Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This an actual billboard in america asking viewers to solve a puzzle. It took me a bit of time to do (WITHOUT CHEATING!!!!) but the results are very interesting. I'd like to see how people solved the entire puzzle, to compare methods.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    This an actual billboard in america asking viewers to solve a puzzle. It took me a bit of time to do (WITHOUT CHEATING!!!!) but the results are very interesting. I'd like to see how people solved the entire puzzle, to compare methods.

ReputationRep:
    solved the second puzzle yet then?

ReputationRep:
    god you lot suck:

why dont you try going to the website which the answer gives you, that 742763991.com (or whatever it is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    god you lot suck:

why dont you try going to the website which the answer gives you, that 742763991.com (or whatever it is)
    what r u on about?

ReputationRep:
    *cough* http://www.7427466391.com/ *cough*

Do as the billboard said you fool :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    *cough* http://www.7427466391.com/ *cough*

Do as the billboard said you fool :P

Wot eva :cool:

such crap

ReputationRep:
    How long does this go on for?

ReputationRep:
    well that's the glorious suprise of it all :P

no actually the second stage is unfortunately the last stage....shame really!

ReputationRep:
    if any you have solved either of the puzzles, can ya let us know how ya did it! - cos i think my method was kinda crap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    if any you have solved either of the puzzles, can ya let us know how ya did it! - cos i think my method was kinda crap!
    :eek: I hope it wasn't trial and error!

ReputationRep:
    effectively it was - but i got a computer to do the trialing for me :P

obviously I narrowed it down so that only 10 digit numbers ending in 1,3,7 or 9 were checked, and then i got it to check by dividing by all numbers from 3 to half the 10 digit number, and see if an integer result was obtained. I'm no good with prime number tricks, so couldnt really work it any better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    effectively it was - but i got a computer to do the trialing for me :P

obviously I narrowed it down so that only 10 digit numbers ending in 1,3,7 or 9 were checked, and then i got it to check by dividing by all numbers from 3 to half the 10 digit number, and see if an integer result was obtained. I'm no good with prime number tricks, so couldnt really work it any better.
    Yeah, that's what I was going to do. I don't see why there should be any other method to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    effectively it was - but i got a computer to do the trialing for me :P, ...
    Sounds like a reasonable idea

(Original post by Willa)
    ..... and then i got it to check by dividing by all numbers from 3 to half the 10 digit number, ...
    That should be the square root of the 10 digit number.

Also, since every number is (ultimately) divisible by primes, then you could have gotten a list of primes (stored in an array, or something) and used that to check if the number had factors.
    If the square root of the 10 digit number was greater than the greatest prime in your list, then thereafter divide only by numbers ending in 1,3 7,9.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done the second part yet? It looks like a sad quadratic with a turning point at e but i cant get much more than that. Tried looking on the web for a programme that finds quadratic formulae from a few x,y coordinates but no luck... Anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    it's not a quadratic mate.....look at f(4) - seem familiar!!!!!!

look for similarities between the different values!

ReputationRep:
    lol i totally dont get it, i've found all the f(x) values in the decimal string for e ( http://www.scienceparadise.com/math/...e/constants/e/ ) but other than that i have no idea what f(5) should be

ReputationRep:
    well you need to find what the similarity is beetween the different ten digit numbers. Look for patterns. I started off by looking at where they occur in the complete e number (ie. after who many digits do they start) and tried to find a pattern there. Just experiment, you'll find the link after a short time!

ReputationRep:
    :confused: is whatever the 'prize' in that linux site even worth me getting frustrated over this???

ReputationRep:
    yes the prize is fantabulous

but it's your decision as to whether you want to let a little maths puzzle defeat you or not. My little brother managed to solve it and he's only 14!

Hint: Addition

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 30, 2004

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.