The Student Room Group

Government and Politics - 25 marker (AQA)

Voting at elections should only be seen as one way of measuring political participation. Discuss.

I have to write 6 paragraphs (3 agreeing and 3 disagreeing)

Here's what I've got so far

Agree
Under 18 year olds can't vote so their political participation is not accounted for
Non-electoral participation allows those who can't vote to participate so it should be considered as a way of measuring participation

Disagree
Voting is a formal way of measuring as ensure people can only vote once and prevents the abuse of voting (can create multiple accounts to sign petition). Accurate numbers - can be counted unlike other methods
Voting shows breakdown of ages whereas other methods don't

I'm not sure if my disagree points actually answer the question
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Also make sure you mention recent low turnout figures for agree. pressure groups and social media are good ones for non-electoral participation in agree.

For disagree Instead of just age I'd say race, age, class.
I'd also argue that we live in a representative democracy which requires us to vote, any other devices are just to influence those we have selected at elections.
I'd also mention voter apathy in disagree, since we live in a parliamentary democracy which is the centre of our political system, a decline in voters is a strong indication that political participation has taken a hit.

Sorry you've only had a response this late, I hope my answer is still of use to you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending