Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on dealing with loneliness during university?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at uni yet so this might not be too helpful, but have you tried joining clubs or societies? You might be able to meet people there that share your interests.

What course are you doing and what year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    Same as the person above, i'm not in uni but i thought they promote lots of different societies? My understanding is that there are a great variety to choose from- surely you'd find something of your interest looking at some of them? Maybe you can find some volunteer work or other extracurricular stuff to meet people?

ReputationRep:
    Also it might be uncomfortable at first, but try to throw yourself into social situations you'd rather avoid like parties where you don't know everyone etc. You're bound to meet new people that way

ReputationRep:
    It's normal to feel homesick and lonely at times, especially if you are still in your first term or two. Those feelings will pass - nothing stays the same for long. So don't beat yourself up - you are just reacting like a normal person in a stressful situation. Be as kind to yourself as you would be to a best friend who was feeling this way.

Set yourself a few simple and achievable goals to start building connections with people.

If you are feeling brave, other people - your peers, tutors or support staff - can be surprisingly helpful if you let them know that you would like some help. You might approach someone on your course and say directly, "Would you mind if I walked over to the lecture tomorrow with you - I'm feeling a bit lonely at the moment". or more indirectly, "I'm struggling with this essay - do you mind if I asked you something about it in the coffee break?" .

If you are feeling withdrawn or isolated, it can be easier to start by getting involved with some sort of activity-based group. That way, you don't have to make a special effort to interact with people, you just do so as part of the shared activity. Examples that pretty much anyone could start into might include a singing group, volunteering on a social project (like a soup kitchen for homeless people) or a sport. If you've no experience, just say, "I'm really interested but I've never done it before. Is there any way I could get some coaching/teaching...?".

Try to fight the temptation to withdraw and hide in your room. And don't stress if it doesn't all happen at once. Just plug away, a bit at a time. It's going to be fine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bangor University
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 14 Oct '18
  2. Bangor University
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 28 Oct '18
  3. Bangor University
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 10 Nov '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.