Turn on thread page Beta

If you married someone of a different faith to you... watch

Would you convert if it was required? How would you raise your children too?

I was speaking to my grandma about this and she was telling me how interfaith marriages were majority of the time doomed to fail. I disagree but how would you deal with it if you married someone of a different religion?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Well it's not quite the same but I m an atheist marrying someone who believes in God, it doesn't cause any problems for us. Kids wise they can choose their own beliefs and we ll answer any questions that they have in life relating to religion, I ll even take them to visit places of worship if they asked.
    I would never consider converting for someone as that's like them expecting you to change for them, if you have similar morals and values regardless of religion then I think people can make a marriage work.

ReputationRep:
    I probably wouldn't convert, no. I'm not going to sacrifice everything I stand for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I was speaking to my grandma about this and she was telling me how interfaith marriages were majority of the time doomed to fail. I disagree but how would you deal with it if you married someone of a different religion?
    I would not convert and neither would I allow my kids to convert.

If the religious partner do not accept these terms - they can take a hike.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Hindu and I wouldn't ever convert if I married a person from another religion.
    I don't even plan to marry a Hindu myself. If I marry an atheist/agnostic I'd expose the kids to both Hinduism and atheism/agnosticism and let them make their own mind up after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    I would not convert and neither would I allow my kids to convert.

If the religious partner do not accept these terms - they can take a hike.
    But, what if your children want to convert, without any influence from someone else.

ReputationRep:
    it depends how practicing they are i think
    if they just believed in the basic values of their religion like don't kill, don't steal, give to charity etc. generic religious stuff and don't care for the more intricate/ complex matters then i think a person like that's marriage to someone of a different faith but a similar level of practise could work very well

but if they were both very strictly practicing or even if one of them was it wouldn't work imo - too many differences. Unless it's something like a sect difference - like strict shia and strict sunni would work much better than strict muslim and strict christian

ReputationRep:

No why would i convert wat.
    I raise them normally why would anything change?
    They can do what they want but they ain't teaching my kid some religion, they can decide for themselves when they grow up, if my partner forces it then they were never truly my partner in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saba XD)
    But, what if your children want to convert, without any influence from someone else.
    There is no such thing as 'without influence from someone else' when it comes to religion. Religious people are always trying to convert people.

I got invited to a Christian retreat, the folks who invited me knew I'm an atheist and and guess what - I spent the whole week fending off attempts to convert me.

I once worked in an office where there's a group of muslims - who tried to convert me. They kept showing me Youtube videos of people like me who'd converted to Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Your grandma is right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Well it's not quite the same but I m an atheist marrying someone who believes in God, it doesn't cause any problems for us. Kids wise they can choose their own beliefs and we ll answer any questions that they have in life relating to religion, I ll even take them to visit places of worship if they asked.
    I would never consider convert for someone as that's like them expecting you to change for them, if you have similar morals and values regardless of religion then I think people can make a marriage work.
    Completely agree with you here. Also, I know someone whose mum had to convert to marry his dad but she secretly is still a Christian and he told me that this has caused some arguments between the mum and dad.
    Personally, I would never converting as claireestelle said, it's like changing who you are for another person which I think you should never do.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I would marry someone from a different religion.

ReputationRep:
    Interfaith marriages are not doomed to fail. It depends whether the 2 people involved come from faiths that respect other beliefs. If yes, it is possible to raise kids who have both faiths. If either one partner or both have religions that do not accept other faiths, then one partner and their children will have to convert to the faith of the less compromising partner. Or they divorce.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about converting myself but I would like my children to grow up and choose to believe in the faith of their choice.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I would not convert and would not ask anyone to convert for me. I do not plan on marrying or having kids anyway but if I were to have kids, I would want them to be brought up as a Roman Catholic, at least to start with. If they fell away from the faith or did not pursue it, I would understand and not force the issue. But I would want them to have a similarly religious upbringing to the one I had :jebus:

So your grandmother would probs be right, in terms of anyone with different beliefs trying to marry and raise kids with TLG

ReputationRep:
    I see a difference of faith as incompatibility and personally would only consider Atheists and Agnostics for long term relationships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I'm a Hindu and I wouldn't ever convert if I married a person from another religion.
    I don't even plan to marry a Hindu myself. If I marry an atheist/agnostic I'd expose them to both Hinduism and atheism/agnosticism and let them make their own mind up after.
    u gonna marry a muslim boy like chai wala

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    u gonna marry a muslim boy like chai wala
    Nooo I'm going to marry an atheist with a high sex drive
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Is that just your preference?

ReputationRep:
    are you saying chai wala can't get it up?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.