Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi there, i am a third year student nurse (adult nursing) who is embarking upon the dreaded dissertation. I have absolutely NO idea on what topic to choose at all. i have a few key areas in which i enjoy and these are sexual health field or all things theatre related. any advice on a title for my dissertation within these key areas would be massively appreciated. i am getting so stressed out. No amount of reading i have done has thrown up any definitive answers for me yet, my title should have been submitted for review by my lecturers three weeks ago :rolleyes: any help at all would be gratefully received.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by lilliebuddie48)
    hi there, i am a third year student nurse (adult nursing) who is embarking upon the dreaded dissertation. I have absolutely NO idea on what topic to choose at all. i have a few key areas in which i enjoy and these are sexual health field or all things theatre related. any advice on a title for my dissertation within these key areas would be massively appreciated. i am getting so stressed out. No amount of reading i have done has thrown up any definitive answers for me yet, my title should have been submitted for review by my lecturers three weeks ago :rolleyes: any help at all would be gratefully received.
    No one can really give you a title - it's your dissertation and we can't tell you what you're interested in. It is very hard if not impossible to write a dissertation on a topic you don't feel passionate about so it really does need to be something you come up with on your own if you want to achieve high marks.

Think back to your placements and particular things that have interested you. Consider both positive and negative experiences you have had. Consider the different tools and innovations you've used in practice. Think about common (or even more unusual) problems faced by patients that you care about and look for evidence of solutions. All nurses have experiences that stick with them for whatever reason - these are the ideal ones to use for this sort of piece of work.

ReputationRep:
    I know that this is a late reply but I agree with what Charlotte has said. When I was doing my dissertation I struggled on a topic at first as I didn't really have a burning passion for any particular speciality such as cardiology, oncology etc. as I wanted to work in Gen Med or DME when I qualified. I thought back to some of my placements and thought about things I did with patients that made a difference or things that we could do better in practice. I then made an observation that when many elderly patients with dementia or delirium became distressed, a lot of staff didn't really know how to talk to them to calm them down. They often resorted in using sedation before using any diversional methods or therapies. As a student I often had a bit more time to speak to the patient, hold their hand and help soothe them and noticed that they did settle a little, compared to them being repeatedly told to sit down every 2 minutes which just distresses them even more. So I decided to explore using diversional therapies to reduce challenging behaviour and I am not ashamed to say that I actually enjoyed writing it as it was so interesting. It also impressed people when I told them what I wrote my dissertation on and voila, I bagged a job in DME and 4.5 years later I am still there

There are other broad topics to explore such as infection control, ANTT, moving and handling etc. Nursing is so broad so I am sure you will find something really interesting to write

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.