Turn on thread page Beta

RAF uni spoonsorship procedure + grades? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Got a few questions just, was wondering if someone could help me out

I've just finished my Lower Sixth year, and have been told by the RAF to phone the AFCO with my grades as soon after I get my results as possible. Does this mean that the first big step I take is just that - just phone them, and see what happens? I presume they don't give out the applications forms in advance, without knowing your grades first.

Which leads on to my next question - what kind of AS grades are they looking for, to give university sponsorship?

A few other questions; is anybody put off Direct Entry after Sixth Form by the fact that if they don't make the grade, they're out without a degree? Direct Entry application is at the same stage as UCAS (September), isn't it?

My careers teacher, although happy with my team work and volunteer work, suggested a leadership accreditation scheme - however, I've seen none. I guess the scope is lessened by where I live in the UK, but even so. Any ideas at all?

How soon after handing in grades for sponsorship is the initial AFCO filter interview?

Sorry for all the questions - maybe any answers will help others in a similar situation

andy.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    What grades you need depaends entirely on what job you are going for. I will break it down into three areas for you.

NC Aircrew: 5 GSCEs/SCEs at (Grade C/3 minimum) depends on what you are going for as some may need specific subjects. These guys are primarily based on the aircraft but they are not officers.

Trades: Qualifications: 2 GCSEs/SCEs at Grade C/3. These also sometimes need specific subjects. These bad boys rule the ground and do everything from erecting arials to weapons systems.

Officers: 5 GCSEs/SCEs and 2 A-levels or 3 Highers or equivalent. GCSEs/SCEs at Grade C/3 minimum. The creme du la creme of the air force. The big bosses who make sure everything ticks over nicely.

Of course there are good and bad point about everything. Officers are in charge but have secondary duties, Trades are the lowest paid to start of with but in my opinion they get to have more fun!

Phone your AFCO , or even better go in with your results. If you meet the requirements they will give you an application form to fill in. (be warned-lots of writing!)

As for Direct Entry after Sixth Form, if you don't 'make the grade' then who ays you can't have a degree? You can still join one late or take a year out and do something worthwhile with your time that the RAF and Unis will both look highly at. You just have to ask yourself if you really want to wait 3-4 years to join the RAF or do you want it so badly right now you can't wait?

As for the filter interview my AFCO set it up as soon as I felt prepared to sit it. Usually they will give you at least a few weeks to prepare. I had my presentation in April, my filter Interview in May (for officer) which I passed, then I decided to go trades and I just passed into the RAF yesterday.

Hope that helps you!

ReputationRep:
    and I just passed into the RAF yesterday.
    Congratulations! That's mad, good luck for the future!

Thanks for your help there, much appreciated. Basically then, grades for sponsorship are the same as grades for just going ahead in then, yeah? Makes sense I guess - sponsorship guarantees a place in Officer Training for pilots so yeah, that's pretty logical - oops!

At the minute, it seems to me like I have 3 options, and I think I'll be greedy and try them all.

1 - Apply for sponsorship for Officer Pilot
    2 - Apply for direct entry as pilot (?Officer Pilot? - that's possible?)
    3 - Apply for Air Loadmaster

I *really, really, really* want to go straight in. *really* - just worried about university later, if I don't make it. However, as mum said, plenty of people go late, and great things become of them - and you said, sublime_envy, they value your time in the RAF, no matter what happens.

Thanks again!

andy.

EDIT: Just realised though, you listed A-level grades - but I'm applying for sponsorship following my Lower Sixth year using AS-level grades - any ideas?

Cheers!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I just have to wait around now until I'm called up to training.

Yes you have to get the same results for sponsership as you would do if you were going direct entry. This is because when you are sponsered you are expected to go into the RAF after your schooling/degree.

When you are filling in your application forms you can give a first and second preference. As far as I am aware you can't apply for direct enty and sponsership as they conflict with each other, but definatly check that with your AFCO as I am unsure.

All pilots are officers, just to let you know. You can apply for direct entry or sponsership and the competition is VERY TOUGH. You may soon notice that most of the people going RAF on this forum want pilot.

If you do really want it then go for it now. I will give you two personal examples:

I have wanted to join the RAF for 4 years but decided to finish up school and then go to university. I did a year and hated it. All I could think about was joining up to the RAF. So I dropped out and took a year out to think about what kind of career I wanted for myself. I am so close to my goal now but I feel as though I have wasted 2 years of my life.

My Fiance is in the marines. He joined straight from schol and has enjoyed his job for the past 7 years. He wasn't all that interested in getting a degree before but now he is doing an open university degree in Psychology. He never intended on being in the forces his whole life and now he is working his way to a degree.

They are just my personal experiences but if you want it that badly then go for it, I personally wouldn't wait 4 years to achieve my dreams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I just have to wait around now until I'm called up to training.
    Well done you !!!

RAFC told me the meeting to decide my fate is on Aug 5th so I should know about a week after that!

Any ideas when you will start training ?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by icklecathy)
    Well done you !!!

RAFC told me the meeting to decide my fate is on Aug 5th so I should know about a week after that!

Any ideas when you will start training ?
    not yet though I am on a 6 month list I've been told I could be called up at anytime. Quite exciting! But I'm keeping my options open, like doing an informal Army interview and going on the list to re-do my aptitude in 6 months

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, Ive never considered going into the RAF but more and more people keep telling me it's a great thing to do whilst your young.

Would you be able to offer some advice on what it's like and how to go about it?

What are the requirements for pilots and what roles other than pilots are available?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the info

sublime_envy, I phoned the AFCO a couple months back and was advised to apply for both if I wanted the highest chance; hopefully he knew what he was talking about lolz

Realistically, I'll consider myself *extremely* lucky to make transport stream. I'd be happy with that that, though ideally I'd prefer fast jet or helicopter. I hate being realistic, darnit! Although humanitarian aid relief - amongst other purposes - would be rewarding, and offer a great lifestyle - it's in the RAF! - it's just not quite the same, I guess. That said, I'd be chuffed with it.

andy.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by RyanW)
    Sorry, Ive never considered going into the RAF but more and more people keep telling me it's a great thing to do whilst your young.

Would you be able to offer some advice on what it's like and how to go about it?

What are the requirements for pilots and what roles other than pilots are available?

Thanks.
    If you see my first reply to this thread I ouline all the entry requirements. All pilots are officers. The RAF currently have around 75 different jobs from Administration to Intelligence. Each is varied and different. To find a complete list visit http://www.rafcareers.com/jobs/ where every job is listed, along with entry requirements.

Your first step would be to check out the website and then go into your local AFCO (Armed Force Careers Office) These offices are recruiting centres for the Navy, Army, and Air Force. Ask to speak with someone informally about joining the Air Force. Each person there has another trade that they do. For example Avionics so they will be able to offer advice to you. You will be given information and booklets to take away with you. Have a read of everything and then if you still want to go for it, ask if you can attend a presentation. These presentations are open to anyone and you are not under any obligation to 'sign the dotted line' if you go. They are informal and you will talk to an RAF person as well as watch videos and power point presentations as a group. If you then specify what area you are most interested in you will recieve in depth information on it, and if you are ready, an application pack to take away with you. If you decide to fill it in and return it, AFCO will then arrange for you to have a filter interview. These interviews vary depending on wether you are going for officer, trades, or Non-comission. From that point, each application process is different.

I hope that helps, let me know if you need anything else, or have any more questions.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by _pb_boi)
    Thanks for all the info

sublime_envy, I phoned the AFCO a couple months back and was advised to apply for both if I wanted the highest chance; hopefully he knew what he was talking about lolz

Realistically, I'll consider myself *extremely* lucky to make transport stream. I'd be happy with that that, though ideally I'd prefer fast jet or helicopter. I hate being realistic, darnit! Although humanitarian aid relief - amongst other purposes - would be rewarding, and offer a great lifestyle - it's in the RAF! - it's just not quite the same, I guess. That said, I'd be chuffed with it.

andy.
    anyone who wants to be a pilot is streamed first for fast jet and then if they can't do that they fall into rotary or muti engine. If it is what you really want to do then by all means go for it, just know it is harder to get past the recruiting stage for pilots than anything else in the RAF. It takes a lot of hardwork and dedication. I undersatnd wanting to be a pilot though. When I was 16, all I wanted to do was fly. I had wanted it since I knew what a plane was. But I thought about it and my goals changed. I looked more at the jobs behind the pilots, like Fighter Control who can end up controlling where pilots go in the first place.

Being transport isn't just about humanitarian aid however. You could end up being on a mission to drop troops over a war torn country and have to make a quick turnaround to avoid being blown out of the sky, you could be aboard a nimrod doing sea recconassiance in war or peacetime and gathering intellienge, or you could be doing training missions with the Army, or you could even end up taking some of the most important political leaders around the world. That's whats so good about the RAF, variety.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.