Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so yes I have left it a little late and I have been stuck in a dead end job in retail since leaving college but I still have many years of work left in me. Rumour has it that redundancies are on the cards, so this has given me the push to look at my options. I have always thought about going to uni but I have never pursued it and I've never known what I want to study. I got half decent grades when I went to school and I left college with two merits and a pass in music practise in 2007, 10 years ago. So with me being a bit out of the game I literally have no idea where to start. Just on initial browsing social care and criminology interest me. I am also still really passionate about singing hence the music practise course. My current job is in beauty so make up is also of interest. Any advice you can give for, basically a beginner would be really appreciated. Who to contact? How to apply? Cost? Advice on course's? I just don't know where to start. I also have a little girl, so I would need to make this work around her.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kateston)
    Ok so yes I have left it a little late and I have been stuck in a dead end job in retail since leaving college but I still have many years of work left in me. Rumour has it that redundancies are on the cards, so this has given me the push to look at my options. I have always thought about going to uni but I have never pursued it and I've never known what I want to study. I got half decent grades when I went to school and I left college with two merits and a pass in music practise in 2007, 10 years ago. So with me being a bit out of the game I literally have no idea where to start. Just on initial browsing social care and criminology interest me. I am also still really passionate about singing hence the music practise course. My current job is in beauty so make up is also of interest. Any advice you can give for, basically a beginner would be really appreciated. Who to contact? How to apply? Cost? Advice on course's? I just don't know where to start. I also have a little girl, so I would need to make this work around her.
    You make all applications through UCAS. At the moment, it costs £13 to apply to one course, or £24 to apply for more than one. The maximum number you can apply to is 5 (although there are options if you get all rejections).

You'll want to look at Student Finance. You will be eligible for a loan to fund your studies, but it might not be as much as you're used to. Many students do have to work part time alongside their studies. You'll have a while before you start so might want to do a lot of overtime and save up. The tuition fees are around £9000 a year, although you do get another loan to cover these.

You need to think about what you want to do afterwards. If you're considering make up and singing then a degree may not be the best route. You might find you're just wasting a lot of money and come out with no better employment prospects.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.