Turn on thread page Beta
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hey everyone,

Milkround have put together the ultimate CV writing guide

http://advice.milkround.com/cv-writing-guide

What do you think of it? Has it helped you?Is there something else about CVs that needs to be included? I would love to know your opinions on this!

Also, when it comes to applying for you jobs, do you use advice sites like this? If so, is there any more advice pages like this you'd find useful, like one for interviews, for example?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Milkround)
    Hey everyone,

Milkround have put together the ultimate CV writing guide

http://advice.milkround.com/cv-writing-guide

What do you think of it? Has it helped you?Is there something else about CVs that needs to be included? I would love to know your opinions on this!

Also, when it comes to applying for you jobs, do you use advice sites like this? If so, is there any more advice pages like this you'd find useful, like one for interviews, for example?
    Why state whether you have a driving licence or not? It's not the employer's business how you travel too or from work, and if you are under 25 it's highly unlikely they will insure you for a business vehicle. Your driving licence status is only relevant for driving jobs or if specifically asked. The rules on driving professionally are extremely tight and employer's don't ask unless there is a well thought out professional requirement.

The reason for not putting your DoB on a CV is nothing to do with identity fraud - unless you have a particularly cynical view of the criminality of HR departments. it is because age is a protected characteristic, and by disclosing your age, marital status, faith etc, you 'force' the employer to know information they are not allowed to use in deliberating your application. This weakens their position in the event a disgruntled applicant make a case for discrimination. Hence, for their own protection, employers never want to know about protected characteristics, save for disability of provisions have to be made through the recruitment process.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

Oh this is interesting! I've looked through the articles on the advice hub, and I can't see anything about mentioning if you have a driving license- where did you read this?

(Original post by threeportdrift)
    Why state whether you have a driving licence or not? It's not the employer's business how you travel too or from work, and if you are under 25 it's highly unlikely they will insure you for a business vehicle. Your driving licence status is only relevant for driving jobs or if specifically asked. The rules on driving professionally are extremely tight and employer's don't ask unless there is a well thought out professional requirement.

The reason for not putting your DoB on a CV is nothing to do with identity fraud - unless you have a particularly cynical view of the criminality of HR departments. it is because age is a protected characteristic, and by disclosing your age, marital status, faith etc, you 'force' the employer to know information they are not allowed to use in deliberating your application. This weakens their position in the event a disgruntled applicant make a case for discrimination. Hence, for their own protection, employers never want to know about protected characteristics, save for disability of provisions have to be made through the recruitment process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milkround)
    Hi,

Oh this is interesting! I've looked through the articles on the advice hub, and I can't see anything about mentioning if you have a driving license- where did you read this?
    not the person who pointed this out, but its on the common cv mistakes and how to avoid them page

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the link you have shared here helped me a lot. Now my cv looks perfect and I have a got a call back. Thank you for your help.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.