Turn on thread page Beta

Annoyed! Being messed around :mad: watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ive been looking for a new car for a few weeks now, yesterday me and my dad went to look at another one. He used to be a mechanic so I took him with me to make sure it was running well and there were no faults mechanically.

After a thorough inspection of the car inside and out, a test drive and inspection of all the relevant documentation me and my dad decided that it was a good buy and that I wanted it.

We spoke to the seller (was a private sale, not a dealership) made it clear we were eager to buy the car, managed to get the price knocked down a bit and that was that.

The guy agreed on the price, said he would remove the ad from the website and said we could have the car. The agreement was that my dad would bring over the deposit tonight as he didnt have any money on him at the time. The guy was fine with this shook my dads hand on it and we left.

Tonight my dad went back to the guys house, took the deposit only for the guy to say that he had changed his mind and not only wanted the full asking price but more :eek:

My dad told him where to go basically because the guy was messing us around, so we decided to leave it there and not persue this car anymore.
    Although im really annoyed at being messed around. I know nothing was final as we hadnt actually left a deposit but we had made a verbal agreement and cancelled viewings of other cars because this one was everything we had been looking for :mad:

I dont really have any idea why im posting this, im just annoyed and frustrated because after agreeing on everything, arranging the deposit and to collect the car on Monday I had set my heart on it

Why do people have to be such tits? He could probably tell we were really keen on it and was hoping to get some more money out of us, but grrr anyway.

Anyone else been messed around in the past?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't (but I haven't bought any cars myself yet ), but a few friends of mine have, in a way similar to yours. These things just happen - they are annoying, but not the end of the world. The next car you'll find will probably be even better - good luck!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Thats such a shame but i guess thats what its like with private sales. Just keep looking.. the right car will turn up!

ReputationRep:
    I punched the guy who did it to me in the throat, then drove the car over him.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the world of used cars. My Dad's been messed around a few times (when selling) and has been trying to sell one of his cars for months (though recently apathy has set in, and I get the feeing he wants to keep it really!)

It sucks, but happens to us all unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedotcom)
    Ive been looking for a new car for a few weeks now, yesterday me and my dad went to look at another one. He used to be a mechanic so I took him with me to make sure it was running well and there were no faults mechanically.

After a thorough inspection of the car inside and out, a test drive and inspection of all the relevant documentation me and my dad decided that it was a good buy and that I wanted it.

We spoke to the seller (was a private sale, not a dealership) made it clear we were eager to buy the car, managed to get the price knocked down a bit and that was that.

The guy agreed on the price, said he would remove the ad from the website and said we could have the car. The agreement was that my dad would bring over the deposit tonight as he didnt have any money on him at the time. The guy was fine with this shook my dads hand on it and we left.

Tonight my dad went back to the guys house, took the deposit only for the guy to say that he had changed his mind and not only wanted the full asking price but more :eek:

My dad told him where to go basically because the guy was messing us around, so we decided to leave it there and not persue this car anymore.
    Although im really annoyed at being messed around. I know nothing was final as we hadnt actually left a deposit but we had made a verbal agreement and cancelled viewings of other cars because this one was everything we had been looking for :mad:

I dont really have any idea why im posting this, im just annoyed and frustrated because after agreeing on everything, arranging the deposit and to collect the car on Monday I had set my heart on it

Why do people have to be such tits? He could probably tell we were really keen on it and was hoping to get some more money out of us, but grrr anyway.

Anyone else been messed around in the past?
    No.

Anybody with any sense would of paid the price when he agreed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It's up to the seller obviously.

But, as you shook hands it is a bit sneaky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stubo)
    No.

Anybody with any sense would of paid the price when he agreed anyway.

Yeah
    Because anyone with any sense would carry around almost £3000 in cash with them and take it to a complete strangers house without having any idea what the car they are looking at may be like. Thats a bloody good idea that, why didnt I think of it! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    if you're viewing a car always take £50 to leave as a deposit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    if you're viewing a car always take £50 to leave as a deposit.
    Did that today
    Picking up my new car on Tuesday!

ReputationRep:
    And with all this pressure it is so hard to actually inspect cars fully. When I bought my Fiesta so many people kept turning up to look at it in the end I said I would just buy it.

I will know on Monday when my mechanic checks out the slight over heating problem if I have bought a shed or not. My car was £850 ono but the way it was going it would have been a bidding war so I quickly paid £850 before other buyers starting offering more.

Car buying is so stressful especially if its popular small cars, unpopular cars are probably much easier to buy as it is a buyers market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    unpopular cars are probably much easier to buy as it is a buyers market.
    Although it does make resale somewhat harder... Unless you buy something that becomes cool before you're ready to sell it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedotcom)
    Yeah
    Because anyone with any sense would carry around almost £3000 in cash with them and take it to a complete strangers house without having any idea what the car they are looking at may be like. Thats a bloody good idea that, why didnt I think of it! :rolleyes:
    I would, lol. Depending on the situation.

I have been involved in a few deals and everyone of the sellers were ok. Maybe someone offered him more after you or something.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, wait til your trying to sell something and the ***** who buys it cancells a £400 cheque, starts making up problems from day one despite viewing the item for over an hour before buying and even has the cheek to write in a letter to my soliciter that she belived the boat wasnt even mine to sell.

Your problems, my friend, are reletivly small!

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying for a month to sell my car, and have been mucked around so many times. I have had about 15 emails, after advertising on autotrader, all written in really bad english, along the lines of "i will like to buy your car. i will send bankers draft and then my shipping company will pick it up", which I know is a scam. I have had one guy offer to buy my car (he clearly doesn't speak english) without even viewing it, and then he mentioned shipping companies (which are nearly always a scam). I told him i wasn't happy with this, and he's now accused me of banking his cheque (which I never even got). And i've waited in for hours for people who say they are coming to see my car, and then they don't turn up. I don't know why I can't sell it, its not overpriced or anything, and i need to sell it before i go to uni in 3 weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_f_x)
    I've been trying for a month to sell my car, and have been mucked around so many times. I have had about 15 emails, after advertising on autotrader, all written in really bad english, along the lines of "i will like to buy your car. i will send bankers draft and then my shipping company will pick it up", which I know is a scam. I have had one guy offer to buy my car (he clearly doesn't speak english) without even viewing it, and then he mentioned shipping companies (which are nearly always a scam). I told him i wasn't happy with this, and he's now accused me of banking his cheque (which I never even got). And i've waited in for hours for people who say they are coming to see my car, and then they don't turn up. I don't know why I can't sell it, its not overpriced or anything, and i need to sell it before i go to uni in 3 weeks
    Ebay?
    Take it to a used car dealership?

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.