or will the majority of people be taking 4 AS Levels? If so, it would be best to keep it, since it would be frowned upon if the standard student did 4 AS-Levels and you only did 3, if that makes sense?
    Well, firstly from my first test: I got a C which just shows that maybe I'm not really that good at it. Not a lot of people in my sixth form do 4 subjects. There are some people that are doing 4 like me and are deciding to drop it. But I really don't mind if i get frowned upon (hopefully I don't) because I'm really think that the extra time thatI get out of dropping the subject might be useful as my other three main subjects are going to get much harder (and i have to put more time into them). So do you really think I need to do it for AS and should i just drop it already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jj.repinec)
    Well, firstly from my first test: I got a C which just shows that maybe I'm not really that good at it. Not a lot of people in my sixth form do 4 subjects. There are some people that are doing 4 like me and are deciding to drop it. But I really don't mind if i get frowned upon (hopefully I don't) because I'm really think that the extra time thatI get out of dropping the subject might be useful as my other three main subjects are going to get much harder (and i have to put more time into them). So do you really think I need to do it for AS and should i just drop it already?
    If you enjoy it, keep it on, if not, just drop it, there's no point carrying it on.
    If you're thinking of dropping it because it's difficult, maybe give yourself some more time to adjust properly before you make the final decision.

Hope I helped!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.