Turn on thread page Beta

A level Psychology - Dont trust teacher - Can someone Mark for me? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so this is my Schizophrenia essay for BIOLOGICAL EXPLANATIONS, I don't trust her marking so was looking for a second opinion, thanks!

Discuss Biological Explanations for Schizophrenia [16]

Biological explanations include genetics, the dopamine hypothesis and neural correlates.

The genetic explanation states that schizophrenia is caused by the inheritance of genes linked to the disorder (candidate genes). Family history of schizophrenia must therefore be present.

Gottesman studied 40 twin studies to see if there were any links between genes and schizophrenia. He used both monozygotic twins (Sharing identical genes) and dizygotic twins (share similar genes but not identical, siblings for example). There was a 48% concordance rate with MZ twins and a 17% concordance rate with DZ twins. He concluded that genes do influence schizophrenia development.

Supporting evidence comes from Shields who found that 7 out of 12 monozygotic pairs of twins reared in different families still developed schizophrenia. This supports the genetic explanation of schizophrenia as it means genes can have an influence even when environmental factors differ.

However, Tienari's study pf adopted children before the age of 4 who had a biological mother with schizophrenia showed that none of the children brought up in a healthy family developed schizophrenia even though they were genetically vulnerable suggesting that genetics may not directly cause schizophrenia.

This would explain only 48% concordance rate for MZ twins rather than 100% - rendering the genetic explanation deterministic as it ignores family dysfunction as an explanation.

Thr dopamine hypothesis states that an excess of dopamine in the mesolimbic pathway may cause the positive symptoms of schizophrenia. It also states that D2 receptors on the synapse are overactive causing these positive symptoms.

The dopamine hypothesis is rooted in biology therefore is based on objective, scientific method which means there is no interpretation needed to suggest what might be causing schizophrenia (like cognitive or family explanations).

The downside is that the research shows a correlation and not a definitive cause and effect relationship.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE MARK THIS, AO1 MARKS MAKE UP 6 AND AO3 MARKS MAKE UP 10. Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rigby16)
    Okay so this is my Schizophrenia essay for BIOLOGICAL EXPLANATIONS, I don't trust her marking so was looking for a second opinion, thanks!

Discuss Biological Explanations for Schizophrenia [16]

Biological explanations include genetics, the dopamine hypothesis and neural correlates.

The genetic explanation states that schizophrenia is caused by the inheritance of genes linked to the disorder (candidate genes). Family history of schizophrenia must therefore be present.

Gottesman studied 40 twin studies to see if there were any links between genes and schizophrenia. He used both monozygotic twins (Sharing identical genes) and dizygotic twins (share similar genes but not identical, siblings for example). There was a 48% concordance rate with MZ twins and a 17% concordance rate with DZ twins. He concluded that genes do influence schizophrenia development.

Supporting evidence comes from Shields who found that 7 out of 12 monozygotic pairs of twins reared in different families still developed schizophrenia. This supports the genetic explanation of schizophrenia as it means genes can have an influence even when environmental factors differ.

However, Tienari's study pf adopted children before the age of 4 who had a biological mother with schizophrenia showed that none of the children brought up in a healthy family developed schizophrenia even though they were genetically vulnerable suggesting that genetics may not directly cause schizophrenia.

This would explain only 48% concordance rate for MZ twins rather than 100% - rendering the genetic explanation deterministic as it ignores family dysfunction as an explanation.

Thr dopamine hypothesis states that an excess of dopamine in the mesolimbic pathway may cause the positive symptoms of schizophrenia. It also states that D2 receptors on the synapse are overactive causing these positive symptoms.

The dopamine hypothesis is rooted in biology therefore is based on objective, scientific method which means there is no interpretation needed to suggest what might be causing schizophrenia (like cognitive or family explanations).

The downside is that the research shows a correlation and not a definitive cause and effect relationship.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE MARK THIS, AO1 MARKS MAKE UP 6 AND AO3 MARKS MAKE UP 10. Thanks
    Can't mark it but can give you some pointers (got A* at A-level with 100% at A2, psychology undergrad at UCL and now MSc in clinical psychology)

- Too short for 16 marks
    - Explain why twin studies are used i.e. to separate nature and nurture in its simplest form and in more advanced (to get your A03 marks) for gene-environment interaction
    - You need an introduction stating what you will discuss and what you will conclude not just a sentence
    - You jump from evidence to sweeping statements, try to be a bit more fair such as 'suggests that' 'gives evidence for certain claims that'
    - Link back to the title so you claim adopted study shows no genetic link, then say something about how a pure genetic basis of sz is false and perhaps an interactionist approach is best (nature and nurture)
    - 48% is quite a lot of heritability for a disorder that has 1% chance of occuring when genetic factors are ignored. Don't just claim because it's not 100% it's a useless theory - again - interactionist approach of gene and environment
    - Give evidence for the dopamine hypothesis, maybe some animal studies and then question their methodology for some A03 points
    - Correlation not causation is a good point
    -Your science point is totally false. That's not how science works by completely disregarding opposite ideas, they integrate (for more look into Hegel's diathesis model)

It's good. It's very AS level where you make sweeping statements and don't evaluate your points enough. Let me know if you want any more help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Can't mark it but can give you some pointers (got A* at A-level with 100% at A2, psychology undergrad at UCL and now MSc in clinical psychology)

- Too short for 16 marks
    - Explain why twin studies are used i.e. to separate nature and nurture in its simplest form and in more advanced (to get your A03 marks) for gene-environment interaction
    - You need an introduction stating what you will discuss and what you will conclude not just a sentence
    - You jump from evidence to sweeping statements, try to be a bit more fair such as 'suggests that' 'gives evidence for certain claims that'
    - Link back to the title so you claim adopted study shows no genetic link, then say something about how a pure genetic basis of sz is false and perhaps an interactionist approach is best (nature and nurture)
    - 48% is quite a lot of heritability for a disorder that has 1% chance of occuring when genetic factors are ignored. Don't just claim because it's not 100% it's a useless theory - again - interactionist approach of gene and environment
    - Give evidence for the dopamine hypothesis, maybe some animal studies and then question their methodology for some A03 points
    - Correlation not causation is a good point
    -Your science point is totally false. That's not how science works by completely disregarding opposite ideas, they integrate (for more look into Hegel's diathesis model)

It's good. It's very AS level where you make sweeping statements and don't evaluate your points enough. Let me know if you want any more help
    Thank-you so much for the reply! She awarded me 7/16 for the essay which i don't entirely agree with as 6/16 marks were for AO1 and that'd mean i only achieved 2 AO3 marks? When you put the points down i can see how my essay is very basic so it does need improving.

Just about the last point of objectivity and scientific method, my AS teacher gave us this evaluation point for the biological approach of OCD and said it was credit worthy?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rigby16)
    Thank-you so much for the reply! She awarded me 7/16 for the essay which i don't entirely agree with as 6/16 marks were for AO1 and that'd mean i only achieved 2 AO3 marks? When you put the points down i can see how my essay is very basic so it does need improving.

Just about the last point of objectivity and scientific method, my AS teacher gave us this evaluation point for the biological approach of OCD and said it was credit worthy?
    It is true for a purely biological approach. But not only is that very rare nowadays, but also different to the scientific method which which can be account for environmental, cognitive, and societal approaches.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 1, 2016
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.