The Student Room Group

Law at Warwick, Leeds, or York?

I've applied to Leeds, Warwick, and York to study the standard Law (LLB) three-year course in 2017 and cannot decide which of the three I prefer if I received offers from them.

I like Warwick because the course is very interesting/engaging, particularly as they try to contextualise what is taught. From what I've read they also have a very good reputation as a law school among firms and when I went to visit I did like the campus. However, like many, I am a little put off by how isolated it can seem, and its student satisfaction levels for Law are also pretty low, which I find odd. I couldn't find anything on TSR about why they were low either.

I love the city aspect of Leeds - it seems very busy and fun, with lots of societies and activities to take part in when you're there. They also have a lot of opportunities for law students, e.g. with their Justice Project and legal advice clinics, to get experience with the law outside your degree that isn't strictly firm-oriented. The thing I'm uncertain about is the fact that I haven't read much about Leeds and their graduate prospects/reputation as a law school among firms on TSR, and it seems to me that people seem to rank Warwick/York above Leeds when picking what to firm.

York is different as it's relatively newer but also has the problem-based learning system which I find intriguing. They also have a Law School Clinic which seems to have international ties (they offer international pro bono work) and is something I would definitely be interested in if I went. I haven't been to visit yet but I have a few friends who are currently studying there and they thoroughly enjoy it, I just again haven't read much about their reputation as a law school and how people find the PBL system.

Bit of a long-winded explanation but that's how I feel about the three options and I guess I just wanted to know if anybody had answers to the things I'm unsure about or could offer their opinions/experiences of studying Law at any of these unis?
(edited 7 years ago)
Warwick, then york, then Leeds.

Warwick has the strongest reputation overall.
Original post by AmyAlbertsLamb
Warwick, then york, then Leeds.

Warwick has the strongest reputation overall.

Could you possibly expand on that? Is there much of a difference between York and Leeds in terms of graduate prospects/reputation for law?
Original post by DunderMifflin1
Could you possibly expand on that? Is there much of a difference between York and Leeds in terms of graduate prospects/reputation for law?

I would definitely say that there are much better graduate prospects for law careers from studying law at Warwick. However even if this is not the case, going to Warwick gives you better graduate prospects for non-law careers. Sadly a lot of law graduates, even with fantastic grades, do not manage to have a law career so going to Warwick for law means you will have a much better chance getting a graduate job outside law if need be.

I also knew Warwick graduates who did other careers first which their degree at Warwick really helped them get into and then switched to law afterwards, so even then going to Warwick enabled them to get really good career experience which then allowed them to launch a career in law.
Original post by J-SP
There isn't really, from an employer's perspective anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. That's a relief to hear!
Original post by oiseaux_tropic
I would definitely say that there are much better graduate prospects for law careers from studying law at Warwick. However even if this is not the case, going to Warwick gives you better graduate prospects for non-law careers. Sadly a lot of law graduates, even with fantastic grades, do not manage to have a law career so going to Warwick for law means you will have a much better chance getting a graduate job outside law if need be.

I also knew Warwick graduates who did other careers first which their degree at Warwick really helped them get into and then switched to law afterwards, so even then going to Warwick enabled them to get really good career experience which then allowed them to launch a career in law.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been thinking the same things myself really, I'll just have to see how I feel if I get an offer and end up going to an offer holder's day. I might not receive an offer though, so time will tell I guess!

Do you happen to know anything about why student satisfaction levels are low for law at Warwick?
Original post by DunderMifflin1
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been thinking the same things myself really, I'll just have to see how I feel if I get an offer and end up going to an offer holder's day. I might not receive an offer though, so time will tell I guess!

Do you happen to know anything about why student satisfaction levels are low for law at Warwick?

The courses are really really challenging and the marking is often brutal. One of my friends studied French and she got a mediocre 2.1 for an essay and her friend from Leeds was visiting and read the essay and was amazed because at Leeds it would have been a first standard.

I don't want to talk down other universities, but the reason for really low student satisfaction at Warwick is that the courses are difficult. A lot of them are Oxbridge standard or even harder, but without the same level of intensive tuition/ tutor access that you get at Oxbridge, and also without the recognition that they are as challenging as an Oxbridge degree. Furthermore you often do a lot more exams during the year which count towards your final grade and this is really stressful, I remember having an exam/ major essay due every other week which counted towards my final grade and these were across multiple very different modules. Okay with Oxbridge it is big exams at the end of third year, but people underestimate how difficult it is to study for an exam when you literally finish the material for it sometimes a few days before the exam.

I know for a fact that a few years ago the economics and PPE undergraduate courses were harder at Warwick than the PPE course at Oxford and the economics one at Cambridge. An Oxford lecturer came and started to run the Warwick PPE course and was really surprised at how difficult it was and actually made it easier (and it is now probably easier than Oxford's). I think fortunately this is not the case anymore, but sometimes Warwick makes mistakes and makes its courses too difficult, to the extent it is questionable why you would go there because you are working so hard but don't have the recognition you get from Oxbridge.

I'm not saying Oxford's PPE/ economics courses were better than Oxford/ Cambridge's as they definitely weren't perceived this way, but for a few years they were definitely more difficult.

I actually think a major issue with Warwick is that they make some of their courses far too difficult.

Also if you study law there seriously consider doing the European law option where you can spend a year in Germany/ France etc and study in German/ French/ another language because it gives you fantastic career options. Cambridge used to do a dual law degree with a top French university as well but they got rid of it a few years ago due to lack of demand I think.
Reply 7
Original post by oiseaux_tropic
The courses are really really challenging and the marking is often brutal. One of my friends studied French and she got a mediocre 2.1 for an essay and her friend from Leeds was visiting and read the essay and was amazed because at Leeds it would have been a first standard.

I don't want to talk down other universities, but the reason for really low student satisfaction at Warwick is that the courses are difficult. A lot of them are Oxbridge standard or even harder, but without the same level of intensive tuition/ tutor access that you get at Oxbridge, and also without the recognition that they are as challenging as an Oxbridge degree. Furthermore you often do a lot more exams during the year which count towards your final grade and this is really stressful, I remember having an exam/ major essay due every other week which counted towards my final grade and these were across multiple very different modules. Okay with Oxbridge it is big exams at the end of third year, but people underestimate how difficult it is to study for an exam when you literally finish the material for it sometimes a few days before the exam.

I know for a fact that a few years ago the economics and PPE undergraduate courses were harder at Warwick than the PPE course at Oxford and the economics one at Cambridge. An Oxford lecturer came and started to run the Warwick PPE course and was really surprised at how difficult it was and actually made it easier (and it is now probably easier than Oxford's). I think fortunately this is not the case anymore, but sometimes Warwick makes mistakes and makes its courses too difficult, to the extent it is questionable why you would go there because you are working so hard but don't have the recognition you get from Oxbridge.

I'm not saying Oxford's PPE/ economics courses were better than Oxford/ Cambridge's as they definitely weren't perceived this way, but for a few years they were definitely more difficult.

I actually think a major issue with Warwick is that they make some of their courses far too difficult.

Also if you study law there seriously consider doing the European law option where you can spend a year in Germany/ France etc and study in German/ French/ another language because it gives you fantastic career options. Cambridge used to do a dual law degree with a top French university as well but they got rid of it a few years ago due to lack of demand I think.

So much BS I can't even handle it. And then people say Warwick students don't inflate their uni beyond oblivion.
Original post by _Fergo
So much BS I can't even handle it. And then people say Warwick students don't inflate their uni beyond oblivion.

Could you expand? What advice would you give when seeing the three choices I possibly face (depending on who rejects/accepts me)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending