The Student Room Group

Heavy bleeding not my period help

So I had unprotected sex on Saturday the 22nd and got the morning after pill on the Monday. My period isn't due until around the 7th of November but when I woke up at my boyfriend's on the 30th everything was literally drenched in blood, like he's had to buy a new duvet not just the cover (I slept on the duvet not in it). I read the leaflet it was levonelle and it said I should have spotting but nothing about this? Does anyone know what this is? At first we had thought I misscarried but that doesn't really seem likely but was it just my body flushing out from taking the morning after? I don't remember having any pain only when we had sex so he stopped but we were both really drunk and it was dark and we just fell straight to sleep so neither of us realised until we woke up the next morning, the condom was also covered in blood too
Reply 1
When I took the MAP, I got heavy bleeding too before my period. I skipped my period for that month and that early bleed was classed as my period. I never got any spotting, just heavy bleeding but with normal period like cramping. I started bleeding about five days after the pill and about 6 days before my period was due and after that, I didn't get a normal period again until the following month.

The MAP affects everyone differently. Some might spot but get their normal period as well that month, some might have heavy bleeding and still get or skip their period and then the MAP might fail for others. If the bleeding worries you then it would be wise to see a nurse or doctor but I did experience that each time I took that pill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I had unprotected sex on Saturday the 22nd and got the morning after pill on the Monday. My period isn't due until around the 7th of November but when I woke up at my boyfriend's on the 30th everything was literally drenched in blood, like he's had to buy a new duvet not just the cover (I slept on the duvet not in it). I read the leaflet it was levonelle and it said I should have spotting but nothing about this? Does anyone know what this is? At first we had thought I misscarried but that doesn't really seem likely but was it just my body flushing out from taking the morning after? I don't remember having any pain only when we had sex so he stopped but we were both really drunk and it was dark and we just fell straight to sleep so neither of us realised until we woke up the next morning, the condom was also covered in blood too

Call 111 or the pharmacy you got it from just to be safe. I can immagine that the MAP could cause a fair ammount of bleeding though so try not to worry about any potential other causes until you have spoken to somebody.

111 is an advice line for the NHS that tells you the best action to take based on your issue and can put you throug to a nurse or book out of hours appointments if necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest