The Student Room Group

Do you have any allergies?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by claireestelle
I guess penicillin you can easily avoid, but it must be annoying to have to use other painkillers. I won't go sending you a glitter envelope then,did you discover that doing art as a kid?

Yeah, I use naproxen mostly now.

Actually, no. Discovered it from a t-shirt I wore when I was a kid. It had glitter strips on it, and I broke out in striped rashes all across my stomach.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Yeah, I did go wheat free for a while but it was super expensive back then, and there wasn't much out there. That was about 10 years ago though. With the antibiotics, it can be a pain when only a few will treat a certain thing and it means having to prescribe one they don't like to, but I can usually get around it. I was on one for 6 months once and I was so so ill on it, but it was the only one that could be used, so I had to have a really low dose and just keep seeing the doctor for checkups. That one wasn't fun :laugh:

I guess you never realise how much wheat is in everything until you try to go without. I imagine that wasn't fun at all, one day the drug companies will invent an antibiotic that works for all bacterial infections that doesn't make anyone ill.
No luck with antihistamines and steroids?

Nope.
Original post by Airmed
Yeah, I use naproxen mostly now.

Actually, no. Discovered it from a t-shirt I wore when I was a kid. It had glitter strips on it, and I broke out in striped rashes all across my stomach.

That must have been quite the shock with the t shirt, I suppose it's not something you d expect at all.
Reply 64
That must have been quite the shock with the t shirt, I suppose it's not something you d expect at all.

Yeah, it was, and it was so sore. :cry:
Original post by Airmed
Yeah, it was, and it was so sore. :cry:

Glitter seems so innocent when in fact it's incredibly evil
It's much less risky now my asthma is reasonably controlled but sometimes i guess i dont like the risk unless i m really in pain. I guess with lots of things to avoid food shopping might be more difficult for him but i guess if you grow up with anything it just becomes normal.

Mostly oil and sugar i guess?

I'm the same, when my asthma is playing up, I steer clear and just put up with the pain or take one of my other (prescription) painkillers which contain no paracetamol or ibuprofen (or codeine, horrible side effects for me)....but then I can't drive until they clear my system.

For youngest, he is going to uni next year and instead of listening to me trying to advise him, he has decided he is going to live on bowls of cereal and steamed veg.
Original post by Crazysue1
I'm the same, when my asthma is playing up, I steer clear and just put up with the pain or take one of my other (prescription) painkillers which contain no paracetamol or ibuprofen (or codeine, horrible side effects for me)....but then I can't drive until they clear my system.

For youngest, he is going to uni next year and instead of listening to me trying to advise him, he has decided he is going to live on bowls of cereal and steamed veg.

I ve only taken codiene once but with how my brain feels I hope to never take it again. I m sure he ll realise that's a boring diet quickly and will try other stuff.
Reply 68
no.
Original post by I'mJustSomeGuy

Nope.

That sucks, i think its incredibly difficult to get prescribed but i remember reading about this immunotherapy where they inject you with tiny amount of pollen to build up an immunity to it, although it takes months to have any effect.
That sucks, i think its incredibly difficult to get prescribed but i remember reading about this immunotherapy where they inject you with tiny amount of pollen to build up an immunity to it, although it takes months to have any effect.

Well, that's always an option if I ever need it.
If it's problems with your stomach, it's an intolerance. Allergy is more things like a skin rash.
I don't have any allergies but I know someone who can't eat wheat and another who can't eat gluten. (In a family where pretty much all their food is based around wheat products).
Made for tough food change.
Reply 73
I suppose you can go make up free and there's latex alternatives about although more expensive. Are the lilies not because of the insane amount of pollen they give off?

Yeah I do go makeup-free and use latex alternatives but it's just a nuisance😂
Reply 74
And i have just been diagnosed with an allergy to red wine :cry2:
Not quite an allergy or intolerance; but I've recently discovered that cream cheese (not sure if it's cheese or just cream cheese) gives me migraine.
Original post by Juno
And i have just been diagnosed with an allergy to red wine :cry2:

I can swap immune systems with you if you want?

Original post by Tiger Rag
Not quite an allergy or intolerance; but I've recently discovered that cream cheese (not sure if it's cheese or just cream cheese) gives me migraine.

Nothing else dairy wise does it?

Nothing else dairy wise does it?

No. I've had coffee and tea with milk today and have had no problems at all.
Original post by Tiger Rag
No. I've had coffee and tea with milk today and have had no problems at all.

Maybe it's something to do with the proteins in the cheese.

Quick Reply

Latest