• Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    ^^
    We're moving this week so need to try and fix any issues that cause deposit deductions, and although there were a couple of nail holes when we moved in, i was a bit overzealous with a hammer so i've added to that slightly so want some suggestions to fill these holes ideally so its not very noticeable it ever happened.

The walls aren't perfectly painted but i think once filled i could easily get a magnolia tester to cover up whatever i fill them with.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    ^^
    We're moving this week so need to try and fix any issues that cause deposit deductions, and although there were a couple of nail holes when we moved in, i was a bit overzealous with a hammer so i've added to that slightly so want some suggestions to fill these holes ideally so its not very noticeable it ever happened.

The walls aren't perfectly painted but i think once filled i could easily get a magnolia tester to cover up whatever i fill them with.
    Just some filler and then the tester. You should pick some up at poundland. Shoild be fine.

ReputationRep:
    ^^

If the holes aren't too deep, use 'fine surface' polyfilla. It's available ready made up, and you'll need a flexible filling knife. It dries to a slightly off-white colour anyway and so long as you are neat in filling and smoothing the hole it should be barely perceptible in a magnolia wall. For a perfect job, fill the hole slightly proud of the surface - it will shrink as it dries and you can then use fine abrasive paper to sand it to a perfectly flat finish (you need to be careful not to sand paint off the adjacent surface to the filler if you do it this way) As you say, you can touch in the filler with the right colour paint if necessary (sometimes in rental properties there is a tin or two of the paint used on the walls in a garage or something - if you're lucky!_

ReputationRep:
    If the walls are white, just use toothpaste, no-one will ever know
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Just some filler and then the tester. You should pick some up at poundland. Shoild be fine.
    Thank you

(Original post by Reality Check)
    If the holes aren't too deep, use 'fine surface' polyfilla. It's available ready made up, and you'll need a flexible filling knife. It dries to a slightly off-white colour anyway and so long as you are neat in filling and smoothing the hole it should be barely perceptible in a magnolia wall. As you say, you can touch in the filler with the right colour paint if necessary (sometimes in rental properties there is a tin or two of the paint used on the walls in a garage or something - if you're lucky!_
    At a guess, the holes are about an inch deep. There is some paint under the kitchen sink but its at least 18 months old so not sure if it's still any use.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    If the walls are white, just use toothpaste, no-one will ever know
    surely they d smell the minty freshness?:P The flat did has some cosmetic issues when we moved in (there's even a small hole in one of the walls:P) so i suppose as long as it's not too visible we should be okay

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

At a guess, the holes are about an inch deep. There is some paint under the kitchen sink but its at least 18 months old so not sure if it's still any use.
    You might be better off with regular polyfilla then if the holes are that deep - the finish won't be as smooth but if the wall are slightly irregular anyway that shouldn't matter too much.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    You might be better off with regular polyfilla then if the holes are that deep - the finish won't be as smooth but if the wall are slightly irregular anyway that shouldn't matter too much.
    I ll get some of that then, yes the walls are far from pristine so it shouldnt be an issue

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.