Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    The ELAT is dawning upon us quickly and I was just wondering how specific our thesis should be. My English courses have always taught me to write a specific thesis, outlining the techniques the author used and how their effects help convey the commentary made in the texts we are analyzing. However, looking at sample papers from previous years, the thesis statement is nothing like this. I would say it's much simpler. Are the theses in the sample papers an accurate representation of what the examiners are looking for? Or is it all right to write a more detailed, complicated thesis?

Also, do you have any recommendations on how to structure our paragraphs? Should one paragraph be allocated to one technique and explore how that one technique helps with the discussions in the text?

Thanks~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaa.aol)
    Hey!
    The ELAT is dawning upon us quickly and I was just wondering how specific our thesis should be. My English courses have always taught me to write a specific thesis, outlining the techniques the author used and how their effects help convey the commentary made in the texts we are analyzing. However, looking at sample papers from previous years, the thesis statement is nothing like this. I would say it's much simpler. Are the theses in the sample papers an accurate representation of what the examiners are looking for? Or is it all right to write a more detailed, complicated thesis?

Also, do you have any recommendations on how to structure our paragraphs? Should one paragraph be allocated to one technique and explore how that one technique helps with the discussions in the text?

Thanks~
    Where did you get sample answers? I haven't been able to find any

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie_rhia_x)
    Where did you get sample answers? I haven't been able to find any
    http://www.admissionstestingservice....ring-for-elat/

They're under 'ELAT Past Paper 2015 sample essays with examiner comments'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesporkthief)
    http://www.admissionstestingservice....ring-for-elat/

They're under 'ELAT Past Paper 2015 sample essays with examiner comments'
    Thank you so much!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.