The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2017 (2018 entry)

Hey everybody,

I started the 2017 entry thread for GAMSAT last year, took the exam in March and got piss poor results. I have with reluctance decided to give it a go again for March next year.

I've included the GAMSAT booklet for 2016, they don't have a 2017 one yet.
Registration for March 2017 should open early this month and close February 2nd. Test date will be March 25th.

As everyone who wants to take this exam should know there are 3 sections and starting revision as soon as possible is advisable.

I have been a bit out of the loop since I last took the exam, as I was more invested in my course and getting a job, so if there have been any changes in the entrance exams or GEM in general please inform me.

Good luck to all!

https://gamsat.acer.edu.au/files/GAMSAT_Information_Booklet.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Second time for me too! My first results were terrible and I was too unwell to go to my UKCAT. Not yet started revision yet, but at least I have a better idea of what to study now :smile:
Reply 2
@KoalaBoar aww sorry about the UKCAT. I've not started revision either but have a few practice exams that I'm going to use for revision.

GAMSAT registration has opened and I've included the 2017 booklet below:

https://gamsat.acer.edu.au/files/GAMSAT_Information_Booklet.pdf
Reply 3
Here we go again. Aiming to do the exam in March. My first attempt a couple of months ago produced 50/56/42 :colondollar:

I might need a miracle.
Second time taking it for me - I got 60/69/39 in September. If anyone has any tips on how I can (massively) improve on section 3 I would be very grateful! I don't have a science background - was thinking I could go back to basics with GCSE bitesize? :s-smilie:
Good luck to everyone in March!

Original post by dr_2b
Here we go again. Aiming to do the exam in March. My first attempt a couple of months ago produced 50/56/42 :colondollar:

I might need a miracle.
Reply 5
Non science background here too. I'm going to do that too for chemistry and physics. I'll stick to the biology notes I took for the Sep exam.
I also need to look at the practice papers from acer. I didn't open them for the sep exam so hopefully those + gcse and a level revision should help.

Well done on your s1 and s2. I need to start reading stuff to improve my s1.
Original post by dr_2b
Non science background here too. I'm going to do that too for chemistry and physics. I'll stick to the biology notes I took for the Sep exam.
I also need to look at the practice papers from acer. I didn't open them for the sep exam so hopefully those + gcse and a level revision should help.

Well done on your s1 and s2. I need to start reading stuff to improve my s1.

yeah that sounds like a good plan, I think the biology content was more about looking at data rather than specific content (at least from what I remember). The practice papers were actually quite helpful - I'm going to learn as much as possible before I try them again.

Thank you - my advice would be to learn quotes from specific books/studies you find interesting, and then you can shape any essay around those really - oh and for s1 don't overthink, I think that's what I did!
Reply 7
Original post by medscoolhopeful
Second time taking it for me - I got 60/69/39 in September. If anyone has any tips on how I can (massively) improve on section 3 I would be very grateful! I don't have a science background - was thinking I could go back to basics with GCSE bitesize? :s-smilie:
Good luck to everyone in March!

I do come from a science background and still couldnt get higher than 50s in any of the sections. I do have past papers that I unwisely didnt revise from (I did minimal revision) so hoping to work on those from xmas onwards.

BTW those are amazing s1 and s2 results
Original post by PintoBeans
I do come from a science background and still couldnt get higher than 50s in any of the sections. I do have past papers that I unwisely didnt revise from (I did minimal revision) so hoping to work on those from xmas onwards.

BTW those are amazing s1 and s2 results

That's so disheartening - why is s3 a struggle for people even from science backgrounds? I know it's useless complaining and we just have to try harder next time, but still..

Just noticed I made a mistake on my post (was so tired this morning) it was my first time sitting in September this year. Thank you! Hoping I can strip it back to basics for s3 and get above 50. Good luck with your revision, I have faith with practice we will get there! Will post any useful resources as and when I come across them.
Hello everybody!
I'm planning to sit the gamsat again in march. Hopefully it will be the last time . This time I am motivated to study. My September results were awful ( 45, 54, 38). I did sat it in September 2015 as well (70,72,49). I did gave birth one week prior sitting gamsat this September, i arrived late for the exam but i have been allowed to sit as the exam didn't start yet. I also had mastitis as milk build up heavily in my Breast and they were rock hard. So i was in pain during the exam. It was awful. I didn't even wanted to go, i only sat it because i already paid for it and it was too late to request refund.
Hopefully I will be able to get a good enough score this march as this exam is really expensive.
Good luck to everybody :smile:
Reply 10
Am I the only one who is desperate to see the rejections so I can finally have "closure"? I initially got my hopes high when Sgul didn't send me a rejection and I've been checking my email all day for a rejection and not yet.

I know it's weird to wait for a rejection but it'll help me focus on the March exam :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by dr_2b
Am I the only one who is desperate to see the rejections so I can finally have "closure"? I initially got my hopes high when Sgul didn't send me a rejection and I've been checking my email all day for a rejection and not yet.

I know it's weird to wait for a rejection but it'll help me focus on the March exam :smile:

Me too!! After not receiving one I got my hopes up so my results were a smack in the face!!
Reply 12
Back to revising for this deathly exam for me!! I scored shockingly with 51, 65, 39! I HATE S3!!
I am going to commence revision now and work so much harder than I did for September one! S1 was annoying though as I don't think the practice materials reflected the actual exam as I found the exam so much harder (I hadn't scored below 65% in all of the practices!!)

I am so sad that it's my life on hold for another year!! But I am going to cheer myself up with new stationary for my revision :-D
I need new stationery too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Just seen my results too guys. Not too happy either. 50/65/46. Section 3☹... Spent 10 mins on one question pretty early on then started panicking. Very stupid! Ah well. Back to revision. First attempt though so...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Just saw this thread and it makes me feel a lot better about retaking this exam. It was the first time in September and I'm absolutely gutted. These two days have been depressing hopefully I can get out of this flunk so I can begin revision for March! Honestly, the exam didn't feel like the past papers as in it didn't require any rev! Frustrating as a science student arghhh.
I'm in two minds whether to sit the GAMSAT in march. I considered sitting it in 2015 but as I was doing my degree too I couldn't commit to the studying. I have a 1st class degree in biomedical science so I'm hoping that section 3 wouldn't be too much of a struggle for me. I'm most concerned with section 2 and the essay writing. Is the exam as bad as you think it's going to be? Any tips or materials? I have the gold standard book.

I haven't been rejected from any Uni's in this cycle so far (applied to UKCAT unis) but I'm preparing myself in case!!
Original post by prinsella
Hello everybody!
I'm planning to sit the gamsat again in march. Hopefully it will be the last time . This time I am motivated to study. My September results were awful ( 45, 54, 38). I did sat it in September 2015 as well (70,72,49). I did gave birth one week prior sitting gamsat this September, i arrived late for the exam but i have been allowed to sit as the exam didn't start yet. I also had mastitis as milk build up heavily in my Breast and they were rock hard. So i was in pain during the exam. It was awful. I didn't even wanted to go, i only sat it because i already paid for it and it was too late to request refund.
Hopefully I will be able to get a good enough score this march as this exam is really expensive.
Good luck to everybody :smile:

Have you thought about Irish medical schools? I know someone who got in with 58 overall. Your Sept 2015 results should still be valid for sept 2017 in Ireland
Original post by sanity2016
Have you thought about Irish medical schools? I know someone who got in with 58 overall. Your Sept 2015 results should still be valid for sept 2017 in Ireland

Thank you. I actually never thought to apply in Ireland, I have never looked at their entry requirements. I will check this out now :smile: but is it not too late to apply now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by prinsella
Thank you. I actually never thought to apply in Ireland, I have never looked at their entry requirements. I will check this out now :smile: but is it not too late to apply now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The deadline for Ireland is February.