The Student Room Group

Runners knee

Recently I've been doing quite a lot of running (about 5 miles a day) but now my left knee is in agony when I've been running and even walking. I'm continuing to train as I have a race in December but should I be running. My friend says it's because I have such a low BMI (around 16). Is this true? Can I still exercise on my knee even excersise bike or step machine? I have had bad depression in the past and going to the gym is one of the only things which really help.
I had this when I started running. Rested for a week and it healed.
Original post by Hannahmay01
Recently I've been doing quite a lot of running (about 5 miles a day) but now my left knee is in agony when I've been running and even walking. I'm continuing to train as I have a race in December but should I be running. My friend says it's because I have such a low BMI (around 16). Is this true? Can I still exercise on my knee even excersise bike or step machine? I have had bad depression in the past and going to the gym is one of the only things which really help.

5 miles a day is a bit too much for a person who has just started training. You need time to recover, eat healthy including a lot of protein and then you will actually notice the benefits of doing so. I recommend a new schedule and if you must do 5 miles do it every other day. Just my opinion because you'll end up getting osgood schlatters or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
^^^

Solid advice

Nuff said
Original post by RossB1702
5 miles a day is a bit too much for a person who has just started training. You need time to recover, eat healthy including a lot of protein and then you will actually notice the benefits of doing so. I recommend a new schedule and if you must do 5 miles do it every other day. Just my opinion because you'll end up getting osgood schlatters or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! What is osgood schlatters?
Take a week rest, then come back doing a better routine

And eat more, BMI of 16 is way to thin
Original post by Hannahmay01
Thanks! What is osgood schlatters?

Osgood schlatters is actually considered a disease by it's just a long term leg injury which causes internal pain in the patella. It is caused by too much excessive impact with the pressure of running. I had it for 2 years it was unbearable at times. I was stupid I used to run every day and didn't take the time to recover and I eventually got it and had to miss football games, couldn't do PE In school etc. You need to start of lightly and if you feel your legs are being overworked it's because they are. Don't run everyday, run every other day and I recommend getting as comfortable trainers as you can, especially if you're flat footed like me. Do this and you probably won't get any injuries. Also make sure to drink plenty of water, eat protein and occasionally eat a sugary energy bar for energy. A banana half an hour before you run is also beneficial. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't train anymore but at my peak I could run the mile in less than 5 minutes. Will start back up eventually. Looking forward to it because I hit a growth spurt and are pushing 6ft, I used to 5ft5 when I could run the mile in that time. Hoping I'll be faster than before cause my stride length will be greater now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most knee injuries are caused by overtraining so you need to rest. Ignore these relatively minor issues at your peril, as if you do you'll have a lot more problems further down the line. It sounds simple but you need to stop doing things that are causing pain as you're just damaging it further.

I went down the "man up" route and ended up with patella tendinitis(Jumper's Knee) on and off for four years that got progressively worse. Eventually my right thigh was 6cm less in circumference than my left due to overcompensating and I had to do months of Physio and one legged squats to correct the muscle imbalance.

If using the bike doesn't hurt it then do that to maintain your fitness until you can run without pain again and then ease back into it slowly. Also stretch regularly as tight muscles can cause joint tracking issues. The root of my problem was tight hips and glutes pulling my
knee out of alignment rather than the knee itself.
Original post by JamesN88
Most knee injuries are caused by overtraining so you need to rest. Ignore these relatively minor issues at your peril, as if you do you'll have a lot more problems further down the line. It sounds simple but you need to stop doing things that are causing pain as you're just damaging it further.

I went down the "man up" route and ended up with patella tendinitis(Jumper's Knee) on and off for four years that got progressively worse. Eventually my right thigh was 6cm less in circumference than my left due to overcompensating and I had to do months of Physio and one legged squats to correct the muscle imbalance.

If using the bike doesn't hurt it then do that to maintain your fitness until you can run without pain again and then ease back into it slowly. Also stretch regularly as tight muscles can cause joint tracking issues. The root of my problem was tight hips and glutes pulling my
knee out of alignment rather than the knee itself.

Same I should have reduced my intensity of training as soon as my leg was feeling sore but I was too determined and genuinely loved running. Got osgood schlatters and couldn't do PE in school for a full year and only played 2/3 of the games with my football club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly, yes your low BMI might be making your condition worse. I suffered with runners knee while very underweight as well and my GP basically said my legs didn't have enough muscle to deal with the exercise I was doing. It wouldn't let up until I gained some weight but I've been fine ever since I got to a healthier weight. It's possible this doesn't apply to you if you're naturally thin and don't have any problems with food as I had quite pronounced muscle wastage but my guess from what your friend said is that your weight probably isn't healthy for you.

Secondly, to fix most running injuries you need time off for the problem to heal. You also need to try and fix the underlying issue - in my case this was weak quads, might be the same for you or might not. You'll do better to pick your training up in a few weeks when you're pain free than to keep going and make the injury worse - that will only leave you in pain during your race or having t take time off closer to the event.

finally, you say you're running 5 miles a day - it's much better to do different runs - some long, short, fast etc and take some rest days than to do the same thing continuously
Original post by Nichrome
Where is the location of the pain on your knee? Inside or outside? Does it start straight away or take a while? To be able to treat your knee properly it may be worth seeing a physio.

It's on the outside and it's like a burning pain but it only really hurts when I walk or run.

Quick Reply

Latest