Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am planning in continuing may MSc in either of these three universities. Has anyone here has experience in studying in these universities (University of Aberdeen, Robert Gordon University, Herriot-Watt)? I've been reading previous posts here in the forums and my idea right now are these: Please do clear them up for me if I am wrong.

Aberdeen: I've read that the Petroleum department there have lectures who has personal issues and it affects the performances of the students. I've read that lecturers there also do not have industry experience.

Robert Gordon University: I haven't read much except that they boast a 97% employability rate.

Herriot-Watt: Best reviews among the three. People had generally good experiences here and they are widely accredited.

I've came from a non-academically inclined university. The academic culture was very unhealthy and the lecturers have ZERO industry experience, not even passion for the maths and sciences. Straight up memorization and problem sets. So this time, I'm really doing my research. Please share any experiences you had, good and bad.

Thanks every one! Happy Halloween!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Ok so there are a few things to think about here:
    Lecturers are people so will have personal issues no matter where they are! I'm not sure where you got the info from but it may be worth thinking about whether this was one person saying this or several and what the issues were.
    An employability rate is of less importance than what grads go on to do so it may be worth contacting the uni to check.
    Accreditation: do you need this and if so you need to be checking everywhere for it.
    Industry experience: again why do lecturers who are teaching you and doing research need industry experience? What you should be looking for is whether you can get some (if it's where you want to end up).
    I'm not sure what you mean by an unhealthy academic culture. Different degrees and unis will have different teaching styles so you need to check that out.

ReputationRep:
    I am at RGU studying a energy MSc course.

There is a huge emphasis on oil, gas and energy here at RGU. Oil rigs models are based around the campus to remind you of the industry and the library is full of north sea industry / renewable energy books.

There is a RGU Society of Petroleum Engineers chapter here and they provide networking events.

There is the obvious rivalry between RGU and ABDN. RGU puts the case that it is not as academic and is more vocational.

The campus is great and relaxed with good facilities - gym, societies, subway and costa. The city of Aberdeen is nice and relaxing and plenty to do here as it has the city status and everyone is friendly because the miss out on all the complexities of british life because it is tucked up in the corner.

The lecturers are really enthusiastic and know a lot about oil and energy.

So give RGU some consideration! I recommend it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.