Turn on thread page Beta

I want to build muscle, please help. watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and weigh 180 pounds. I have some muscle because I do push ups often during my Kung Fu classes.

I want to gain more muscle on my arms so I want to my dumbbells for working out at home but I don't know what size dumbbells I should get? When i look on ebay all the ones that you can buy in a set (like in 3 pairs you get 1,2 and 3kg ones). But I don't know what size would be best for me. I don't want to get too big, I just want lean muscle on my arms.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    180 pounds sounds good. How tall?

I'm no expert but clearly you need to progress through the weights to get the results you want. Ideally you would join a gym to have access to a greater variety.

Maybe start with 10kg and build up from there. Bear in mind that you will probably reduce the weight during your workout as you get fatigued.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira Yagami)
    I'm 19 and weigh 180 pounds. I have some muscle because I do push ups often during my Kung Fu classes.

I want to gain more muscle on my arms so I want to my dumbbells for working out at home but I don't know what size dumbbells I should get? When i look on ebay all the ones that you can buy in a set (like in 3 pairs you get 1,2 and 3kg ones). But I don't know what size would be best for me. I don't want to get too big, I just want lean muscle on my arms.

Thanks!
    I'm sorry but weights of up to 3kg will do little for your body, if at all. Ideally you would need to join a gym and jump on a beginners program or at least invest in some decent weights for home use. Also, read the FAQ, it's wonderful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you go to GYM right now?

ReputationRep:
    Its best to simply go gym TBH
    If you want to build muscle and follow a bodybuilding program, get good sleep and eat properly.

That's it really

ReputationRep:
    3kg will be great for doing your rotator cuffs

ReputationRep:
    For curls try 16kg dumbbells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citibankrec)
    For curls try 16kg dumbbells.
    Why 16kg precisely?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    Why 16kg precisely?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    8-10 reps 5 sets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citibankrec)
    8-10 reps 5 sets
    Can everyone do 8-10 reps for 5 sets with 16kg? Do you just keep doing it with 16kg until you get the desired gains?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Can everyone do 8-10 reps for 5 sets with 16kg? Do you just keep doing it with 16kg until you get the desired gains?

Didnt u know 16kg is the magic number , you get ronnie gains if you do 16kg for each compound movement everything for 16 reps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    Didnt u know 16kg is the magic number , you get ronnie gains if you do 16kg for each compound movement everything for 16 reps.
    Interesting, I've been stuck at about 10kg. Next session I'll give 16 a go, sounds like it'll sort it

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.